Print Thread
Hop To
A
Aldeer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
My compound bow is set up with a weak lens mounted in the peep sight. This makes it easier for 50+ eyes to see the sight pins in focus.

It occurred to me that such a thing had probably been done with a rifle peep sight but I've been unable to find one. Anybody ever encountered one?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a comany that makes them for AR's. There are many different corrections available. The name escapes me.

Found it:
www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html

Last edited by kciH; 01/12/09.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

A
Aldeer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks. I knew somebody had to be doing this.
Anybody know of something similar for lever actions?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I had a Bob Jones sight for an AR15 match rifle. Believe it or not, it's legal in the "service rifle" category. Bob would let you try various ones, and return the ones that you didn't want.

It worked as as advertised. The only problem was that you couldn't see through it if a rain drop got in it, or blow the drop out.

But...the purpose is NOT to magnify an image. The purpose is to let old far-sighted eyes focus on the front sight (not on the target). This is fine when the target is a black circle on a white background but perhaps not on game. I don't think you want one in a lever action rifle for hunting.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Aldeer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
The one I have on my compound is very weak (the weakest they made). It's just enough to give focus on the sight pins. While this has to be blurring the target some, it's not enough for me to notice. No problem so far in hunting situations. I don't see that it would be any different on a lever action if it's a weak lens.

I do see where it could be a problem for those that need a stronger magnification to bring the front sight into focus.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We had bob jones things, gave them away, the lense idea was good, but the quality of the metal work, threads for sight adjustment, non centered changeable apertures etc.... SUCKED.

We simply use a normal extended AR hood, have an optician grind a lense that small of the correct RX(jones must have used even the corners of lense blanks to get teh most bang for the buck as his lenses had aberations and even minor bubbles in them at times) and then put correct size o ring in place, slip lense in place and then another o ring to hold it. Cheap and works fine.

I had to stay with KNoblochs after realizing it was a bitch to center the astigmatism lense correctly that tiny.

Did wonders for the visibility of the front sight clearly and the contrast to the target, though lense tint and aperture size often did more for the target contrast I was searching for. Got to the point of having 4 lense colors and 3 ap sizes for any given day.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The traditional solution has been to go to a red dot sight. Puts everything on one plane. Many a fine, but older pistol shot could get back in the game with a red dot sight when his eyes could no longer clearly see the sights of his pistol.
I've noted that Leupold make such a sight that has an illuminated reticle run by batteries. When you turn it off, you still have a reticle.
I've also noted that there are illuminated reticle scopes out there now that don't use batteries. Don't know of anything like that in a simple,non magnifiying sight, but I'll bet one is either around or will be shortly. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.