Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
mark, that is awfully nice of you.
But let me see how the BT interlocks do.
As far as the 165 grain hot core, I did try them in my Kimber but the results were none to promising.
I, found a big bag of 165 grain corlocks so I have 15 each of the corlocks and the BT hornady loaded up to try one day this week.
The one good thing about my back injury is that I prety much have the range to myself if I go on week days.
That 100gr flat base hornady shoots well out of my .257 weatherby, and the hornady manual shows them good to go for speeds up to 3600.
My ruger bob does'nt like them My custom bob ,does but I have not taken that rifle after game.

Gonna take my .257 AI along too just for kicks.
By the way, one reason I like tsxs for deer in my little roberts (thats the Ruger RL)is cause I can get 3100 FPS and about .3/4 MOA. The best I have done with any cup and core bullet from that rifles is about 2800 before my accuracy starts to fade.
...tj3006

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Kimber7man,

I have shot 2 antelope, 2 hogs and one deer with the .257 Rbts and the 100 gr. Hornady SP with great results. I have not shot my load through the chrono yet, but it should be in the 3000 fps range by the manual. I have not recovered a bullet yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
It's called "The Gold Standard" my friend laugh

That works 4 me as well, and all I know is that game tends to take what I call the ol "Nozler Nap" real quick... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Dad killed a train car load of deer withe the 139gr Hornady.Got bored so built a 257AI and started shooting the 117gr Hornany...same results except the second go round he was so up in years that he only got a truck load killed.As fine a hunting bullet as can be found! powdr

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use the 154 FB's in my 280 Rem and they just plain work.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use Hornady bullets in all calibers. Flat base and BTs work equally well on deer. Friends have used both on elk with no issues except lack of freezer space.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I may be coming into this conversation late, but the 165gr BTSP Interlock has been my go to bullet in the 30-06. I have taken deer, elk, bear, pronghorn, coyotes and have never had an issue with bullet performance or had a need to look at anything else. If I could have only one bullet it would be the 165gr BTSP Interlock in front of 57gr of H4350....in fact that is all I load in my rifle now. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntr
And I remember the days of TSX awe!

Hmmm... I don't remember "awe." laugh

I figured I'd give them a thorough trial for several years... at first they seemed like the answer to all Projectile Prayers for truly BIG big game, but in the end they're just another mildly mitigated human invention, not really any better than the old standards, and in some instances obviously worse.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm late too. Hornady are my favorite bullet's. In my old 308 I used the 165gr flat base and BT. Saw no difference in either on game. Use the 180gr BT in my 30-06 but don't hunt much with it. My 6.5-06 and 6.5x55 love 129gr Hornadys And my 25-06 with 117gr BTSP is a death ray. But in the 25-06, I suspect the 100gr may be a better deer bullet. What I found with the 117gr is that the deer shot generally go a bit befor falling, maybe 20 to 30 yds. I think it might be a bit to tuff but then I also think I'm splitting an awful fine hair! The next bullet I used a lot was the 160gr hot core in a 7mm mag, wonderful bullet but haven't shot a speer in many years now. I see no need anywhere for any premium bullet, partitions included.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only used the 190 BTSP Interlock on big game from my 300 Win.It's a great bullet.But still a Winchester Power Point guy for cup and core.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogzapper
No problem with the Hornady BTs. I've killed over twenty-five head of African plains game animals with them; absolutely no core-jacket separations.

Steve

Dogzapper says it all that a very good bullet. I'm sure that's shock and aw to the premium bullet guys.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 01/11/09.

NRA Lifetime Member
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My friend's father has sworn by the 30 cal 165 gr SPBT for years. Taken caribou, elk (quite a few), black bear, whitetail and mule deer with authority. They're the only bullet he loads for his '06 BAR, his only rifle.

He personifies the "man with one rifle" saying for certain.

T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Man has this post ever done agood job of answering my question about terminal performance.
I only need to find out if they are acurate in my rifle.
I,ll let you know, and thanks for all the good info.
...tj3006

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Brad
It's called "The Gold Standard" my friend laugh

That works 4 me as well, and all I know is that game tends to take what I call the ol "Nozler Nap" real quick... grin

Dober

Yes Brad, that sums it up well. Funny how even today it seems that everytime a bullet is compared, the Partition seems to some up confused

Dober, the Nosler Nap? Not the Nosler Freezer Coma? laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 200-gn version is awesome in my .358, on deer.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have seen core/jacket separation on a mule deer buck years ago using a 6mm 100-gr boat-tail Hornady. Seeing as how I killed the deer, one wonders if it really was a big deal, but I decided to switch to the 95-gr Nosler Partiton in the .243 pea-shooter caliber just for insurance. I would have no issues using Hornady bullets in my larger calibers as they seem to work as advertised, just like the previous posts have stated.

"We deal in lead - friend"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
I've only used the 190 BTSP Interlock on big game from my 300 Win.It's a great bullet.But still a Winchester Power Point guy for cup and core.

I've used that same bullet in my .30-06 @ 2700 fps. Groups well.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Frisco_Pete
I have seen core/jacket separation on a mule deer buck years ago using a 6mm 100-gr boat-tail Hornady.

I've had similar experiences with that .243 100 gr. BTSP bullet at very close range. However, I've killed about 20 deer with the .308 and Hornady .30 165 BTSP without a single problem. It just plain works with no fuss and no muss. My father has used the same load on a similar number of deer with the same results.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trapperJ
I use the 154 FB's in my 280 Rem and they just plain work.

I'm thinking of laying up 500 or so of the 154 FB's for my 7mm saum as a budgetary move. Does anyone think 3,000 fps MV pushing it on these?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not in West Dakota laugh

Funny how we keep this same thread going all the time (bullet failures, cup-n-cores, etc) I don't think I've ever logged on and not seem some type of bullet failure thread.

Here's my thoughts on Hornadys on deer. Is it as tough a bullet as a Partition, or TSX, or Swift A-Frame, etc??? No... Are "Boutique Bullets" needed on deer?? Hell no!

I've had several core-jacket seperations over the years with Hornadys, Sierras, and early Ballistic Tips in Deer and Antelope. But IMO, they did what they were supposed too. Turn energy into a fatal wound channel in a smaller sized critter. I've also had smaller B tag does take a 180 grain Partition through both lungs and cover 80-100 yards before tipping over because they were a target of opportinity and all I had with me was my "Elk rifle and Elk Loads."

Now I don't golf... Golf Courses are perfectly good wastes of real-estate that should have been rifle ranges. But I know a guy that does. He don't putt with a 9 iron, or use his putter to drive. My point is, a more explosive bullet (Cup-N-Core) is great for dropping deer DRT, and tougher bullets (as JB says "Boutique") are better at hammering bigger critters in less than ideal conditions. Tougher bullets are better at getting "Where the critter lives (Vitals)." There really isn't a bullet that does BOTH. The only one close is the "Gold Standard" (Partition)

So yeah... When I hear stories about a Deer taking a Botique bullet to the vitals and getting in a 80 yard death sprint before it tips over because it "penciled through," I'm not suprised... Neither am I suprised when somebody gripes about an Interlock "coming all apart" in an Elk.

So in review... I'm changing my Tag Line laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.