Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've just have to share this. The top skull is a bear skull that JJHack cleaned for me. The second skull is one I did myself. I wish I would of known Jim before I did it myself. His work is extremely clean, bright white, and impressive. Notice how gray and cracked the skull I did appears. That's because I boiled mine. Jim uses beetles to clean skulls and the results are outstanding! The bottome photo is just for comparison. <BR> [Linked Image] <BR> [Linked Image] <BR> [Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beetles huh? That might be a solution for E4E and Tex. They could mail JJ their underwear and the beetles could get it clean for them. Anybody wear false teeth? No more brown stains, just buy some beetles from JJ and let them work on your teeth every night while you sleep. Seems like there are other uses out there for these little critters....<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to second Big Sky's kudo's to JJ. I got my black bear skull back in December. Everyone I show it to is very impressed by its pristine condition. Good luck, Troy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother in law does his own European mounts, and washes them in a clorox solution to whiten when he's done boiling them. ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chlorine Bleach has a very bad effect on the bones causing them to become chalk like. It also continues to have this effect as long as the bone lasts. There is no practical way to neutralize it. The bleach will continue to break down the bone forever. <P>On ungulates(hoofed game) the problem is not that bad becuase the skulls are not scored. However on carnivore skulls it is critical to maintian the maximum size for scoring purposes. <P>If used and dilluted a lot it will work OK but there is a fine line between to much and not enough to really get them white. jj

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fellow skullkeepers, thanks for sending the photos. I must second JJ's statement that bleach will make skulls chalky. I hvae done the skulls of several medium-sized whitetails using a bleach solution after natural critters (and pliers, scrubbrushes, etc.) were used for the major defleshing. The skulls that are as white as I like are also "chalky". They're not totally brittle like chalk, but the surface of the horn can be rubbed off in flakes/dust with your fingernail. This is after a couple years. If I had a really nice skull, any species, I would not use this amateurish method.<P>Let's get more skulls, Talus

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those interested there is several time lapsed photo's of a grizzly bear skull from frozen to finished on my web site. You can see just how effective a beetle colony can be cleaning bones. It is at:<BR><A HREF="http://www.customosteo.com" TARGET=_blank>www.customosteo.com</A>

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just checked out the bugs at work--pretty impressive! I didn't realize that they did it so fast! Thanks for education JJ! Geez, the things you can learn at this site....<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Now that is COOL !<P>--Steve

--Steve
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll third Big Sky and Troy's kudo's. JJ did my lion and bear from last year and both are wonderful trophies.

IC B3

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For any of you bear,cougar,boar hunters or anyone else that wants a skull cleaned you really owe it to yourself to let JJHack clean one of your trophy skulls. His work really has to be seen in person to be appreciated. I've worked in several taxidermy shops and have cleaned a number of skulls myself. I've seen literally hundreds if not thousands of cleaned skulls do to my interests/hobbys and my occupation as an artist. The work JJ does is in a class all it's own. I've never seen better or even a close second to the quality of the skulls he cleans. His level of quality brings it up to an art form. I hope that a few of you bear hunters this spring will give his skull cleaning business a try I know you won't be dissapointed. Oh and btw, I don't get a thing for posting this. In fact I've never met JJ in person (although I hope to someday) I'm just one extremely satisfied customer!

Is it Friday yet?
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big Sky,<P>I absolutely intend to send JJ some skulls to clean! Hopefully from this Spring, but there's always the Fall...<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (79S, 673, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 26 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,430
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.