24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 115 of 1,842 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 1841 1842
Oh ive been out shootin the gun, im not gonna lie its taken me quite abit to get used to it. I am hopen this summer to get some racoons with it and critters of that sort. I still love the gun smile

"The Boy"
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They are not easy to shoot if you're not used to them.

I can't shoot them worth a damn, but I have a great time tryin'.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah it seems to want to hit a little low with the .22 long rifles. have you tried any 22 mags yet?

Worse case we take a little off the front blade & re blue the top.

she's kinda tall anyways grin

looks like half a penny up there. grin

Next time we're together i hope you have it with you, i'd like to get a little more time behind that single six myself. See what kind of group i can get with it, then try a few of mine as well. see how they all compare.

I can maybe help you out too, give you a few shooting tips. If ya don't mind taking a little advice from an old Marine. smile

I shot expert with a hand gun every time I qualified with it.

Rifle too.....

In fact, one time after shooting a perfect score with M16-A2 I was invited to shoot match competitions with the Marine shooting team. I declined due to my new family life, new wife, baby...

none of those shooting skills have helped my deer hunting all that much tho have they? grin

We'll get you dialed in, you'll be one with the sigle six before you know it.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by captain_bangflop
Oh ive been out shootin the gun, im not gonna lie its taken me quite abit to get used to it. I am hopen this summer to get some racoons with it and critters of that sort. I still love the gun smile

They are tricky. In fact my mark II is hard to get used to everytime I shoot it but once you get used to it, it's like riding a bike. Listen to Uncle Dave on shooting tips (and then pass them on to me) grin and you'll do fine.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

That lake is HUGE!! Take half a day to drive from one end to the other HUGE!!!

Captain, Just don't do what I did, I wore all the riflin out of one of those 22 revolvers and a Marlin 39 rifle. Slick GONE almost,,,don't go shooting rats... LOL..... We used to have rats by the gojillion that came in the Big hogbarns in the winter and sleep/eat under the feeders.

Especially when it got real cold, would make an entire night each and every night for months with about 5 buddies shootin them, we shake the feeder and alittle come out maybe 12, bang,bang.. shake alittle more there go 7.. Birdshot 22's won't penetrate Lacross rubberBurly's but kill rats fine, ask me how I know..lol..

So who else has gone rat huntin? Starlings or Sparrows? My nephew got a sparrow with a dart gun on Christmas eve. Little rubber dart, kids toy...lol Anyone else crazy enough for that, thinkin maybe so with the crazy ice/water lake skippers here? I must be in the right spot.. wink

Keep at it Captain your fun is only beginning!!!! wink

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Your in the right spot wabo! Me and my redneck relatics used to "shine" sparrows in the pig barn at my uncles and eradicate 'em.

Kinda feel bad about the "catching and be-heading" thing now though.

Funny how when you get older your heart gets softer........

P.S. You ain't makin it across that lake in half a day. Sometimes it takes that long to get to a fishin spot. wink

Last edited by Rooster7; 01/20/09. Reason: lake info

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7

P.S. You ain't makin it across that lake in half a day. Sometimes it takes that long to get to a fishin spot. wink

that depends on the time of year, how much money you got or sometimes just how crazy you are.

ice covered or open water, both can be equally slow to travel on. some of the best time i've made across about 25 miles of that lake were in my old 1978 F-150 in the winter time with a GPS in one hand.

It was a crusted over 10" snow cover type of year & you could actually "plane off" with the truck if you kept the RPM's up & the speed up.

It was awesome, we had about 6 trucks like that heading out across the empty frozen tundra heading for knight island. Looked like a scene out of an old Mad Max movie.

It was to be the best day of fishing ever.

we didn't catch a single fish that day for about a dozen guys.

And to my comment on money, well if you've got yourself a $45,000 - $50,000 tournament boat with 250 hp or better... well then you're gonna get across that lake in a hurry.

