Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Jim,

Your Pre-War is a beauty! Mine isn't THAT sweet, but I like it very much.

Edit- Went back to look again and realized it was the Real Hawkeye's Pre-War posted. Oops. Look forward to seeing yours.

I need to take some updated ones of mine since I replaced the post-war shroud and safety with the pre-war unit.

Last edited by ClydeM70; 01/13/09.
GB1

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Nice rifle.

I've been looking for one similar to that. A hunting rifle need not be perfect. Everything I have found has been way out there in price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My transition model 270 built in 1948 ,I believe, has a Leupold straight 6x in a one piece mount. I has the original factory peep and it fits perfectly unter the Leupold. I don't remember when they started to tap the second hole in the bridge as they were originally set for one piece mounts thet use only one rear screw and this allows the apeture sight arm to fit low over the bridge because the base is so short. I rather like the bridge type mounts myself and actually have a couple of Redfield Jr's that have a fold up peep attached to the rear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a 1957 M70 270 in 1986, and it has worn the same Leupold 6X since then. I can't imagine a better scope for those old rifles.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a 1949 .270 on top with Weaver bases and a Leupold 6X. It looks somewhat period correct, the bottom rifle is a 1950 30-06 with the original Bearcub scope with Stith mounts. It looks nice and era correct, but newer scopes allow more versatility when hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ClydeM70
Jim,

Your Pre-War is a beauty! Mine isn't THAT sweet, but I like it very much.

Edit- Went back to look again and realized it was the Real Hawkeye's Pre-War posted. Oops. Look forward to seeing yours.

I need to take some updated ones of mine since I replaced the post-war shroud and safety with the pre-war unit.
Thanks for the compliment on my prewar, even though you thought it was someone else's prewar. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
6x all the way. That is what I had on my M77 Ruger in .270 when I lived in Wyoming. Great combo. BTW sweet rifle.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
A
AZJR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
The recoil pad on the rifle is hard as concrete, seriously, like stone. It has to go.

The three scuffs near the comb on the right side of the buttstock are scrapped indentations from the case heads of .270 Winchester cartridges the prior owner kept in a slip-on cartridge holder. When he closed the too tight gun case the top lid squished the case head edges into the stock and then every bump & wiggle gouged into the pretty wood. Think of it!

I have a NIB Leupold M8 6X42MM, matte finish, that I would love to mount on the rifle but I'll need to check the fit with the large objective. I don't want the scope sticking way up in the air. The older, glossy, Burris Signature 6X I have has been a very reliable instrument and it has a rather long tube that would make mounting a breeze. That may be the one I go with for now. I'm looking forward to taking the old rifle out and shooting it this weekend.

For those interested, here are a few pics of my pre-war 1938 M70 '06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This was my Dad's. I had it redone years ago. There was hardly any finish left on the wood or metal. Still shoots great. Near as I can figure between he and I this rifle has accounted for around 80 deer. I have not used it for about 10 years other than to keep it sighted in. Heavy is being generous with the word.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 01/13/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
AZJR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
battue,

That is a very clean setup, I like it. You have a good-looking rifle with a history, can't beat that.

Jim

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since they are all gone and no one can get in trouble over it. My Uncle "borrowed" it one day and shot 7 with it in about 5minutes.

Then he borrowed it again one time, shot a buck and didn't have a drag. Stuck it in the deers belly and dragged it to camp with his belt. Dad was a little PO'd and told him to go buy his own. He did and it is a twin to this one. That particular rifle shot more antelope than you would believe.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Matte finish fit these sticks well. Mine has gloss and is a 2x7. I wish I had gone with a matte 3.5 X 12 like my .300 . You will love working with this cal as I do, I can tell by your excitement. Let us know how it groups.
Great gun and excellent wood.
Congrats,
RR

Last edited by RR_BlueDog; 01/13/09. Reason: sp

What are friends for if you cant use um.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by battue
This was my Dad's. Heavy is being generous with the word.

Boy that is the truth. Mine is the same way. A lightweight it is not. frown

[Linked Image]

BTW AZJR, very nice rifle. smile

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's mine, a 1958 Alaskan .338.
It's naked now but is usually dressed with a 2.5x8 Leupold.
[Linked Image]
I used it on this young spike bull as well as several others.
Wonderful rifle, indeed.
[Linked Image]
I needed to shorten the lop a bit and ended up replacing the rock hard "recoil" pad. Detachable sling swivel studs were also introduced to facilitate carry or having a clean rifle.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Battue: Nice rifle....love those old M70's!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by battue
This was my Dad's. Heavy is being generous with the word.

Boy that is the truth. Mine is the same way. A lightweight it is not. frown

[Linked Image]

BTW AZJR, very nice rifle. smile
That's a Super Grade, isn't it?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd put the 2.5 x 8 on it and never look back. Midway had them on sale for 330 bucks last week BTW. Had to pick up another one.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That's a Super Grade, isn't it?

It's actually a standard model in a Supergrade style stock. The old girl looked pretty tough before I restocked and refinished the metal as a result from being hunted with for many, many years.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hard to look any better than it does now.

Last edited by battue; 01/14/09.

A
AZJR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Fine rifles all!

I've pretty much decided to go with a 2 piece Leupold base and Leupold STD rings to mount a Leupold V-III M8 6X42MM. My push feed M70 has the same scope aboard and I like it and am comfortable with that sight picture. Thanks for all the input and I'll post back after the scope is mounted and a field day has been experienced with the Winchester.

Thanks to all,
Jim

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 31 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,328
Posts18,526,547
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.