-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a good topic for tonight, sitting here sipping a Yuengling Porter and trying to stay away from all the political hoopla going on. I bought my first O'Connor book, The Rifle Book, 3rd Edition revised, when it came out in 1978 after he had died. My wife bought me my first high power rifle based on Jack's recommendation (in my family we were small game hunters, no one even owned a centerfire rifle) - still own that rifle today, a Ruger M77 in .270 WIN. I have since bought many of his books, and still enjoy reading them. A good author lives on if his books are timeless and Jack O'Connor's will be for the remainder of my lifetime.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
He was the reason I bought a 270 in 1975. Still have it too, although it's a remington 700 bdl. When I was a kid I used to read his articles in outdoor life at my Grandpa's. I have some of his books too.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Brad,

I have a copy of Hell I Was There that you are welcome to read.

My favorite part was about the bullies at Central School here in Helena. My Grandpa and my great uncle went to school with Elmer at Central.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JB-I did some guiding and hunting down below. One of the ranches we were at was called the La Cienega, over in the Sierra Madres.

And, I spendt some time on a mtn called Pico Johnson. Guided a desertsheep hunt there, it's off the sea of cortez. I was told that Jack hunted for borrego on the very same mtn. Cool place, it went from the sea up to 5K feet if I recall right.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The La Cienega ranch you guided on might have been the same ranch. The place called La Ciengega is a spring south of Pitiquito maybe 25 miles, but the ranch surrounding it is huge, and probably known by the same name.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer,

I will be in line for your book on rifles when it comes out. I just got your wingshooting/shotguns book and have thoroughly enjoyed it. My latest American Rifleman was in today's mail. I didn't see your byline, and will be disappointed if you are not in it.

I have a copy of "Horse and Buggy West," a gift from my father in the late 1970s. I have been offered $300 for it; it's not for sale! I passed up a chance to buy "Boomtown" at the Glendive MT gun show a few years ago but just didn't have the money the seller needed. I've been kicking myself ever since.

There is now a new printing of Brister's "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science." I have ordered my copy. I really didn't appreciate him when he wrote for Field and Stream, but have come to realize the quality of his writings in later years.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bob Brister's Shotgunning is one of my favorites for sure...read that so many times. How cool is it to have your wife driving around with a pattern board while you shoot at it/her. Old school.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think I realized that he died just two days before his birthday? I enjoy his books too. I made it a quest to get a copy of all the books he authored and finally did it! I even have "Conquest" and "Boomtown" his two non-hunting titles. Good reads all!

Bob257
7mm fan!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That means I'm getting old!

From reading an article or two every few months, to thinking about what he wrote when I'm hunting up near the Prophet River, to recollecting meeting him as a young kid - nothing but fond memories and enjoyment - he sure could tell a tale and turn a phrase.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I loved reading Jack. I am lucky to have all the Outdoor Life magazines he was in and several magazines of other makes with stories he sold them in the earlier years. One of my all time favorite articles was when he and the "Princess" went tiger hunting and she pretty much had the villagers spooked! I must add that John Barsness is a pretty damn good writer also and search him out.

IC B3

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Elmer & Silas Vs.the bullies at Central School..a Classic,and lesson in what happens to those who would mess with the boys from Missouri....Idabull

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did he get the nickname "Cactus Jack"?

From the local flora in Arizona or a prickly personality, perhaps? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I EK's books, but find it odd that he is always finding himself in life-threatening situations in "Hell, I was there!". Maybe things were that much different in the pre-WW2 wild west, but I'd have thought that anybody putting themselves in the line of fire like EK claims to have done was likely to actually get shot at and maybe hit a time or 2. Say what you will about EK, he didn't appear to have much use for the legal system and he seemed to attract more than his fair share of "bad" law men.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I work with a gentleman who as a young boy hunted with Jack. It is funny to hear him tell his stories. He never became much of a hunter or followed Jack's career or was even aware of the level of his following. To paraphase him, Jack wasn't always that much fun to be around.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 28 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.