Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
You're going to look very ridiculous, and feel worse, traipsing through the woods with all that detritus and no food, especially the three firearms and a bow. And forget the ka-bar unless you want to make a low budget movie.

I would not worry about grizzly bears coming over the border from Wyoming. You're in more danger from getting hit by a meteor from outer space.

By the way, what's an SAS book?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

I�ve also found that those who talk about grabbing a gun and a backpack with the SHTF, haven�t really thought things through.

Amen.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jeepers
Hi, I'm only looking to guns for self-defense in a SHTF scenario. Would a 20 gauge be just as good as a 12 gauge for self-defense? I'm considering the 20 gauge because of the weight-factor carrying it on my back for miles and miles along with 70-80 lbs worth of gear on my person or in my pack. Thanks.

Hmmm...good answers here for the most part. A real breakdown of society??? Probably not real likely but anything is certainly possible. The next to last thing I'd want to do is leave my home. If I had to do that, I'd want to load up my pickup with a good supply of fresh water & as much fishing/hunting/camping gear/fuel/supplies/tools...(toilet paper).. grin etc. that it could carry. Along with my travel trailer if possible. I'd try to let my hunting buddies know I was taking off & probably conspire with them on the best place to go & if it was that bad, band together & head out. I doubt I'd ever grab a pack & a gun & take off though. If it got that bad I'd probably end up dying, defending my home...12 ga. #4 buckshot for close in (It'll kill any bear or human I've ever seen)& an accurate centerfire for anything past the shotguns range. Prolly my .257 bee with the almighty 100 gr. TSX... grin

M
M
Die defending home and familly. A note on GPS,post SHTF will it be dead weight ? Do you think ole big bro will allow acess? I wonder if people who geocashe Have thought about that.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by atkinson
I have to disagree with some on this subject..For bear protection I wouldn;t even consider a slug..I would definately opt for a 10 or 12 ga. preferably 3.5" or 3." chambers respectively, loaded with number 1 or double 0 buck...successive hits of buckshot are more than a living body can react to thus the reason buckshot is so deadly up close and personal...I have seen a Leopard take slugs and just keep coming, that leads me to believe a bear could do the same, but buckshot always puts them under. Also I have shot several deer with slugs and was not impressed with their performance.

There is no way in heck that that buckshot would kill quicker than a slug......no way!
I cant imagine anyone shooting a deer with a slug and saying they were not impressed with the results.
I have a ton of experience with slugs and I will tell you there is not much in the way of game that a slug wont take down.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tom264
I have to disagree with some on this subject..For bear protection I wouldn;t even consider a slug..I would definately opt for a 10 or 12 ga. preferably 3.5" or 3." chambers respectively, loaded with number 1 or double 0 buck...successive hits of buckshot are more than a living body can react to thus the reason buckshot is so deadly up close and personal...I have seen a Leopard take slugs and just keep coming, that leads me to believe a bear could do the same, but buckshot always puts them under. Also I have shot several deer with slugs and was not impressed with their performance.

There is no way in heck that that buckshot would kill quicker than a slug......no way!
I cant imagine anyone shooting a deer with a slug and saying they were not impressed with the results.
I have a ton of experience with slugs and I will tell you there is not much in the way of game that a slug wont take down.

Even within 40 yds. with a full choke? I'm not sayin or even suggesting a slug wouldn't work...In fact it might be the best choice for the first round, but if I had a MAD bear/leopard/human heading towards me with bad intentions I'd prefer buckshot ANY day. More room for error.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
even 000 buck is pretty weak medicine without multiple hits... a heavy leather coat can pretty well stop 4 buck past 50 yards... penetration may occur, but what little energy it carries is pretty well depleted...

i hear of many guys claiming great success on coyotes with 4 buck... hunt with them and they have a list of excuses, in my experience...
a very good friend had an 870 wingmaster with some super choke or other... claimed it shot like a rifle... after he emptied his gun at a coyote without any evidence of a hit i went to the machine shed and got out an old paint bucket... at 40 yds with one shot fired the bucket suffered one grazing hit from a 3" plated, buffered load of 4 buck.....

if i were shooting buckshot for defensive use i'd severely restrict my range, use 000 buck, and pattern the load/gun combo... my max range would be limited to where i could regularly place 4-5 holes on a paper plate sized target.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Tom264

Even within 40 yds. with a full choke? I'm not sayin or even suggesting a slug wouldn't work...In fact it might be the best choice for the first round, but if I had a MAD bear/leopard/human heading towards me with bad intentions I'd prefer buckshot ANY day. More room for error.

And thats why I like my semiauto slug guns, you can crack 5 shots off quicker than anybody can imagine......just listen to them during deer season once. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by johnw

if i were shooting buckshot for defensive use i'd severely restrict my range, use 000 buck, and pattern the load/gun combo... my max range would be limited to where i could regularly place 4-5 holes on a paper plate sized target.....

