-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear Sako's safety is it's weakness. Enlighten me?

Taking my rifle for a walk
HR IC

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 340Wby
I guess when people say that they mean that the Sako safety doesn't block the firing pin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I guess when people say that they mean that the Sako safety doesn't block the firing pin.

It does in the rear position, so what's the problem?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Me? M70. because I'm prejudiced.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
M70: And it has nothing to do with being prejudiced. wink

Last edited by battue; 01/10/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I love the M70. It's the perfect hunting rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Loves a strong word, but real close to perfect. However could stand to slim down a little.

Last edited by battue; 01/10/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WinModel70
I love the M70. It's the perfect hunting rifle.

I agree but you need to cross a Pre-64 with a CRF-Classic & then you will have something very special & near perfect!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Does it? I didn't know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Does it? I didn't know.

Yes

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If you were talking pre 64 it would be a tough call but compared to new m70's I'd be grabbing the sako for sure.Right now my rifles are half pre 64 70's and half sakos...if a model 70 lover like Redneck picks sako, thats saying something!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Red neck.
have you handeld a new model 70 yet ? I have a pre 64 and 2 classics.
I had no complaints about the trigger, except that after i learned to tune them myself, i was a bit pissed I had paid someone else to do it in the past.
But My impession of the new trigger from having dry fired mabye 5 of them is quite good.
And these were out of the box, I think they are adjustable.
Not a thing wrong with a sako 85 either.
I have seen a couple with real nice looking wood. and the ballance is terific.
But all the new model 70s I have seen have been featherweights in either 30,06 or .270.
I want to handle a short action. a .308 in either the fetherweight or the new coyote light.
...tj3006

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whilst talking about the "improved trigger"/X-trigger confused . I've said it once & I'll say it again. Winchester stuffed up big time here. If Winchester were really serious about a new revamped Model 70, they would of kept the original trigger design! And if I had my way. I would of pushed for a one-piece bolt(pre-64 design & shape) & ALL STEEL bottom-metal. So what we would have would be a Classic design action, Pre-64 bolt & barrel(cut-rifled) with the original & PROVEN trigger.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Whilst talking about the "improved trigger"/X-trigger . I've said it once & I'll say it again. Winchester stuffed up big time here. If Winchester were really serious about a new revamped Model 70, they would of kept the original trigger design! And if I had my way. I would of pushed for a one-piece bolt(pre-64 design & shape) & ALL STEEL bottom-metal. So what we would have would be a Classic design action, Pre-64 bolt & barrel(cut-rifled) with the original & PROVEN trigger

If they had kept everything the same except the post 64 Quality I would go down to my local dealer and buy one, but no they change one of the 70's strongpoints. Those beancounters did it so 2 gun designs can share the same trigger.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 01/10/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If they had kept everything the same except the post 64 Quality I would go down to my local dealer and buy one, but no they change one of the 70's strongpoints. Those beancounters did it so 2 gun designs can share the same trigger.

Me too. Beancounters ha ha ha I like that. How true wink

Winchester had two great designs to work with, Pre-64 & CRF Classic. So if these beancounters would of put logic forth they could of come up with a truly great design. Or at least just duplicate the CRF Classic if cost$ was a major factor. But no, they took one of best features & tossed it into the scrap bin.

Is there a chance of an aftermarket trigger to be available or has the action been modded around the X-trigger?

H
hotsoup Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have read that the trigger from a classic will not fit (work) in the sc version. don't know, just read it. sad in a way cause win needed something to catch the rest of the field in sales. who knows - the sc win may indeed sell well. i do believe the sc versions will be a winner based upon those i have handled and the few smiths i have spoke with who have handled, disassembled, and shot the sc version. i think the trigger issue only affects folks who are hard core win fans. time will tell (it always does).

