Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My son collects assault weapons !

An open letter to the hunting and sportsmen's community.

Dear community,

My son collects assault weapons against my wishes. This was a statement I previously made exercising my First Amendment rights on two other hunting & shooting form that ultimately led to being banned . Also my position on dry -firing being unsafe practice. This all came about after posting a short story I had written called (Nowhere to run) about one of my hunting experiences years ago.

I myself personally love the sport of hunting , collecting guns and have been doing so for over 40 years. I'm also a drafted Vietnam veteran that served my country with pride during that conflict and am a strong believer in both the first, second amendments.

My son is of legal age to purchase these weapons and several times I?ve accompanied him during the process. He has purchased both the AK -47 and AR-15 assault rifles. The AR -15 is nothing more than a copy of the military M-16 and according to my DD214 records I previously qualified as an expert with this weapon.

The reason I'm starting this discussion is because of my very strong views that there should be better background checks on those purchasing these weapons. I am in no way supportive of any law that would banned these weapons or any other.

Enclosing , both these weapons have what is called steel jacket ammunition available just for the asking. For those of you that does not know what this is, its armor piercing ammunitions that is virtually unstoppable.

Both these weapons were designed for one thing and one thing only ,to kill people! I was told on both forms to renounce my citizenship because of these views by those who have never picked up a weapon to defend any amendment. I will however renounce my involvement in the sport of hunting if need be to help secure better background checks on these two weapons.

Larry Martin

Last edited by larrymartin; 03/21/04.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get a life Sir, it is not the weapon it is the person with it. Show me the first firearm that has loaded itself and harmed, yes harmed not just killed and I will melt mine down and make a boat anchor.

Any rifle ammo is capable of defeating most body armor so what is your point on the "steel jacket" ammo? By the way, steel jacket ammo is not the armor piercing stuff, it is the stuff with the tungsten core that is.

Again get a life, and get your facts straight before you start to run off at the mouth (keyboard). The second amendment IS NOT about hunting. IT IS about the right of the citizenry to be armed and able to defend themselves.

Just because something "looks intimidating" does not mean it has super powers, they are simply semi-auto firearms that are LEGAL to own and shoot.

Go post on the Brady or DNC sites if you want sympathy for your views Sir!

FWIW I am also a RSVN veteran, only my ASN starts out RA!

Last edited by T LEE; 03/21/04.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[

"Again get a life, and get your facts straight before you start to run off at the mouth (keyboard). The second amendment IS NOT about hunting. IT IS about the right of the citizenry to be armed and able to defend themselves."

I'm curious, what part of the Second Amendment would be or is denied with background checks?

You Sir are exercising your First Amendment rights in addressing my post , but would have others denied if they happened to disagree with your views.Now that's a real patriate!

LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Sir are more than welcome to speak your piece, just, like I said, get your facts straight. What is with the background thing? All firearms purchases need one already. I believe you are makeing a problem where one does not exist. How about background checks before you can buy a car or install a swimming pool? Both those items kill and maim hundreds, maybe even thousands more than ALL firearms in this country each year.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You Sir are more than welcome to speak your piece, just, like I said, get your facts straight. What is with the background thing? All firearms purchases need one already. I believe you are makeing a problem where one does not exist. How about background checks before you can buy a car or install a swimming pool? Both those items kill and maim hundreds, maybe even thousands more than ALL firearms in this country each year.

What facts don't I have straight? As a law-abiding citizen in this country and under our Constitution both first/ second have a right to asked for better guns laws be it background checks or otherwise. Even if these laws disagree with your views.

best regards

Larry

IC B2

RRW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Probably had quite a few whining about the Henry rifle after the civil war. The list is as long as the ones crying about them.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There's a very big difference between Henry rifle of that era and what's is labeled and design as an assault weapon that can be turned into completely automatic with very little effort.. Your argument just doesn't hold water and is a joke in a civilized society.

best regards

Larry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

What facts don't I have straight? As a law-abiding citizen in this country and under our Constitution both first and second have a right to asked for better guns laws be it background checks or otherwise. Even if these laws disagree with your views.

best regards
Larry

Under the first amendment you indeed have a right to voice your opinion and call for all the laws you want, I am allowed to dissgree with you under the same amendment. The second amendment protects both of us our right to keep and bear arms, and it does not say "Except this one or that one. Italso says nothing about background checks or any of the 20 some thousand gun laws now on the books in this country.