No arguement here... smile #4 bucksot will generally give me at least 3 hits at 40 with a modified choke...with regular steel #4 birdshot it actually patterns tighter than my full choke. I've never tried 000...always figured more was better, could be wrong though...wouldn't be the first time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jeepers
I've decided on a .45 Kimber ultra carry II for shtf for traveling in city, Benelli m1, m2 7+1 etc for home at the door defense, and ak 47 762 for all else. I have 600 ft 550 paracord (3 lbs), blastmaster firesteel (1 lbs), katadyn water filter + replacement (2 lbs), ka-bar cutlass knife (4 lbs), sog s66 multitool (2 lbs), marmot thor tent (8 lbs), thermarest prolite 4 (2 lbs), [-20 sleeping bag yet to be purchased] (4 lbs), lint (l lbs), zipties (l lbs), G7000 mysteryranch pack (8 lbs), SAS book (1 lbs), medical supplies/pills (4 lbs), woolen clothes (8 lbs), cooking pan or pot (5 lbs), compass or gps (4 lbs).

That's pushing 60 lbs including the pack. Those three firearms +ammo will add 25 or so pounds. Add the bow and arrows and I'm gonna be weighed down. I Could string along a dog equipped with a dogpack or a wife to lessen the load.

In Colorado, we only have black bears, but they Could migrate from Wyoming. It's possible.

Jeepers:

It would be real easy to make fun of all this, but I'm going to restrain myself.

You're not being anywhere near rational, friend. You've got some idea that S will HTF all at once and in the uproar of the moment, all the roads will be blocked with panicky city-folk and you'll just throw all that crap on your back and hike into hills to live off the land.

It doesn't work like that. S doesn't HTF all at once. (Unless it's thermonuclear war, and if it's that, you might as well just shoot yourself in the head.) Whatever breakdown you think may happen in society would happen over months, if not years. Plenty of time to drive to where you want to go.

You want to prepare now for SHTF? Buy a couple of acres in the mountains. Park a trailer or build a small cabin on it. Put in a well. Clear some of it in preparation for planting vegetables. Buy a subscription to Mother Earth News.

And as a back-up plan, marry a Canadian woman.

You will be better off and better prepared.

- Tom

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

actually, if i'm shooting buckshot, it's only because i can't get my hands on decent slug loads...
count me as a fan of the brenneke classic 12 ga.
any time.. any where... any thing....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed several deer with the Winchester super-x 1 oz foster type slug load. Great for deer, but I gave the coup-de-gras to a small buck from about two feet away. The 12 gauge slug went in, shattered his vertebrea just below his head, and did not exit. Again small buck, total penetration maybe 6-7 inches including the back bone. Now I believe real world experience trumps all, and if you someone else has had a better experience with these type of soft slugs then have at it. But that experience nixed the slugs for me in bear country.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A slug at maximum speed hitting a large bone and stopping is not that bad. I have found a number of slugs under the hide on several moose shot on the local military bases during their special hunts. Clearly poachers are not getting the kinds of results they hope for.

In the case of bears at very close range having a slug would not bother me. Having a wildass idea that SHTF thinking like this is not funny, would bother me...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i would not elect to use a foster type slug for anything much tougher than a deer...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by johnw
i would not elect to use a foster type slug for anything much tougher than a deer...

Thankfully there is much better choices in shotgun slugs nowadays.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
No arguement here... smile #4 bucksot will generally give me at least 3 hits at 40 with a modified choke...with regular steel #4 birdshot it actually patterns tighter than my full choke. I've never tried 000...always figured more was better, could be wrong though...wouldn't be the first time.
3 hits with #4 buckshot will be much less than impressive. The size of the shot is .25 caliber. Pellet weight and velocity will be less than a .25 auto; so I think your performance will leave you rather underwhelmed.

Shotguns with buckshot start to drop off in the power/penetration department severely past 25-30 yards. Defensive shots past 25 yards, rarely result in a bad guy dropping. Inside of that range, stopping an aggressor is almost assured.

If you need to reach out past 25 yards, it's best to go wtih slugs. And if you're going to need to use slugs a lot, you're much better off having a rifle.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
To each his own, if I can't have a rifle then it will be double 0 buck for me for stopping dangerous up close, and I base that on stopping and seeing several animals stopped including Lion and Leopard..I have absolutly no use for slugs, but anyone that wants to use slugs is fine with me.

My good friend, the late George Hoffman of .416 fame and an old time African PH, who wrote the book A Country Boy In Africa, loved the shotgun full of 00 buck shot for stopping any animal short of Rhino and Elephant for up close confrontations, and he used that gun for over 40 years, stopped more than a few Leopard and Lions in charge situations. A male African Lion is a tougher animal than a bear IMO.

Bottom line with me is a a shot gun works best on birds.

Last edited by atkinson; 01/07/09.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree with Kevin and atkinson.

Shotguns, in trained hands are great tools.

However, I like shotguns for defense becuase range is limited.

Every shot has a grand jury following behind it.

Most of us cannot get away with 100 yard "Defensive" shots.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Could consolidate and use that 5lb. frying pan for bear defense as well.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, I'd have to vote against the frying pan. When I was a Paramedic, I treated a gentleman who had a spat with his significant other (in this case, another gentleman), and the significant other BROKE a 5lb cast iron frying pan over his head. He was instantly stopped, but when he got up, he was ready to scratch the others eyes out:)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 40 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,607
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.