Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks, I will look around. I prefer wood over the synthetic. If anyone sees one please message me.

I have a friend who has shot elk in double digits with a kimber 260. using trophy bonded bearclaws. His statement was "it tips em over". I like the thought of minimal recoil with a penetrating bullet.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I knew this kind of day would come back when I bought my first Ruger Stainless 260... I knew I'd always want to not be without one, so I bought another one when BiMart had a sale on Rugers...

The second one I bought had set in our local store on the rack for over 3 years.. they let me have it for like $329.00...

I replaced the boat paddle stocks with laminate ones.. one a Boyd's Grey Laminate, and the other with a regular Ruger Factory Brown laminate stock...

I'd recommend a Ruger short action and just get an ER Shaw if you want to go economy and get a good barrel.. or go with a Pac Nor if you want to spend more on a barrel..

A Pac Nor will shoot better than a Shaw, but I can't shoot better with the Pac Nor than I can with the Shaw...

the Ruger 260s are a nice package...I have a Shaw barrel on order that will go on a Model 70 SA in 243 right now...bigger and heavier than the Ruger tho...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a regular Ruger Factory Brown laminate stock

I've often thought I'd like to put one of those on my SS MkII in .260. That or a black/grey laminate. Suppose they can be bought through the factory?

BTW Seafire, did your stainless MkII come w/ alum or steel bottom metal? Mine is aluminum and I'd prefer steel, just as my other MkII model has.

Speaking of subject rifle, I decided I wanted a 22" sporter in .260 shorlty after the MkIIs were discontinued. I found mine via a cold call to a gun shop that I'd done business with a few years ago. Dumb luck, but they had one. This was before I found the Rem 700 ADL .260 that I originally wanted.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You could phone Dan Pederson http://www.cutrifle.com and ask him what a rebore would cost.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand your want for a 260 but truth be told the 7mm-08 is the same+ as the 260 with the only minor downside of not being able to shoot the excellent Hornady 95 grain V-max's for vermin work. Hornady does make a 120 gr. V-max however with the same BC though maybe 100 fps slower out of a 7mm-08 compared to the 260 with the 95. Other than that bullet I see no reason why a 260 is preferable over a 7mm-08.
Long way of saying Ruger does make a Hawkeye in 7mm-08.
I do not think they make the stainless model with a walnut stock but Boyds does offer a factory drop in walnut stock for 150ish.
I'm sure a SS Hawkeye dropped into a Boyds walnut stock would look very sweet and basically be just what you are looking for albeit it will say 7mm-08 on the barrel. Basically the same big critter killer performance with modest weight,high BC projectiles via low powder consumption/recoil
FWIW.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks everybody. You gave me a lot to think about. The Cutrifle website actually quote $220 for a rebore only. If a guy bought the rifle right that would be within reach.

Soli Deo Gloria

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by biglmbass

I've often thought I'd like to put one of those on my SS MkII in .260. That or a black/grey laminate. Suppose they can be bought through the factory?

BTW Seafire, did your stainless MkII come w/ alum or steel bottom metal? Mine is aluminum and I'd prefer steel, just as my other MkII model has.

I purchased my boat paddle 260 with the understanding that a fellow would trade me the laminate stock from his 22-250. He already had a whole series of the boat paddle Rugers and wanted the 22-250 to match the rest.

But he must have decided he liked the laminate because the deal fell through.

Anyhow, I sent my barreled action back to the factory and asked them to fit it with the nutmeg laminate stock. I really like the SS with brown laminate, and I think the laminate gives one a lot more options for bedding and accurizing work.

Both of the SS Mk II 260's I purchased came with SS bottom metal.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
$220 is indeed a great price. Does it include dismounting the barrel and reassembly?

The last rebore place I spoke to mentioned that one has to run a chamber reamer in to cut the appropriate free bore and to cut the neck portion of the chamber. So there is that extra cost.

If the chamber does not clean up properly, then the 'smith will have to set the barrel back.

And of course, one must consider the option of having the action trued or the locking lugs lapped, since the barrel is off anyway.

PAc-Nor charges $280 for a SS supermatch barrel and $300 to chamber it, lap the lugs, true the action, and put it all together properly.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by biglmbass

Speaking of subject rifle, I decided I wanted a 22" sporter in .260 shorlty after the MkIIs were discontinued. I found mine via a cold call to a gun shop that I'd done business with a few years ago. Dumb luck, but they had one. This was before I found the Rem 700 ADL .260 that I originally wanted.

Mine came with SS bottom metal.. the boat paddle ones had SS and the newer synthetic went to aluminium...

Boyd's stock which are pretty easy to finish are in the neighborhood of $100.00.. pretty close to drop in and has a recoil pad.. I've done about 12 of them... and have one on order now...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for the heads-up Idaho shooter.

Soli Deo Gloria

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
OK! I now have a boat paddle .260 in my possession. I have a question about Ruger wood stocks. Will Mk-II and Hawkeye short action stocks be a virtual drop-in for this barreled action? Just wanted to know before I go to the classified section. As always, thanks for the help in advance.
oldtrapper

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Should be a honeymoon fit. grin

Best Regards

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Thanks folks. CT, you are right about the price of a Kimber but what about the additional cost of getting things ironed out with the Kimber if it has problems. In truth, I really like the look and design of the Hawkeye - just wish it came in .260 Rem.

Perhaps a student loan for that Kimber education smile

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks folks.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought my son a Ruger SS MKII on here for $400 shipped. I had the rifle bedded and it shoots lights out.
I know its not a Hawkeye, but finding one like it may be your best bet, other than a rebarrel.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." Luke 11:21
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,792
Posts18,536,373
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.