S
Get back to me in 20

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hawaii is incredibly expensive- not exactly an easy place to retire to. If you are wanting climate and economy, you might look at Belize. If I had to live on an island it would be Kodiak wink

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Belize is being looked at. Can drive there from here. Federales require several bribes on the trip thru Mex tho.
I won't do Hawaii.
We did talk briefly of SE AK. Too much rain.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Cedar Key, Florida

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Jed.....Costa Rica should be a possible consideration.

They're even offering jumket packets to potential land purchasers now. So, for listening to a few sales spiels, you could have a relatively inexpensive 4 days of fun at a beautiful paradie.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
4 days just gets me started. Other than that...

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd go to Greece, but that's because semi-3rd world hispanic cultures just don't do it for me...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
but that's because semi-3rd world hispanic cultures just don't do it for me

Can't disagree

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try this site for info:
http://www.escapeartist.com/
I've been to Costa Rica, Panama and other countries down south and they are nice. Cost of living in some of these countries is pretty good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try Aruba. Times ever get tough, you can just catch a couple of young blonds and sell 'em.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Costa Rica is hardly 3rd world and it's becoming a mecca for US folks entering retirement status, especially the military.

Belize, while beautiful for maybe a week or two, hardly even compares to CR.

Last edited by isaac; 01/17/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Close friends lived in Costa Rica for almost twenty years... it's still, as I said, "semi 3rd world" all wishing aside.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It's been 10 years or so since I was there but Belize was very nice and they had a homestead act. They'd give you 25 acres IIRC. I think you could also claim an island there but they were only a couple of acres each.

I know nothing about the gun laws or hunting but the fishing is great

Piper

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If your friends are still there, they have seen remarkable improvements in medical facilities, industrial growth and tourism increases in light of the influx of retirees and investors immigrating there.

I'm involved in assisting a wealthy friend/client of mine seeking to establish and build a retirement community there.
I'll yield to your expertise but it is my understanding Costa Rica is becoming one of this world's grand new possibilities.

I have no dog in a fight. Just throwing out what I know. Because of my friends connections, my wife and another real-estate group is going on a paid trip to CR paid by CR brokers to show them the real-estate/investment opportunities which exist there.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would have no problem living in Costa Rica. My medical Insurance is accepted there, cost of living is good, it is higher in costa Rica and Panama than the rest of central america, I would not call it third world, el salvador, etc. are third world but I guess third world is what ever you call it. I read once that there over 30,000 american/canadian folks retired there. THey do not live in "gringo compounds" like in some other countries. Thialand is also nice, but most central americam countries are merely a 3 hour flight from miami or new orleans.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isaac, I understand the "new" Costa Rica... at heart I'm just not a fan of Hispanic culture so that bears heavily on my POV. Costa Rica is still "just" emerging from 3rd-World status. My friends loved Costa Rica before it got "discovered"... they lived in the highlands with the perfect climate found there. They left in the late 90's.

I'm a fan of First-World, European culture... if money were no object I suppose I'd live half the year in a warm European climate and the rest here in Montana... I'm not so fiscally situated at present grin

Would add, the idea of "Island Living" is a very seductive one, but usually ends in disappointment from those I've known. Islands (obviously Costa Rica ain't one) are pretty limiting... my dad lived on Grand Bahama for the last six years of his career and even being able to leave every week didn't particularly like it... but then he doesn't like most climates below about 40* N Latitude laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Twenty years in the Navy kicking around the Pacific with a 2 year tour on Guam taught me that tropical islands are best viewed from a post card. They just aren't all they're cracked up to be.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Valid point. I was merely attempting to focus on investment oppurtunity. If CR is coming out of 3rd world status, as Brad suggests, then that might suggest the investment oppurtunities are still worthy at this uncture. Once it comes out of that status in light of it's promising growth, the return on your investment down the road could be rather profitable.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Belize, Brother Jed....BELIZE!! Birdy and I'll come down and visit ya. Talk about an incredible place to experience the avian world!

KEEP the cool place you are livin' in, though!

How are the critters doing?

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Isaac

Costa Rica has been "coming out" for about 25 years that I know of. That said, it's a pretty nice place and lots of English speaking natives.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,832
Posts18,517,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.