Print Thread
Hop To
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bought a NIB M1894C in .45LC from a 'fire member and my son took it out to shoot this last Sunday; first shots down the tube.. Beautiful rifle - excellent wood etc..

Monday morning I was going to tumble the brass and reload. Then I saw the brass... WOW.. To say they had bulges would be an understatement.. Brass beyond the web was .012 over!!! Looked like mini-balloons..

If they test fire these before they leave the factory, the testor must have been Stevie Wonder...

It's on the way back to Marlin with 4 examples of the brass and a note that I expect a new barrel.. Geez... Oh well, I won't need it until summer anyway.. Gotta take some dammitall pills.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Marlin will back up the rifle 100%! Every manufacturer has their screw ups no matter where they're made.

I had a Marlin 1894 with a bad barrel and Marlin replaced it and did a lot of other work and I had it back less than 2 weeks later. Marlin repair: they're fast and good!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, I've heard they're ok.. However, I've had a customer's M336 at the factory since Oct 15th (their receipt) and when I called today, the lady couldn't find it.. They got a 'new system', she says...

Oh swell.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that! They must have changed because the old system worked too good????

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that! They must have changed because the old system worked too good????
LMAO.. Most likely - and I'm betting it's the bean counters that enacted this change..

She said she'll call me on Monday when she finds out who has the rifle.. I can hardly wait.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't Remington own Marlin now?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hear ya. I just got an 1894 .44, and boy was I disappointed. At first. The wood didn't match, the rear sling swivel was off-center, the rear sight is slightly crooked, and there is almost no crown. But instead of sending it back right away I shot it first.

Wow, I'm not doing a darn thing to it, I'll just be extra careful with the muzzle. First five shots, handload 275 grain Cast Performance over 20 grains H110 shot into about 2 inches. About the same size group with 270 grain Gold Dots over 21 grains of H110 and same point of impact. So-so. Then just for reference I shot five rounds of factory Federal American Eagle 240 grain jacketed hollowpoints. 4 rounds into one ragged hole and one called flyer an inch higher. These were all at 50 yards with the crappy factory sights. I'm ordering a set of XS sights to slap on and will now start on some handloads.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redneck, when Marlin first introduced the Cowboy version of the M1894 in .357 MAG (about 9 years ago +/-) I bought one. On the first round I fed from the magazine the lifter locked up the action in the open position. It seems they had a bad run of lifters; timing was wrong, causing the second round to jump out of the mag and into the open action. I had to take the mag tube off to empty it and clear the jam. My dealer sent the rifle back to Marlin - he called me exactly 3 weeks later to tell me the rifle was back. It performed flawlessly after being returned. I don't know about now, but Marlin was first class then. I hope you have the same luck. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well yesterday as promised a rep from Marlin called, apologized for the delay citing holidays and a new system but assured me the rifle would be on it's way back to me before the weekend.. I assured her I wasn't upset, just wanted to know the status..

It was very good of them to call on the day they said they would.. So far, I'm impressed.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
In the last few years, it does seem like Marlin's quality control has been lacking a little. That doesn't mean they won't fix one promply, but I have seen quite a variation in quality from rifle to rifle, to the point, that I would not just order one, I would have to see it first before buying it.

IC B3

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, some good news... The customer's M336 arrived yesterday with a brand-new barrel on it just a very few days after their call..

Now, I'm just waiting for my M1894 to get done... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.