Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the input I've received about scoping my pre-war Model 70 recently. I thought I had secured a good base and rings set-up and scope through some buying and trading on the classifieds, but have run into a snag.

To recap, my Pre-War Model 70 had the rear bridge drilled and tapped. It also has the Pre-War flag safety, so I have to keep that in mind for scoping purposes. I got a set of old Buehler base and rings for it, but it appears the rear screw holes were not drilled to a standard spacing so the Buehler back base won't quite line up.

Any other ideas for a set of bases that won't have this problem?

Will I need to go custom?

Thanks again for any input.

Clyde

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ClydeM70: Have you thought about changing out the firing pin and safety shroud system to the post-war type?
Would that change-out alleviate your problem?
What happened to the rear base that the rear bridge was drilled for?
What does the hole spacing line up with in the way of a post-war base?
I hate to see you drill MORE holes in that rear bridge that originally had NO holes in it, but that may be required if other options fail.
You are aware I assume that the pre-war actions used the factory drilled holes on the side of the rear receiver bridge for telescopic sight mounting.
I have shot Rifles with this set up and they held point of aim/impact pretty well.
Good luck.
I have about 8 or 10 firing pin/safety shroud assemblies lying around for post-war pre-64 Winchester Model 70's - so they are easy to find. I only have a couple pre-war safety shroud systems though.
One reason they are so easy to find is because the pre-64 Winchester Model 70's NEVER broke their firing pins. They were built hell for stout and they were built with the highest standards of processing and heat treatment.
Lets get this scope mounting situation solved somehow!
Best of luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Clyde: How about a set of Leupold Custom bases. I think they come "blank" so could be drilled to match up with existing holes....no?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I would recommend you look at a 2 piece base setup. They fit mine just fine. The rear base does have unique hole spacing.

I like cross slot Talleys, Warnes or Weavers but your mileage may vary. My pre-war came with Weaver pivot mounts its serial # is 13xxx so it is an early one.

I put conventional Weaver pre-war bases on it and those worked fine too.

The last go round I went with the Warne Premier setup with the built in peep sight. They had to make that up special at that time though they later catalogued it.

IIRC the two Buehlers I have around here both have only one hole for the rear bridge. I know a lot of Mauser's and 98's that get along that way.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Very easy. Get a one piece base for a pre 64 Model 70 from Redfield. It will fit and problem will be solved. Been there. Done that.
I have no idea why this is so complicated.
I've used Burris, leupold and Millet rings on them.
No issue.

T

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
It is Redfield Part Number JR-1 47146. Leupold still makes the one piece for the pre 64 and so does Burris.
Pre War's were drilled in the rear reciever ring to Pre 64 specs.
Buehler opted for two holes in the rear of the receiver so you are lacking that hole. They made their base longer.
Go figure.
The Redfield, Leupold and Burris will fit.
One screw in the rear. No problem.
Their bases were and are shorter than the Buehler.

T

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Thommon: Yes, unfortunately, there is an issue.
The issue stems from the fact that pre-war Winchester Model 70's had NO holes drilled in the tops of their rear action bridges!
None!
Its not complicated at all - no factory holes were put there!
Thus, in pre-war actions that HAVE a hole OR holes on the tops of the rear bridge of their actions - they were PUT THERE by persons often UNKNOWN.
And "where" they put them is the issue NOW for the original poster.
Some line up with the spacing in a post-war type pre-64 Winchester Model 70 base and SOME do not.
In fact MANY or most, do not, has been my experience.
In brief the Winchester factory did not start drilling the top of the rear bridge of the Model 70 actions until after serial number 60,500 or so!
Or until about 1948ish.
So indeed there are often "complications" in this regard - and NO, the Redfield one piece base for a "pre-64 Model 70 does not always (or even often!) solve this problem with pre-war Model 70's.
And just ONE of those complications is trying to drill through ONE HALF of a pre-existing hole someone has made in that rear bridge!
Believe me when I tell you that does not turn out well!
If you need book type picture references to my contentions just ask and I will provide.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VarmintGuy +1

I wound up using a Tally undrilled base for the rear scope mount on an early M 70. The gunsmith drilled to match the oddball holes in the bridge.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thank you, gentlemen. VarmintGuy explained the situation much better than I did.

I will consider the options, this is just what I needed. Much obliged to you all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
another option for the safety it to buy a Tilden safety to replace the original one... you can always swap thm back if you want to. Tilden safeties were put on alot of pre war model 70 just because they of the scope issue.... it also makes it work just like the post war version... you also doo not have to replace the shroud just the safety level itself...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Varmint Guy is right which is why I said use a Leupold custom base to line up the rear holes; the custom base comes without holes so they can be adapted to any hole spacing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 224th, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 58 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,396
Posts18,527,874
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.