Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Soldiers do the job they volunteered to do, knowing the risks.

You are inferring that soldiers are not hero's regardless of their accomplishments in war because they volunteered to do it.

Thats another classic we can't afford to lose.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bxroads
A "hero" is someone that, without regard for personal safety, interjects him/herself into a situation for which they are not being paid or have not been trained... A professional is someone that does the job for which they're paid/trained in spite of the circumstances. The pilots of the USAir flight dealt with the chitty situation handed them with excellence. But they were just saving their own asses.

I had to quote that before you delete it. Can't afford to lose such a classic.

WTF?

You really don't know much, do you.

Funny, my old man's standard line about flying is, "laymen never understand, pilots don't think about the passengers per se... they think about themselves and take care of their own asses... if they do that well, everyone else's ass is taken care of too."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You really don't know much, do you.

I know one thing for sure, and its about you.........

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
On more than one occasion I've had an aircraft I was launching abort a take-off. The aircrew would call in an emergency for hot brakes, bring the aircraft to a stop. They'd shut down engines and egress the aircraft rather quickly. The fire trucks arrive, take their position aprox 300 yards from the airplane. They've got the firesuits and safety gear on, but who has to go up to the aircraft to check the brakes? Me. Did that make me a hero? Nope, just doin MY job.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Too funny... airline/aviation professionals posting here (not me, just relating a VERY seasoned one's thoughts) with qualified P'sOV which run contrary to your uninformed notions and you can't even open a tiny crack in your thick skull to let a little light in... comical.

You're a product of too much TV...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AJ, thats apples and oranges. stretching it a tad bit thin arent you. Hot brakes? our whales come in with hot brakes all the time. we have had planes come in with primary hydraulics gone and the secondary are sluggish. no danger, we just hook up a tractor and pull them to the ramp. what are you getting at?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you ever seen what happens when an aircraft tire blows?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, we had one 747 that just about blew all his tires trying to stop cuz a lower deck door popped open. Its not nice. I've also seen pics on what happen when people use high pressure nozzles off a nitrogen bottle (instead of the low pressure). Also had a whale blow a tire on take-off, alot of sheet metal was gone when it landed up here.

We have hot brakes all the time, our A&P's dont think anything twice about it. bring out the brake coolers.

I'm not saying there isnt any danger in it, its just off topic of the type of work we have been discussing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
bring out the brake coolers.

Well, we DIDN'T have brake coolers. We did have to check the brakes, prayed that if the tires were going to blow they went BEFORE we walked up to them.

The moral of the story is that many people do dangerous jobs. Doesn't automatically classify them as hero's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're a product of too much TV...

That tells me a LOT about you, speaking on something you have no clue about. Thats been the rumor on you but I guess I had to find out for myself. Care to tell me what I had for dinner tonight?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny there bud... you get on this thread, make snide remarks then get offended when you get called on your BS. Grow up.

As for your dinner... I can predict, based on what I've seen, it was too much, whatever it might actually have been.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As for your dinner... I can predict, based on what I've seen, it was too much, whatever it might actually have been

Definitely too much for you. That'd be 195 lbs of pure southern red neck woop on your ass!

[Linked Image]

amx1047 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It just occurred to me that this is MY thread - why should I leave?

[Linked Image]

I'm so disgusted at the so-called "experts" posting here.

A lot of what I quoted here came from the pilot of the Sioux City crash, Al Haynes, himself. It wasn't an interview, but rather a speech he gave at NASA, Ames Research Center, Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, California.

Jockey(shorts) says "Never mind the fact that I have talked to Al Haynes in person and watched him speak several times....." but he has yet to quote Al Haynes as much as I have in this thread - or even once, for that matter.

And if pilots only think about themselves in a crash situation, why did Al Haynes say, "Whatever you do keep us away from the city" when he was trying to get his plane to the Sioux City airport? It still doesn't demonstrate that he wasn't trying to save his own behind, but it does indicate that he was very concerned for the population of Sioux City.

http://www.clear-prop.org/aviation/haynes.html It's a VERY LONG read, but I got through the pertinent parts. In a way, I'm glad I was pushed so far as to read this speech. I feel as though I'm well informed about the subject at hand now. I think some of you "experts" ought to read it too.

And I hope if any of you idgets ever do anything truly heroic, the news media ignores it smile Can't see that ever happening though, so y'all probably don't have anything to worry about.

And don't forget what Al Haynes said about some of his instructors, Jockeyshorts, since you were one, and oh yeah, you were a captain too, right? I've been throwing it in everybody's face for a while now:

"Sometimes the captain isn't as smart as we thought he was. And we would listen to him, and do what he said, and we wouldn't know what he's talking about."

I think you were one of those kind.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Come on blaine, all you get is an atta boy? I see in your signature you got 14 ribbons not to mention stars and clusters. If all you get is an atta boy, why have those? Why have awards like the medal of honor or bronze star, etc? the military is just doing there job. I dont buy it.

Yes this is what certain professions train for but how many times does it come into play?

Take the CG swimmers for example, they are trained to go into the water to save someone. What those guys do in the bering sea and other areas, maybe there job but it is above and beyond. I dont care how you look at it. Not natural to jump out of a helo in 50ft seas and swim just to help a stranger. true heros to me.

None of the ribbons I have are for anything heroic. The Medal of Honor is for actions above and beyond the call of duty, not for just doing your job--as diffficult and dangerous as it may be--well.

Perhaps those of us from the Military and professional pilot world have a higher standard for what we consider heroic. Lord knows our egos are big enough as they are without everyone considering us as heroic every time we handle an emergency......... grin

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad and Roads. Knock it off. Neither the two of you, NOR me, have any stones to throw when it comes to getting pissed off and being unreasonable here on the Campfire................

Last edited by Blaine; 01/18/09.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by bxroads
As for your dinner... I can predict, based on what I've seen, it was too much, whatever it might actually have been

Definitely too much for you. That'd be 195 lbs of pure southern red neck woop on your ass!

[Linked Image]

Ya sposed to have a big hat on ya head when ya post a snockered pic of yourself lookin' in the mirror.

It's an old established rule around here.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Also,..it occurs to me that ragrdless of the topic of a thread on here,..by the time it gets to page 8 it's turned into, "Oh yeah?!,..I'll whup your ass!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snockered = pants down, down south. Course I'm about snockered. Care for a pic?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of the ribbons I have are for anything heroic. The Medal of Honor is for actions above and beyond the call of duty, not for just doing your job--as diffficult and dangerous as it may be--well.

Blaine, thats my point exactly. if your just doing your job why be recognized? I got my own ribbon/medal bar in some box in this house. just doing your job and you get rewarded. whats the differance if a pilot saves 155 people and gets called a hero?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Also,..it occurs to me that ragrdless of the topic of a thread on here,..by the time it gets to page 8 it's turned into, "Oh yeah?!,..I'll whup your ass!"

Fatso is fighting words grin

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,133
Posts18,523,175
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.