Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm looking to make a move, selling my CETME and picking up a semi-auto 308 that doesn't trash the brass since I'm starting to reload 308. My CETME actually works well and is pretty accurate and very fun, but I would think the brass is non-reloadable. I know the PTR91/HK would be the same and I've been told the FAL would be in the same boat.

Right now it seems a SA M1A is $1500 at the cheapest. I might be able to save a few hundred on an AR10. I would be scoping either one and using it mostly at the range for fun 100-200 yards, rarely longer ranges/or varmints.

Anybody own both and care to share their opinion?

Other option is a 308 Saiga. I have a SAR1 ak47 type and its very fun and reliable. Not super accurate though. Looks like these are just over $500 non-converted.

Anyone know what gun is easiest on brass for reloading?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I did this:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=18

Reloads are very easy.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks BMT. What kind of MOA do you get?

anyone bought an ar10 post election and found a good price???

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Had a SOCOM 16 and a AR10.
After two years of shooting I still have the AR10 the SOCOM is gone.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Prone over a log at 325 yards I can hit a "man" steel plate (17 inches tall, 12 inches wide) five out of five, rapid fire.

From a bench it will do 1.25 inches at 200 yards (Black Hills 175 grain match ammo).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lewis perkins
Had a SOCOM 16 and a AR10.
After two years of shooting I still have the AR10 the SOCOM is gone.

Word to the wise.

BMT

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would LOVE to have a good M1A. I mean, it's an American classic. Having said that I have heard, from more than one source mind you, that it takes some TLC from someone who knows what he's doing to keep one really "tuned up".

Personally I've got a somewhat tricked out AP4 like BMT.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have both.
My M1A is a Smith Enterprises build on an E2 stock.The softest shooting 308 that I have.

My Armalite AR10 has a couple of uppers. One is the 20" infantry weight[light] barrel. It shoots MOA with some of my surplus ammo.

The other is a GAP built upper w/ a Schneider barrel....scary accurate approaching 1/2 MOA out to 800 or so...but it is anything but light.

As to preferences...I am more comfortable with the M1A having shot it MUCH longer but it does require a little more TLC to keep it up. The AR 10 lightweight is as easy to carry,more accurate and a lot more rugged IMHO.

Sooo...long story short...I am selling my M1A to a buddy in a couple of weeks.

And yes , it will break my heart!!

FWIW
Wes

Last edited by was21; 12/31/08. Reason: spellin'
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
BMT, what scope and mounts did you go with? I just purchased the same rifle and I am trying to decide how to scope it

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GreyHunter
BMT, what scope and mounts did you go with? I just purchased the same rifle and I am trying to decide how to scope it

Warne QDs.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You know, I have been considering the same thing. I currently have a CETME, and I'd heard the stories on how the gun trashes brass. I was a bit skeptical, and thought the claims were exagerrated. Man, was I wrong! Not only does it throw it half way across the rnage, but it beats the crap out of the stuff.

Personally, I think I will end up getting an AR10 style rifle simply because of the familiarity I have with the AR15 fmaily of guns. The M1A is certainly more nostalgic, but typically more expensive in just about every regard.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

This nis mine:

[Linked Image]

I use it as shown.

Nothing fancy.

Just a hard hitter.

BMT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of those 2 I'd take the AR-10, kinda heavy for carry though. I like my BAR in 308.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if its a paper puncher, it does not make much difference which one you choose.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an older Socom 16 that is a hoot to shoot. Very reliable and spits brass like crazy. I put a Springfield Armory 6x scope on it to see how it will group. Around 4" at 100 yards; about like my Mini 30. I also have a DPMS in .260 Rem that is 4 times better accurate than the M1A and it spits brass like crazy. The M1A is easier to carry when hunting and all it takes is one shot to bring a whitetail down. I haven't killed anything with the .260 yet.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by slm9s
I'm looking to make a move, selling my CETME and picking up a semi-auto 308 that doesn't trash the brass since I'm starting to reload 308. My CETME actually works well and is pretty accurate and very fun, but I would think the brass is non-reloadable. I know the PTR91/HK would be the same and I've been told the FAL would be in the same boat.

Right now it seems a SA M1A is $1500 at the cheapest. I might be able to save a few hundred on an AR10. I would be scoping either one and using it mostly at the range for fun 100-200 yards, rarely longer ranges/or varmints.

Anybody own both and care to share their opinion?

Other option is a 308 Saiga. I have a SAR1 ak47 type and its very fun and reliable. Not super accurate though. Looks like these are just over $500 non-converted.

Anyone know what gun is easiest on brass for reloading?

Thanks in advance.

If you're not familiar with a fellow who calls himself "Boston T. Party," google Paladin Press for his list of books. He writes a book, his "Big Green Gun Bible" where he's collected and written all kinds of info about the MBR's you're interested. He's done a very careful and extremely detailed comparison of each rifle.

Boston particularly likes the M1A and FAL, but he has great things to say about the AR10 and H&K version of the CETME.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Springfield Armory M1A Match rifle. I am building a .260 on the large AR frame as we speak. I wouldn't get rid of my M1A, ever, as it is a classic and will disappear before the large AR's will. The AR's will be easier to keep running and easier to get running well in the first place. They are easier to customize and make just the way you want it. They will be easier on brass, too. The M1A's are not as bad as your CETME, but it still dings them a little. The AR's will take a whole raft of calibers with little trouble besides pushing out a couple of pins and changing it out. That means your AR could be anything from a 22-250 to a .358 Win with nothing but a barrel change.

If I could only have one, my heart says M1A, my head says AR.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two M1A's, and early Springfield Match circa mid 80's, and an LRB M-14 which I purchased last year. I like both very much. The Super Match is MOA with match ammo and the LRB is almost MOA, but not quite (more like 1 1/2), with the same. It sports a Criterion chrome lined barrel which I requested, because IMO unless a MBR is destined for match use, the advantages of chrome lining outweigh the slight deterioration in accuracy it can sometimes cause.

If it were a choice between an LRB M14 (M1A), a CETME, an FAL or one of the new AR-10 variants, I would go with the LRB. The FAL would be my second choice. I have an Imbel Argentine FAL, and it is also a nice weapon. Not as accurate as my M1A/M14, but 2-3 MOA isn't bad for a straight combat weapon. Both are combat proven designs which have shown their strengths and weaknesses over the years.

I would love to have an AR-10, simply because I think it has superior ergonomics and accuracy POTENTIAL campared to the other two, but none of the makers offer a chrome lined barrel/chamber, which as I stated before is important to me. The other problem I have is magazine availablity. The early Bushmaster version used FAL mags, which were cheap and available, whereas the other types used modified M1A mags. I don't know what the new versions are using, but unless it's a straight M14 mag or a FAL mag, it's probably expensive and proprietary.

Just my opinions. I would love for someone to change them, as I need an excuse to get a new rifle.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DPMS 308 mags are $20.

BMT

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Upon what type of mag is the DPMS mag based? The FAL or the M14? Or is it proprietary?

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,938
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.