Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jan. 1st I officially started a "Life Style" change that I have good faith will bring about a drop in weight, healthier eating habits, increased energy and a long life. In other words, I got tired of being a "Lard Butt!"

Am in a nutrition class once a week, hitting the gym for an hour - 4 days a week and am eating/drinking 10 times more healthy than I ever have.

Today is day 22 and I don't feel like I've yet to establish a solid eating habit but I'm well on my way.

Though I've not dropped a single pound in weight, I have successfully gone from 29% body fat to 26%.

My goal, more than weight related, is to get to 15% body fat.

I'm currently 6' 2", 258lbs...

Anyone else getting off their backsides and putting down the Snickers?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stopped smoking, gaining lard a$$.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Stop smoking, work out more, find and nurture true love...

I've got my work cut out for me.

I'm only 240 lbs at 6'3" but it couldn't hurt to bulk up a bit like I was when I worked in the junkyard.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm 6"1 and at 205 or so...

I run 12 miles a week. I've gained 10 pounds since November 2008 and am motivated to lose it and more.

I cut out sugar in my coffee (lots of coffee means lots of sugar), started to eat a better breakfast to tame my increasing appetite throughout the day, and will not eat much past 6 PM.

The main thing for me is to quit eating when I'm satisfied or full and not until my plate is clean or because I'm bored. This is my main issue.

Good luck to you...

Last edited by Gmoney; 01/22/09.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The athletic trainer I work with has told me it takes about two weeks before you'll see weight loss. If your hitting weights you'll most likely see results like I did, you'll increase muscle mass so the loss in weight may be less. Loosing body fat is a good thing.

Good luck, stick with it!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I switched from torch cutting to a piloting a desk I started losing the tone and density from when I was moving 700-lb liquid oxygen bottles around and lifting metal pieces.

I have a lot less appetite now since I am divorced, and my next girlfriend is going to be a cooker...My ex-wife only ever made 3 meals on a rotating basis, and the rest of the time wanted to eat out. A big reason why I went from 175 lbs to 240 in the years we were dating/married.

I'm still no fatty but I just feel bulkier than I did in college when I was eating a good home cooked meal every night with mom and dad.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When I switched from torch cutting to a piloting a desk I started losing the tone and density from when I was moving 700-lb liquid oxygen bottles around and lifting metal pieces.

Hopefully that stuff won't come back to haunt you....................... as in back troubles later in life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
didn't wait for the new year but I was sloooww getting started.

usually start to train right after hunting season

was late November this year for me to get started so I'm about weeks into it.

quit drinking any kind of soft drink, just water and creatine, quit eating any kind of dessert, haven't given up alcohol though so that's a problem for weight loss.

things are starting to tighten up a bit and I'm sure some fat has been replaced by muscle mass. Am only down from 215 to 204 though, and things start to get good for me at around 190, I'm 6'1" btw.

creatine has lots of carbs, but I like to use it when lifting strenuously, seems to help cut down on lactic acid build up.

not doing much aerobically other than working the heavy bag and speed bag.

figure to bulk up a bit with lifting then go low carb, and spring time start training for sheep season.

got a new rifle this year that should save me almost 2 pounds on weight over my old standby, figure I need to work on the rifle carrier.

come August you wouldn't want to be a legal sheep I'm hopin

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the gym was packed with new people the first week of January....when I went yesterday it was pretty much back to the same old gang. Happens every year. You have to keep at it long enough that it becomes a habit.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dawn2Dusk,

Working out shouldn't be a news years resolution, it should be more of a life resolution.

Diet in Exercise should be a way of life. Its tough to stay on a NYR but if you say I want to change my eating habits and life, you will normally succeed. I have been going to the Gym for a long time. The manager and I are friends and normally joke about his Jan 1st enrollment. By March 1st, the gym is back to normally with almost all of the Jan 1st enrollies not showing up.

Its a pain to get on a routine. Find a routine that fits for you whether you are into lifting routine such as a Bigger, Faster, Stronger Program, or just looking at losing the weight, toning a bit and having good cardio.

