Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jim1_AB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Does anyone know if Shilen barrels are button rifled or cut. I have to recontour one of their barrels and a barrel maker up here mention it could re stress the barrel and screw it up if it is button rifled.

Any thoughts on the matter guys??

Jim

Just my opinion ......and I have so few.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Button.

J
Jim1_AB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks mathman

Jim

Last edited by Jim1_AB; 01/21/09.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're welcome. I gave a short answer because I'm not qualified to get into recontouring issues. IIRC that question causes a stink around here every now and then. smile

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Jim1_AB
I have to recontour one of their barrels and a barrel maker up here mention it could re stress the barrel and screw it up if it is button rifled.

Straight from Shilen's website:

"Turned, profiled, and contoured all mean the same thing. These terms all indicate that a barrel blank has been turned down on a lathe to a rifle barrel configuration or contour. We make most of our barrel from 1.250" diameter steel. Before the blank has been profiled, it is referred to as an "unturned" blank. Only gunsmiths who have tapering attachments for their lathes and prefer to turn their own contours use unturned blanks. If you are wanting to order a blank for your gunsmith to install and the gunsmith does not have the equipment to contour the barrel, then the turned blank is what you are looking for."

So, interpreting what they are saying, it would seem that they expect gunsmiths to recontour them.

And yes, they're button rifled.

IC B2

J
Jim1_AB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I talked to Shilen and if the barrel is taken down "slowly" than no issues. It's a 6.5 caliber so this helps. If it were a large caliber or I was building a ultra light barrel I could run into problems.

Thanks Guys

Jim

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Like all makers of cut rifled barrels, Ron views a button rifled barrel as a barrel barely restrained from warpage. The truth is, the barrels are properly stress relieved subsequent to rifling and prior to contouring. Ron's system of tapering is unlikely to induce any stress which only happens when cutting loads are very high and the tool dull. By the way, barrels which are not properly stress relieved will warp whether they are cut or buttoned. Some of the worst warping barrels I ever had the misfortune of dealing with were some cut rifled blanks which were plainly not relieved. I think you have nothing to worry about. GD

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
greydog the problem here is Jim was not the one talking to Ron It was the biggest darn mistake I have ever made.Ron knows the barrel is stress relieved he just said recontouring a button rifled barrel may I stress MAY have a problem these are my words not Ron's. I emailed Jim stressing MAYBE And asking him to call me so I could better explain what Ron had said I could have at that time told him to call Ron. I have PM'd others and no one I talked to will back the barrel if they recontour it. I also called Shilen and was told company policy,and was told Ron was very right to inform me of the risk how ever small. The rest of the crap here Jim and I will have to work out just hope there is no damage to Ron and my friend ship.

Thanks for your time Alan.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm sure Ron won't be offended at all. The internet is a great thing but often it seems like things balloon out of control.
Ron has contoured more barrels than most of us have seen and, as I said, he isn't going to have any trouble. His caveat to the contrary is just caution and what I would expect from any barrelmaker who is asked to work on someone else's barrel. To be honest, I don't know why he would even accept the work! Heaven knows, he isn't going to run out of barrels to make any time soon!
By the way, his barrels DON'T move when contouring and they are great examples of a well done cut rifled barrel. He takes great pride in his work; justifiably so. GD

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thanks, greydog. I tend to think Ron would take it all in stride but the balloon effect on the net is what worries me, especially if it is because of something I did not make clear when I passed the information on. I grew up with Ron's boys and Al was my best man at my wedding. I have had the pleasure of owning a RKS barrel. I would think if Ron was to take on this barrel contour job it would likely be because of my involvement. As you say, I'm sure Ron has more than enough work on his plate as it is.

Alan

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by Jim1_AB
I have to recontour one of their barrels and a barrel maker up here mention it could re stress the barrel and screw it up if it is button rifled.

Straight from Shilen's website:

"Turned, profiled, and contoured all mean the same thing. These terms all indicate that a barrel blank has been turned down on a lathe to a rifle barrel configuration or contour. We make most of our barrel from 1.250" diameter steel. Before the blank has been profiled, it is referred to as an "unturned" blank. Only gunsmiths who have tapering attachments for their lathes and prefer to turn their own contours use unturned blanks. If you are wanting to order a blank for your gunsmith to install and the gunsmith does not have the equipment to contour the barrel, then the turned blank is what you are looking for."

So, interpreting what they are saying, it would seem that they expect gunsmiths to recontour them.

And yes, they're button rifled.

I don't think Shilen expects gunsmiths to contour their own barrels as very few gunsmiths have tracer lathes. The point is that button rifled barrels are rifled as cylinders and THEN contoured. It doesn't matter the contour as long as you don't do anything stupid like deflecting the barrel too much by using too high a feed rate and a dull insert.

You will be fine.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,147
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.