Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by bxroads
Snockered = pants down, down south. Course I'm about snockered. Care for a pic?

Only if ya got a big hat on.

Tradition must be maintained.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You gonna hold your breath for this one too?????

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
None of the ribbons I have are for anything heroic. The Medal of Honor is for actions above and beyond the call of duty, not for just doing your job--as diffficult and dangerous as it may be--well.

Blaine, thats my point exactly. if your just doing your job why be recognized? I got my own ribbon/medal bar in some box in this house. just doing your job and you get rewarded. whats the differance if a pilot saves 155 people and gets called a hero?

Doing your job well does often does deserve some kind of recognition. But people today are too quick to call anything that's more than they can see themselves doing as heroic. It is really a sad reflection on how far standards have dropped in this country............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry blaine, I dont buy it. I got a navy achievement for designing a building (not my job) for the reserve unit up here. Thats ok according to the powers that be but a pilot saves a bunch of people is being downplayed for being a hero????

I dont understand it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I start pulling off clothes and it gets me to thinking (usually not very wisely). At thumpertalk (dirt bikes) there's a "Best looking babe on a bike" thread. At Team Talk (Mastercraft ski boats) there's a "swimsuit" thread. It just seems fitting that we start a "Buns and Guns" thread.

IC B2

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont understand it.

I don't expect you to, but just take a look at the attitudes of the professional aviators here. Our standards for heroism are high.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bxroads
I start pulling off clothes and it gets me to thinking (usually not very wisely). At thumpertalk (dirt bikes) there's a "Best looking babe on a bike" thread. At Team Talk (Mastercraft ski boats) there's a "swimsuit" thread. It just seems fitting that we start a "Buns and Guns" thread.

I guess I should go take off my shirt and get a camera too........... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's damn near midnight here and I've got a bird dog to go round up, not to mention the roll out of bed at 4:30 in the morning. I'll send Steely over here to keep Brad and Blaine in check while I'm gone.

amx1047 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blaine
...I don't expect you to, but just take a look at the attitudes of the professional aviators here. Our standards for heroism are high.
You know why I think it is? You "professional aviators" here know you could never achieve anything like Sullenberger or Haynes (certainly not Haynes because Bill somebody was actually flying that one) if faced with the same circumstances. Not even in your prime. You're jealous. And so you raise your "standards for heroism" so ridiculously high so you won't look so puny beside them. Pilots, firefighters, you name it. Your "standards for heroism" will always be high enough so that you don't look so puny beside them.

amx1047 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Blaine, did you ever receive a medal of honor?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaine dont downgrade me to make yourself feel better. I work with flight crews everyday and I am sick of ther primadonna attitudes. you just back it up.

I'm not saying they are not professional, cuz they are. We got some real good pilots.

Pilots are good but pussies at the same time. I hear all the time how they whine. The A&P's can bend over backwards for them they still find something to complain about.

Ive seen them purposely (sp?) time out so they dont have to fly. wish I had a job like that.

With guys like me around, the primadonnas wouldnt even get off the ground. maybe you should consider that before you start bashing the infedals.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by amx1047
Originally Posted by Blaine
...I don't expect you to, but just take a look at the attitudes of the professional aviators here. Our standards for heroism are high.
You know why I think it is? You "professional aviators" here know you could never achieve anything like Sullenberger or Haynes (certainly not Haynes because Bill somebody was actually flying that one) if faced with the same circumstances. Not even in your prime. You're jealous. And so you raise your "standards for heroism" so ridiculously high so you won't look so puny beside them. Pilots, firefighters, you name it. Your "standards for heroism" will always be high enough so that you don't look so puny beside them.

LOL!!!!! I shut down engines 17 times, was hit by ligtning twice, had a serious flight control malfunction, just to name a few. Further, I flew big and little military aircraft at low level, at supersonic speeds, upside down, deep into terrain, in formation; performed assault takeoff and landings, performed airdrops, and flew air combat maneuvers.

However, if you insist that your expert opinion is more valid than mine on what is a heroic feat of aviation and what isn't, then more power to you.

By your definition, I've been a hero for a looooooong time...........

I think I'll keep my own counsel as to what is heroic and what is just expected...............

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blaine dont downgrade me to make yourself feel better. I work with flight crews everyday and I am sick of ther primadonna attitudes. you just back it up.

I'm not saying they are not professional, cuz they are. We got some real good pilots.

Pilots are good but pussies at the same time. I hear all the time how they whine. The A&P's can bend over backwards for them they still find something to complain about.

Ive seen them purposely (sp?) time out so they dont have to fly. wish I had a job like that.

With guys like me around, the primadonnas wouldnt even get off the ground. maybe you should consider that before you start bashing the infedals.

You don't make any sense. All the pilots here have continually downplayed the heroic nature of driving airplanes, choosing instead to call handling emergencies a normal day's work.

And you think that is pompus? You have a hell of a chip on your shoulder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your right, I do have a chip, dealing with guys like you everyday.

