Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Add the 1999 (montana?) they are cast by Ruger

HR IC

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those investment cast actions have been tested.........and they are STRONGER than tried & true forgeings. The castings will handle higer loads before they ultimately fail.

Weatherby actions are not investment cast. Nor are there bolts.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No offense, but I don't believe castings are stronger than forgings given the same dimensions of parts.

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rugers M77's are stronger than M70's. I will try to find the link to the arcticle regarding this. I own both. The sizes of the actions & bolts are pretty close. I found it hard to believe it at first as well.

Bottom line........they are all stromg enough. And I'd rather have a bolt that does not pull off when Mr Murphy decides it's your turn smile

When I was at Ruger the high-strength
parts, such as rifle receivers and bolts or revolver frames were all
X-ray quality and ultrasonically tested. They are in fact stronger than
forged parts made by traditional stock removal machining methods.

Can't find the article I was looking for but I found this one:

http://yarchive.net/gun/investment_casting.html

Last edited by WJU; 01/05/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not to start a flame war or anything, but knowing a thing or two about castings, forgings, and machining, I can assure you that castings have never seen the day that they'll hold up to a forging that has been properly machined.

Casting is a short-cut for saving money. It was never developed to enhance strength or dependability. It was a bean counter's idea of getting something done in a less-costly approach...no more....no less...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have seen a Mark V, Sako 75 & Model 70 action let go. The Mark V was the big one. Forged action & bolt. I don't nor have I ever owned a Ruger M77 but I can honestly say I have never seen or heard of a single one ever letting go.
My friend witnessed a Ruger M77 action that went through hell. Long story short. First round became stuck(not sure why?), apparently just after the lands(slight bulge), second shot was fired eek not knowing the first didn't exit the barrel. End result. Second pill push the first out crazy . All the Ruger M77 received was a bent claw-extractor & slight barrel bulge. Please don't tell me the Ruger M77 action/investment cast is not as strong as forged because that's BS that some are selling & I'm not buying.

Taking my rifle for a walk
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seen the exact same scenario you've described on a Remington 721, as well as a post and pre-64 model 70..........All shootable after the incident.

I've tossed enough castings into a chip bin that weren't suitable to be machined to form an opinion.

Talk to anyone that has some serious machining experience, as well as the folks that study metallurgy in depth, and you'll hear the same news..............

It's not new news for anyone who makes a living making chips.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have you ever heard of a Ruger M77 letting go? Just for curiosity sake wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you do a cast versus forged search,and look at applications outside of the firearms industry,you will see that opinions and results vary regarding which is stonger or better.

Even the experts disagree,so I doubt we'll solve anything here,except to say that modern quality actions made of modern steels are very strong and safe unless abused beyond any reasonable limits.

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree. And they are all strong enough .

I do like the fact that it enables me to buy a CRF rifle....LEFT HANDED.....and have a 1pc bolt. At a very reasonable price. All steel. No plastic parts.

Last edited by WJU; 01/06/09.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 340Wby

If letting go is defined by the front receiver ring split open like a beer can..........Yeah, I've seen it.

None of the modern actions made are indestructible in the hands of the right dimwit.

The old Arisakas might be the closest to that pinnacle.

Do a little history on castings and when you're done, you'll find out why they are around...............Cost.

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If letting go is defined by the front receiver ring split open like a beer can..........Yeah, I've seen it.

None of the modern actions made are indestructible in the hands of the right dimwit.

The old Arisakas might be the closest to that pinnacle.

Do a little history on castings and when you're done, you'll find out why they are around...............Cost.

Very true...."just when you think something is idiot proof......God creates a better idiot"

So yes, I am sure someone out there could bungle his/her way into wiping out any action.

As far as Investment casting being used as a cost savings production method, I agree that it is. But as long as it works. As long as it is more than strong enough (which Ruger in particular has proven) As long as we can get sound actions at a very reasonable cost. I say GREAT! smile The only reason I started pointing any of this out is that some of the posts listed actions & bolts as being �cast� in a way that made it seem they were vastly inferior or worse yet�.cast iron like. Not the case at all.

Has anyone seen any study that was done testing current actions to destruction? I have read older ones done where the very utilitarian WWII Arisakas Was listed as being the strongest action going. I do not recall seeing anything done with modern actions. It would be most interesting to see how modern steels hold up.

Last edited by WJU; 01/06/09.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
Originally Posted by 340Wby

Hmmmm interesting. Thanks for that info.

_
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
_
Late to this (as usual grin), the Howa 1500 is a one-piece bolt as far as I can tell (push feed of course).

Peter

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have we determined if the new FN has the same bolt design as the Classic or 64? One-piece would be nice this time around!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
FN bolt and the New Haven Classic bolt both have the seam and are 2 piece.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
As far as I know, the new M70 is still two piece. Commercial Mausers (like the FN) are sort of one piece. Thebolt is machined with the root of the bolt handle integral with the body and the handle itself is welded on. The same was true of the early Brno rifles as well as the Husqvarnas. It seems to me, some of the BRNO actions feature a bolt handle which was pinned and silver soldered. The welded handle is a decent system as it allows the use of 1" stock for the bolt body and an attachment for the handle which is nearly as strong as if it was integral (assuming a good weld, of course). It would be relatively easy to make a Model 70 bolt this way and it is one change I would make if I had anything to do with it.
The Ruger might well be stronger than the Model 70 simply because the locking lugs are larger. In addition, the right hand lug on the M70 push feed actions is essentially hollow. GD

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Isn't the bolt body and lugs one piece? I may have read the original question wrong, but I think that question was also asked.

Those two lugs take a lot of abuse. Surely they are not welded on...

I have never had a bolt handle come off in my hand, but I am not sure I want to fire a bolt action rifle with bolt lugs welded or brazed on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The lugs on the M70 are one-piece.

Question: Are the lugs on the Remington 700 one piece?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know about lugs on the Remington 700 being one piece or not. I just assumed that all bolt lugs were one piece with the bolt body...Never thought about that not being the case.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.