Enclosing , both these weapons have what is called steel jacket ammunition available just for the asking. For those of you that does not know what this is, its armor piercing ammunitions that is virtually unstoppable
Steel jacket Ammunition is NOT armor piercing for starters.
Both these weapons were designed for one thing and one thing only ,to kill people!

Then why is the M-16/AR-15 family of rifles used in service matches? Why are they used in predetor control by many in the farming and ranching community?

Again, they are simply another tool for people to use, any tool can be abused or used inappropiatly, that does not make it a bad tool. It does in some cases make a PERSON a criminal.

Do you have a car or a pool? All I am asking for is more common sense laws to govern there purchase.
Now does that make any sense, I think it does, they are far more dangerous and deadly than ALL the firearms in the WORLD.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If anyone cares to go back and look you'll see I've never said anything about these weapons being bad or in anyway support any kind of banning . Only better background checks in those seeking them for work are otherwise. If those purchasing cars and/or pools want to see better background checks more power to them. Who would I be to disagree and frankly could care less. These items do not propose a threat to the hunting community like assault weapons.

best regards

Larry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a very big difference between Henry rifle of that era and what's is labeled and design as an assault weapon that can be turned into completely automatic with very little effort.. Your argument just doesn't hold water and is a joke in a civilized society.

best regards
Larry

Excuse me! They are not easy to convert, they have been engineed to make it extremly difficult in fact. Also if you have not noticed, IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSSES ANY PARTS (EVEN ONE (1) OF A DOZEN NEEDED) THAT WILL MAKE IT SO! Don't take my word for it, check it out at The BATF web site. One of the more common falsehoods propagated by the Brady bunch and their ilk. Your argument just doesn't hold water and is a joke in an educated and civilized society.

BTW, at one time the Roman short sword was the state of the art "assault weapon". That term changes with the era and really has no true meaning. If I go after someone with a ball peen hammer, it is at that point in time is an "assaul weapon".

Also, just for your edification, go the the Dept. of Justice site and cruise around to find out about "Assault weapons" use in crimes. this from the site:
During the offense that brought them to prison, 15% of State inmates and 13% of Federal inmates carried a handgun, and about 2%, a military-style semiautomatic gun .
Emphasis mine.

Old cat turd!

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The fact is these weapons can be easily converted into fully automatic with very little effort. Actually, this information was made available to my son at time of purchase of his AK47. As for the 20,000 laws that you claim that are already on the books that need to be enforced is only an excuse. But then again maybe you have stock in assault weapons manufactures and benefit financial.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fact is these weapons can be easily converted into fully automatic with very little effort. Actually, this information was made available to my son at time of purchase of his AK47. As for the 20,000 laws that you claim that are already on the books that need to be enforced is only an excuse. But then again maybe you have stock assault weapons manufactures and benefit financial.

Actually neither myself or any in the family have any so called "assault weapons", nor do we own any stock in anything. The 20,000 figure is actually rather conservative I believe, if you count the local and municiple ones. The assault weapons ban has been proven to have done absolutly no good at all. As to instructions on making his "AK-47" (which he does NOT own or it would already be select fire) the AKM and other imports are not easy to change and do not share the proper machining of their military look alikes to make it easy to do.

PLEASE do some research first before you run around screaming "the sky is falling" Sir. And I don't mean at the Brady site either, go right to the government sources I provided, they will give you the TRUTH!

And again, this has ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING, but if Teddy,Feinsien, Boxer, Brady and company had there way even "Hunting" rifles" would be banned for the same reasons you are claiming for the "assault weapons".

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As an addendum to the last post. Anybody that even gives instruction on converting common rifles to automatic weapon is usually either full of crap or lying through their teeth. Yes it can be done, but requires some serious mechanical ability and some pretty sophisticated tools. Also the information is protected by the same first amendment you are using.

I have heard all the armchair commando crap about paper clips and rubber bands, bunch of Bovine excrement Sir.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"The assault weapons ban has been proven to have done absolutly no good at all."

Please get your facts straight, nowhere have I suggested the banning of any weapon. Nor would I support any law or efforts to create one, that also includes fully automatic weapons. The fact I would support laws that would require background checks similar to those for handguns, does not make me part of any group be it Teddy, Feinsien, Boxer, Brady and company are otherwise.

best regards

Larry Martin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OK, there it is:
The fact I would support laws that would require background checks similar to those for handguns
They are one and the same Sir, the forms do not diferentiate between handguns and long guns. The ony time it comes into consideration is on the NICS check, they want to know if it is a handgun or long gun when taking the info to run it. The 4473 asks the same questions no matter what you are buying.