I went out of warroad with a guy once & we hit knight, garden & stony & back to warroad all in the same day. That was a good 75 miles on water & most of the day was fishin, not traveling.

Well guys, I drove the old yellow snow bully in to work this morning, full tank of gas & I'm heading for the chickenbuck to plow the road after work today. There could be a snowmobile/cabin weekend in store for us.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wabo, I'd have to say that shooting the lands out of your rifling while killing rats is perfectly respectable.

Rifling well spent.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by wabo
Dave,

That lake is HUGE!! Take half a day to drive from one end to the other HUGE!!!

Ain't no way yer drivin across that lake in a half a day. That sucker is HUGE!!!

I never shot rats, but sure would if I had the chance. Sounds fun. Good way to way out a gun if you ask me. Only rat I ever saw get killed, my lab did it. She caught one of those suckers, grabbed it, and shook the living hell out of it. Little slimey rat pieces flying all over. Pretty cool for a boy to see. My sister...not so much.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oops! Sorry Wabo, looks like everybody else done told you already that LOW is a biggun. smile

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wabo, back in the 50's the town dump was about a 1/2 mile from my parents home. My buddies and I used to spend hours over there shooting rats. Really sharpens your shooting skills. I'd buy a brick of 22 shells at a time and brick wouldn't last to long. Ah the good old days.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shooting rats in the town dump.... boy does that bring back memories. I used to do that with the Captain's grandfather a long, long time ago.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey where is Stan? Anybody heard from him?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey good question. No, he hasn't been around for a week or so has he?

Hope he's OK. Off shootin' the 45-70 at stuff probably.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm here and reading.I just haven't had anything to add to the conversation.Linda and I have had teriffic colds the past week which left us feeling real punky.We have had a few problems lately with my 19 yr. old grand daughter and I am trying to cope with that.
Dave,I think that was a great gift you gave CBF for his birthday.
Thanks for thinking of me ,guys.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good to hear from you Stan. Sorry to hear about your Granddaughter and you and Linda's colds.

You don't really need to have anything to add to post on here...just read most of my stuff for proof. smile

Get better.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Stan,

Good to see your still keeping up, we NEED Stans input too.... Got off early from work as I walked into my door at home, same as everynight I thought of you when I saw my walking stick. Eachday on my way in and out my stick says Wabo Stan is walking why aren't you... Serious!!!

Anyone else keep score like this???, used to take bbguns,flashlights and tennisrackets and go on the starlin/sparrow hunt and actually get credit at school for ridding pest from the local grainery...lol

TZone,

Rats are SuperFun, they would run down the walls edge heading for the openings and get whopped with the maglight and pileup 1 by 1 on the ledge..lol Had one buddy who crawls up a 4foot wall from waste deep hog poo to shoot rats running around in the attic. He is 6'3 and 280lbs and peaks through the insulation ceiling out he comes falling into the poo, screaming,shooting 9 shots from the revolver with a Big Racoon coming down too.. Too Funny the look on his face when he hit the floor... Having trouble typin it, laughin so hard at the memories..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
it was striped gophers for me. I used to shoot them in the head with iron sights every time. Dont think i could do that nowadays. I remember bringing home a whole ice cream pail once. I was soooo proud of them. Mom for some reason wasnt. at all. I did take a picture of them all lined up and sent it to my grandpa who gave me the .22. He had it on his desk until the day he died. You would have thunk those rofers were prize bull elk with the look on my face.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That would be a stinky, itchy mess. crazy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Striped gophers used to be a spring ritual for me. Just when its warming up but the grass along the roads isn't growing yet. You can whistle them suckers out of their holes every time. .22 rifle and pistol were the primary weapons of choice. Even shot them with my bow and arrows tipped with judo points on many occasions. Wonder why I haven't done that for awhile?? I need to get back in the groove of having fun and quit being so caught up with everything that needs to "get done"

Maybe me and young bang flop will have to spend a warm saturday afternoon competing with the .22 pistols on the 'rofers'...

Page 115 of 1,842 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.