Dont get me wrong we got some crews who dont treat us like hired help, and I will bend over backwards for them.

Its supposed to be a team effort. not "the pilot is god" kinda thing. Treating us like sub humans, which happens all the time, doesnt help. Christ you folks cant even carry your own bags up, atleast when you fly out of here.

Pilots do have a lot of responsibility on there shoulders, but at the same token, as was already pointed out here, they dont care about the passengers. its just there own tails.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe it's different in the civilian world, but in the USAF the maintainers and aircrew are part of the same team. When I was driving Herks, I'd routinely have a crew chief fly with me. I busted my tail to make sure the chief got what he needed.

One kid was so broke he couldn't afford any food on the road. But somehow, everytime we made a run for food, I always "accidently" ordered extra so he could eat without being embarassed.

When we unexpectly had to babysit the plane, I--the aircraft commander--took the first shift with the chief so the enlisted guys wouldn't be stuck watching the plane while the officers went to town.

I was the one who asked the maintenance guys how they wanted me to write up the malfucntins so they could more quickly fix the plane.

I was the one who made sure the line supervisor knew when one of his guys did a good job.

I carried my own bags, and often cariied the crew chiefs bags too becasue he was busy with the plane.

I was "norm' as far as a USAF pilot goes.

So I suggest you broaden your horizons before you open your mouth again and make assumptions about what you do not know.............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the differences here are based on perspective. Those of us that have jobs with serious consequences if we make even a small error may hold ourselves to higher standards and just expect everyone in our profession to do the same. Those that have jobs with little to no consequence for mistakes view life saving actions as above and beyond. Doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong, just a different perspective.

I for one don't want to fly with a pilot who doesn't think he could've made that same water landing.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
AMX... Why would I quote Al Haynes? All you did was look up interviews about him. I know more about that accident then you do. Did you know that there was a DC-10 instructor on the plane that was really no help to the crew? Why? Becuase when the Flight Attendant called him from the back of the airplane and told him what had happened he said it was impossible. Ive also had a beer on a layover with on of the Flight Attendants who survived the crash. She was more heroic then the USAir crew. All the USAir crew did was land a perfectly good flying airplane in the water. If you knew anything about aviation you would know that it isn't as amazing as the media says... I watched a guy with less then 150 hours gear up a plane because the landing gear wouldn't come down. He nailed it and I was the first person to the airplane when it stopped skidding down the runway. He wasn't even shaken up. What the USAir crew did was nothing amazing. They did a great job, but it was not what the media makes it.

As far as pilots only carrying about their own asses.. Well, thats mostly correct. If you know your gonna crash your obviously not gonna take out a bunch of inocent people on the ground, but otherwise, if I walk off the plane, the passengers walk off the plane. I take care of me, and the pax are taken care of.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hero Etymology:
The literal meaning of the word is "protector", "defender" or "guardian"[citation needed] and etymologically it is thought to be cognate with the name of the goddess Hera, the guardian of marriage; the postulated original forms of these words being *ἥρFως, hērwōs, and *ἭρFα, Hērwā, respectively. It is also thought to be a cognate of the Latin verb servo (original meaning: to preserve whole) and of the Avestan verb haurvaiti (to keep vigil over), although the original Proto-Indoeuropean root is unclear. According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the Indo-European root is ser meaning "to protect". According to Eric Partridge in Origins, the Greek word Hērōs "is akin to" the Latin seruāre, meaning to safeguard. Partridge concludes, "The basic sense of both Hera and hero would therefore be 'protector'."

Given Chesley Sullenberger protected 150+ people I'd consider him a hero.

BTW, living in Ft. Rucker's back yard I'm proud chopper pilots aren't as cocky as jet pilots. I've had the honor of meeting a bunch of them. One, Hondo64, now a Long Bow instructor and close friend, could tell story after story of surreal combat experiences, as could Colonel Billy Stevens "Head Hunter" (local gunsmith and benchrest champ too). And yes, that would be up close and personal live combat with anti aircraft fire glowing. That said, you have to pry it out them. Never would their signature look like a jet jockey's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I suggest you broaden your horizons before you open your mouth again and make assumptions about what you do not know.............

I like it how I have to broaden my horizons but yet you dont know how it works in the civilian world....lmao

typical arrogant pilot.

whatever man, as long as you can sleep at night.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Maybe it's different in the civilian world, but in the USAF the maintainers and aircrew are part of the same team. When I was driving Herks, I'd routinely have a crew chief fly with me. I busted my tail to make sure the chief got what he needed.

I never met a d!ckhead aircrew in the seven years I spent in the Airforce. The pilots were quick with a slap on the back accompanied with a "good job", I've gotten enough letters of accomidation to wallpaper a room. Pilots made sure my needs were met whether it was to make sure I got a meal to securing sleeping quarters because I had a broke bird to fix and didn't have the time to take care of it myself.

THANKS!!!!!!

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 12,352 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,023
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.