The "Brady Bill" mandates the same background check for both handguns and longguns. There are no other background checks for ANY firearm purchase Sir.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both these weapons were designed for one thing and one thing only ,to kill people!

Then mine must be malfunctioning!

(Thanks, Ted...)

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All my guns are in the same boat as yours Barak. Where ya been, we have missed ya Sir?

Old cat turd!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact is these weapons can be easily converted into fully automatic with very little effort.
the AKM and other imports are not easy to change and do not share the proper machining of their military look alikes to make it easy to do.

You're both right.

First, a semiauto action has to be smarter than a full-auto action, because it has to be able to count up to 1. A full-auto action simply keeps cycling and cycling and cycling, until the magazine/belt is empty or the trigger is released. A semiauto action has to be able to cycle as well, but it also has to count up to 1 and then stop cycling. This generally requires at least one more moving part, sometimes several.

Making a smart machine dumber is almost always pretty easy--it involves jamming something, filing something, removing something. Making a dumb machine smarter generally requires a complete redesign.

In every semiauto firearm I've ever owned, whether handgun, rifle, or shotgun, I've been able to identify through inspection a specific piece of metal that, if ground off with a Dremel tool--the work of five minutes, maybe--would make the gun full-automatic. There are a couple of caveats, of course.

One, of course, is that the semiauto capability would be destroyed: it would thereafter be very difficult to fire just one shot. (Some designs are engineered such that if you grind off the piece of metal in question, a trigger release will no longer stop the cycle: pull the trigger once and the magazine will always empty itself.)

The other is that most semiauto guns are not designed to fire full-auto; they're not toleranced, timed, or cooled for it. If you grind off the appropriate piece of metal and hold the trigger down, they'll most probably fire two or three rounds and jam so hard they have to be taken apart to be cleared. My father had a semiauto 22LR that he shot literally to pieces over the course of several decades; but during the last few years of its life, it was so worn that it would frequently go spontaneously full-auto until it jammed; and a couple of times, even after taking it apart, he wasn't sure he'd be able to get it unjammed. Luckily, it had a hole milled in the left side of the action so that you could shove the bolt handle in and lock the bolt forward to fire, then unlock it and cycle it manually. If you cycled it by hand, it worked fine.

But military assault weapons are generally select-fire, which in most cases means they have a safety that switches between safe, semiauto, and full-auto. (Sometimes there's a burst mode as well.) That makes them even smarter than a semiauto-only gun; it is essentially impossible to take a comparatively dumb semiauto-only gun and make it smart enough to be select-fire. Sometimes manufacturers deliberately make it even more difficult by using completely different, incompatible actions for their select-fire and semiauto versions.

As for the danger of light full-automatic weapons, I'm not particularly concerned. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to shoot at me under any circumstances, but if I had to be shot at, I'd much rather be shot at by somebody with a hand-held submachine gun or assault rifle than with a decent semiauto battle rifle like the M1, the M14, or the FAL. I suspect I'd be much more likely to escape unscathed. General-purpose machine guns and heavy machine guns certainly have their place, but light machine guns and submachine guns are essentially uncontrollable ammunition wasters, especially in inexperienced hands.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
both these weapons have what is called steel jacket ammunition available just for the asking. For those of you that does not know what this is, its armor piercing ammunitions that is virtually unstoppable.

Any centerfire rifle bullet will defeat most body armor, regardless of how it is or isn't jacketed. If it doesn't defeat the armor, it'll likely break enough bones to put the wearer out of action anyway.

But steel-jacketed ammunition is not what people call armor-piercing. Steel-jacketed ammunition is made by folks who are too cheap to make copper-jacketed ammunition, simply because steel is cheaper than copper. It doesn't have measurably more penetration than copper FMJ in realistic targets, but it does certainly tear up rifle barrels quicker. (The same folks make steel-cased ammunition as well--again, because steel is cheaper than brass, even if it's hard on chambers and extractors.)

If you want enhanced penetration, then you want a hard core, not a hard jacket. Steel- or tungsten-cored ammunition will do a better job on steel-plate armor than lead-cored ammunition will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where ya been, we have missed ya Sir?

Most of my time these days (since The Real Hawkeye turned me into an anarchist) I spend over on the Liberty Forum (http://www.libertyforum.com). I still check this place from time to time, when I have a chance, but I'm still consistently amazed at how little interest folks on a sportsman's website have in individual liberty. I love guns, but I love liberty more, and my guns are mostly just tools for defending my liberty. So when I have time for only one website, I usually stay over on the Liberty Forum.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.