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tj3006
Red neck.
have you handeld a new model 70 yet ?
Yep. A couple, in fact.
I have a pre 64 and 2 classics.
Then you have three excellent rifles..
I had no complaints about the trigger, except that after i learned to tune them myself, i was a bit pissed I had paid someone else to do it in the past.
They can be 'adjusted' by the owner.. But a true tigger job needs to be done by a pro - and you WILL notice the difference..
But My impession of the new trigger from having dry fired mabye 5 of them is quite good.
And these were out of the box, I think they are adjustable.
They feel ok. On average, probably a lot better than the pre-FNs and they are adjustable.. However, it's a closed, sealed unit. When (not if) something goes wrong, it's a trip back to the service center for repair/replacement.. According to the article, there's 12 parts to this new trigger, whereas the original has 7 (trigger, pin, spring, 3 nuts, post) and is open for cleaning, lubrication, inspection, etc... What happens to this new and improved closed unit when you're hunting in dusty, dirty conditions and grit gets in that trigger group? What happens when your hunt starts out in cold rain and it turns to freezing rain and it gets in that trigger? You're DONE.. With the old unit, the owner can disassemble the parts, clean and lube and reinstall in minutes..

Leave it to Browning to turn a simple, outstanding unit into a much more complicated, user-unfriendly item that, when it goes south, will require a factory fix.. This whole thing might have been suggested by lawyers and bean counters; surely not by hunters and shooters..
Not a thing wrong with a sako 85 either.
I have seen a couple with real nice looking wood. and the ballance is terific.
But all the new model 70s I have seen have been featherweights in either 30,06 or .270.
I want to handle a short action. a .308 in either the fetherweight or the new coyote light.
...tj3006
JMHO, but the changes should have been dedicated to quality barrels instead of messing with the trigger. To date, in the local store anyway, sales of the 'new' M70 have not occured and this is a place that sells hundreds of guns/month.. Those of us most familiar with the m70 concept are not fooled by the invention of this new trigger.. But it's very early in the production and sales.. Time will tell if the rifle becomes accepted.. It will also tell if this new trigger will actually stand up to rugged hunting conditions.. As far as that goes, I'm holding my breath..

I'm hoping an aftermarket will develop for fitting a different trigger to the new FN M70 that will allow the owner to get back to a more simple, user friendly design..

Added: Did you happen to read the article in Amer. Rifleman on the new M70? Didja happen to note the average groups they were getting? Over 2.25"!!! Maybe they just got a lemon.. But if I were the dudes making these at FN I would have been horrified at those results.. You think, after reading that article by all the members of the NRA, that hunters are going to run out and buy a rifle that may (operative word there) give them THAT kind of accuracy?? That's fine if you're hunting buffalo at 50 yards but if you're having to take a shot at a deer at 300 with a crummy barrel evidenced on that test rifle, well, good luck.. Most guys I know who have a rifle that shoots anything wider than a 1" group at 100 yards either limit their shots to 100 yards or less, trade the rifle for something better or rebarrel in order to have a bullet go where it's supposed to..

Last edited by Redneck; 01/11/09. Reason: added info.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting times ahead for Winchester & their new owners confused . And as RN stated, the big test will be how well the new trigger holds up in dust, dirt & the wet over time???
I will most likely give one a go but I would of been allot happier with an unchanged NH style M70 only with better quality control.

Last edited by 340Wby; 01/11/09.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a number of Model 70's including some pretty decent custom rifles. I also have several Sako's. I tend to Hunt with the Sako's quite a bit more, especially the Finnlites.

Out of the Box I think that the Sako's are much better rifles than the typical Model 70. The just work without doing anything to them. They are smooth, accurate and rarely have any problems.

Model 70's have been made into the finest hunting works of art ever known but out of the box they can require a good bit of work to get them as accurate and smooth as a new Sako.

I'd recommend that you go with the Sako. If you really want a model 70 you'll know why you do...................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How are you liking the silver and grey 85 DJ? It was another .270WSM isn't it?

They have an 85 Finnlight in .25-06 at the local shop. If I had extra rifle money it would be coming home. Great rifles.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.