-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I need to repair some scratches in a CZ Redhead stock's finish. It's a colored built up finish (like varnish or polyurethane?), and I'm not sure where to start as I've only dealt with in-the-wood finishes up to this point. Is there any good way to repair scratches in a built up finish or does the whole stock need refinishing?

I checked Brownells, and they list several products such as Gun Sav'r and Pilkington. I'm hoping someone here might point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

Huntin' season yet?

The Freewheeling Tony Smith
Gunsmith/Machinist/Engine Builder
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tony, Is the wood stained or do you think the color is in the finish. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Unfortunately the color is in the finish. That's what's got me wondering what to use. I know how to fix the scratches (sand out and feather into the surrounding area) but I'm not sure what products to try for filling the scratches and matching the color.

Huntin' season yet?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sanding out the scratches will leave a larger damaged area to repair. If deep dings need repairing try to raise the grain without disturbing the finish around and on top of the ding. It ain't easy.

A drop of Formby's Furniture refinisher will sometimes (Probably in this case) soften the finish and allow it to be redistributed. GO VERY SLOWLY! Do not get carried away, if it starts looking good, stop! Let it dry and go at it again later. If you go too far it cannot be saved without a lot of work.

A little drop of plain oil rubbed in and allowed to cure will start to let you know if it is going to work. Do your polishing in the oil on top of your repair.

This works with monster dings sometimes, but it is a matter of how much original finish is left on and in the ding.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Sitka. I'll have to try that Formby's refinisher.

Huntin' season yet?

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Brownells makes powder dies you can mix with water to match any finish..go slow and use it on the inside of the stock until you make a match..then lift and sand the area put on the matching stain and finish with Gun SavR, its real good stuff..Remember stain gets a tad lighter as it cures but if its a tad dark you usually polish of sand it back to a lighter matching color and you can always start over until you get it right. Stockmakers even have this problem with little spots of sap wood from time to time.

I really hate to finish a stained rifle, would rather cut it back to the wood and refinish the whole stock without stain unless it's just bad wood..CZ is usually plain but its European walnut and finishes well..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CZ uses really nice wood, then they cover it up with the mud they call finish. Sounds like a good summer project. Seal it up now then refinish it later. I have a CZ rimfire that is going to get TC1s treatment. Maybe a checkering panel added.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is insane to think you are going to sand out large areas on a really thin finish and color it back exactly like the original finish. Either try to do spot repairs as small as possible or do the whole thing...

Most folks cannot see color well enough to get a true match.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1eyedmule, 219DW, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 68 invisible), 3,513 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,751
Posts18,535,546
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.