-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I guess I'm an AR hick, then. If it's the person's first bird, I don't see anything wrong with ground smacking.

Like my kids' first grouse - take them while the bird is on the branch thinking WTF?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
I use that to refer to more than one though.

They don't in Arkansas. grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I still remember watching him hunt in Africa on some show, and they shot a duiker. Buck's first question was "are they good to eat?" The PH then told him they tend to eat the human crap around the villages. I think he still would have eaten the little bugger!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
AkMtnHntr
"LOL..........comparing a rapist to illegal guide activities is a bit of a stretch don't you think?"

Agreed they are nothing like alike... Have never seen a rapist get his airplane taken away, either! wink

I have seen rapists get far less. And that is not by way of saying poachers should get off light, just that true violent criminals often get lighter sentences.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ironbender
The egg cure book is the single highest selling book ever put out by Amato Press... I asked here for cure recipes for Scott and picked up several for him that are in the book.

I have let kids ground swat their first bird... though film might sway my opinion on that. Once they get some age or experience the ground swatting is over...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
I guess I'm an AR hick, then. If it's the person's first bird, I don't see anything wrong with ground smacking.

Like my kids' first grouse - take them while the bird is on the branch thinking WTF?

It was a pointed pheasant, just to be clear. Now, to be unclear, a grouse on a limb seems okay for some reason, although I'd prefer flight.

Just last weekend we were out and I had a youngster with me carrying a Red Ryder because 1. He wouldn't stay home (God bless him). and 2. It was a good chance to teach the safety and procedures of bird hunting.

Anyway, he had been real good but was vexed because I wouldn't let him cock the RR, when he spotted an unpointed quail on the ground. To reward his sharp eye, I told him to go ahead and take a shot with the BB gun. That made the bird fly and we added him to the bag. That may be putting too fine a point on it, but to me there was a significant difference. YMMV

I never shot an unwounded pheasant on the ground, but I have shot a few that were still retracting their landing gear. smile

Another boy that was with us did shoot his first pheasant and quail flying with his first two shots. That was my pal, Max, whom I haven't mentioned much lately, but I was awful proud of him - not just for his shooting but his general conduct and safe gun handling.

It was a pretty special day.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sounds like it was a grand day!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I forgot about ol'Buck.You mean he still has a show. I guess thats one reason I don't watch much T.V.(unless the Steelers are playing!)I remember one show,one of the only ones of his I watched,where he was catching Silvers and KICKING them back in the river.He was on a river in the Gulf of Alaska.Always wondered if it was the Tsiu!?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen the idiot doing the kick-to-release move on at least one show before... Saw a guy get ticketed for that once and believe it should be more strictly enforced. If you are too lazy to bend over and release fish you should quit...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The shape he was in last time I saw his show, I'm not sure he could bend over, and that's been ~ 20 years ago.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pusgut still applies...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Buck is a true dumbass.

I watched him on a hunt in central Montana. He was packing some fancy looking braked rifle with a 50mm scope.

Shot an antelope at about 200 yards square in the ass, chased it for awhile and shot it a couple more times. Ugly, couldn't believe it made television.

On the same hunt he shot a little mulie right in the antlers at maybe 100 yards. Funnier than hell...

Douchebag extraordinaire.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am seeing an episode on duck hunting in Mexico... I googled him and found you guys...

He has a basketball player,Orlando ??, and some other guy.. This is the worst...The shooting sucks.. They are missing or winging them at best.. The shooting is childlike and the banter is not much better...Not one bird have these jerk offs picked up..

I can't believe this guy has a show... He must had inherited a ton of money to fund this....

He just said
"as fast as the birds are moving you have to hit them with 2 shots"
... My God........ mad

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Buck is a true dumbass."

Concise and to the point. I like.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sorry! Don't watch this crap! I'd have to be squatted on the schitter cuz that's what they'd give me if I partook of all the horseschitt they put out!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colorado Buck?

Barf, gag.........

Forget about anything good on hunting shows, that is except for Tiffany. Hawt......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Love the safety aspect of shooting skylined deer... Must have ground penetrating radar vision to make that right...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Love the safety aspect of shooting skylined deer... Must have ground penetrating radar vision to make that right...

+1
I watched that episode.
Ole Buck was thrilled with killing the two year old pencil horned buck, upon retrieval he says to the guide something to the effect of "Damn, now that's a trophy eh, must go at least 300 lbs!"

That was the first time I'd ever seen him on TV.

It was more than enough...

eek

Proud NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I watched one episode years ago which featured his patented "kick-release" fishing method. That was enough.

Was in the same room with him once at the SHOT Show. Did not ask for his autograph.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (16gage, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.