-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't care less what brand one uses, but I find smaller is better with blades no longer than my index finger. I take my deer and elk down to front and back halves with a Buck "Trapper" pocket knife.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much any knife you can get sharp that stays sharp will work just fine. I like a smallish 2.5-4" fixed blade with a decent belly in it.

I have an older rubber handled Columbia River i really like as well as a buck vanguard.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
recently I have had good luck with the buck mini alpha hunter, $70.00 at Cabellas, before that I went thru 2 of the buck 110 folding knives, still have the last one, still use it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buck 112 Ranger for gutting and Case trapper for skinning.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Take a look at a Mora knife. Nice profile and inexpensive for a good swedish steel blade. It seems like survivalist, not the rambo ones, really like these.
I forgot to pack my buck vanguard and used my brothers spare Mora to gut two deer and I was impressed with the $17 knife.

H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A few things I've learned about knives: (1) camo is bad; if you get a camo knife, paint it orange. Deer better not see your knife, and camo gets lost. Been there, done that. (2)Folding knives have their advantages, but the disadvantages can outweigh them. Case in point: I was just in Wyoming last week for an elk hunt. My partner and I killed two. We cleaned one and I put my knife away. Went to clean the 2nd elk and guess what: it was frozen shut. They're also much harder to keep clean. Get a fixed blade unless you have a compelling need for a folder; (c) size matters, but not like the other thing: smaller is generally better.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have bought four knives from Ray Laconico, but I can't find his contact address darn it!.
Check on the Blade Forums "knife maker's for sale area" forum. Nice guy, great knives, darn good prices for a custom knife. A name to watch for in working knives.
Take a look at the small knives at:
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=21120260&selected=

My "baby Bowie" did half the work on field butchering a mule deer and is still quite sharp.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=20544119&selected=

Dino in Reno

Dino in Reno
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is the style I like to use.Has a 3" Blade and I have boned out Elk with it.[Linked Image]

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with a conventional knife over half a century ago. They worked ok. Today I prefer a knife like this.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the Gerber I mentioned. I should have opened it up for the picture, but I was distracted by the enormous animal at my feet! grin It has a blade with a dropped point and some "belly" to it, as someone put it. It also comes with a seperate gut hook thingie, but I don't use those. It's kind of heavy but sharpens easily, holds an edge decently, and took apart and skinned this elk for me... so those are pluses <grin>...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 01/16/09.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The ultiimate field dressing knife is the Eye (German manufacturer)Sodbuster (model) with a built in saw. This knife holds a superb edge and is the perfect size. Google Eye sodbuster knife.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tough to beat the old style folding Gerber Gator with the Gut Hook, non serrated model,

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
These have turned out to be my favorites.
Blackjack Trailguide
Marbles Loveless
Western.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Well just to update you all after taking a look @ what was available in the knife case I decided on a Buck Zipper with a blk rubber handle. It was sticker price marked $84.00. I thought it was priced a little too high but decided to get it any how. When I got it up to the register it rang up $69.00 so I think I got a pretty good knife for a fair deal. I've been told it's made from decent steel and that it holds a pretty good edge even after some heavy use. What is a gut hook used for?

Roach

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
On a small buck, a good 3-4" blade will rip up thru the rib cage to the windpipe, quite easily. You don't have to split thru the H bone in the field. I've used a Shrade Improved Muskrat Folding Skinner, many times. A sheet rock knife can work pretty good, but I prefer my little Buck. I believe they called it the Boner (3" blade). Haven't seen one in over 30 years. Best Clam knife ever made.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cold Steel medium tanto folder and a Knives of Alaska cub bear for skinning duties...and a Coleman Western (22 year old) for the quartering....just my .02

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is my favorite. It rides in the day pack not on the belt.

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Q: What is a gut hook used for?
A: To carefully open up the animal's membranes. After you've carefully cut through the skin/hide on the underside, you'll see the animal's internals. You need to carefully cut a hole in the membrane. Now you need to cut through the membrane from sternum to the rear of the animal. Insert a knife blade too far and you'll puncture parts of the animal that shouldn't be. That's what the gut hook is for. Once you have the membrane cut, you can insert the hook and pull it from sternum to rectum (or vice versa). It will cut the membrane with no chance of damaging the internals. The alternative is to use your knife to cut the membrane, but you need to work carefully if you do.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Timer LB-7
Buck Vanguard w/rubber handle, 692bk
Puma Hunters Pal
Grohman Skinner #100

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I generally carry a Case trapper for deer hunting. If I figure I might need to do some in the field skinning, I'll put a Buck skinner in my day pack. Now, elk hunting is a different story.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1234, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.