Get someone to go to the gym with you, lift, etc. I normally go with my wife everyday. She normally runs 5-6 miles when I lift, and do cardio. When I don't want to go to the gym, she pushes me to go and vice versus. It will help to keep you going.

GOOD LUCK!

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have never been a lard azz but i took my annual physical a few weeks ago and my chlosterol and blood sugar was a tad higher than it should have been and so my doctor told me to lose at least ten pounds so i started running again at the high school track.
I have already lost four pounds in the last three weeks.
I have run for well over thirty years but the last two years i found myself not working out nearly as much.
But i already feel much better so at my present age og 56 i think i better stay with it.
The obituaries are full of people in my age group on a daily basis.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
quit eating any kind of dessert,

Good God man!! Life is uncertain - eat your dessert first!! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thats like telling me "No Beer!"

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Hopefully that stuff won't come back to haunt you....................... as in back troubles later in life.

Yeah, tell me about it. Last fall as I was cutting the yard for the last time, the drive belt slipped off the tractor. I shut it off and bent over slightly to give it a push off of the pile of wet grass so I could look under it, and it felt like someone shot me in the back!

I was able to get back inside but for 3 days I was using Icy-hot, etc. Muscle spasm.

Man, when I was there in the 'yard, it was like the Bob Seger song "Like a Rock." 100 degrees in the summer down to 10 below zero with a -20 windchill I was out there doin' it. Sometimes calf-deep in snow or drenched with rain but I did it. Worst job ever but at the same time best job I ever had.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've decided it's time for a lifestyle change when I noticed it was a little harder to breath. I only have about 2/3 to 3/4 lung capacity of a "normal" person. This is due to enlargement of the left side of my heart because of a congenital heart disease called Tetrology of Fallot.

Most of the defects associated with Tetrology of Fallot were corrected via open heart surgury when I was 8 years old. However I still have narrowed pulminary artery, and heart rhythm problems (atrial fibrillation and atrial tachycardia). I also can not sustain a lot of physical activity which prevented me from playing organized sports.

Because of the heart rhythm problems, I have an ICD (defibrillator/pace maker)and I'm taking meds that lower one's heart rate. The side effects of the meds are increased weight gain and low energy levels.

To combat the side effects I walk on a treadmill for at least 30 minutes a day. I do need to get a heart rate monitor to watch my heart rate. Last summer it got too high (which I didn't notice at the time) while doing yard work and it cause the ICD to fire a shock (NOT fun).

Since Jan 1 I've been watching what I eat and walking on a regular basis. I've lost about 7 pounds and have noticed increased energy and better breathing.

Hopefully I can keep on track. It seams every time I get this far I suffer some kind of set back.

I'm knocking on wood this time.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sierrabravo45. hit the nail right on the head. Diet and exercise should be a way of life. People expect quick weight loss after two days in the gym. Proper weight loss in many cases is measured in months and years not days. I started running outside 4 to 8 miles 5 days a week in 1984. I ran almost all year round. Competing in 5K to 30K races. When I turned 55 years old It was time to stop running outside and go into the Gym for less impact on my joints. Last May after competing in a 42 story stair climb I had open heart cabageX4. Four blockages into the left side of my heart that was caught on a heart scan. Why? -- Eating habits and genes. Doctors told me my long term exercise program saved me from any heart attack. I'll be 60 yrs old in Feb. and will compete in the stair climb again in March. I just did 2 hours between the stair stepper and treadmill. Every one should devote at least 45 min. per day for exercise. Just do it. Makes me feel like I'm 19 again. Web

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Every one should devote at least 45 min. per day for exercise. Just do it. Makes me feel like I'm 19 again. Web

Yup! I get all kinds of nagging aches and pains if I skip more than a week from the gym.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm planning on starting shortly...Just need to iron out some things like where I'll be moving to after the house is sold, etc. then I can start a fitness plan.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tis good for mental health, along with physical. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Thats like telling me "No Beer!"

No beer for you whistle ........Us non-lardass's will take up the slack! grin

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,630
Posts18,512,055
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.