-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Do you use a GPS for hunting & etc.? What Make and model do you like or dislike? Now that I have your attention... I'm looking for a used GPS. See classifieds Thanks, Greywolf

wasn't he brave...the man that discovered that frog legs are edible..
GB1

Y
Y
<BR>I own an 'Eagle Explorer' GPS that I've used for the last 6 years. I have had excellent luck with it: waterproof, easy to use, 'locks-in' usually less than a minute.<P>I use it more for fishing in the boat but occassionally hunting. Its a good piece of equipment to have.

<BR>One time I knew this one guy who....<BR>
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have a Magellan Pioneer and have used it for about 5 years now and it seems to do the job for me. There are faster, more precise and models with more toys out there, but this one gets me to within 50 feet of any marked pionts, so that's ok by me.......deadeye

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Some days you're the dog. Some days you're the hydrant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greywolf, -- I went through the agony of trying to decide which GPS to get, not knowing anything about them and wound up with a Garmin III plus. Garmin is one of if not the top of the line GPS on the market. The model I bought does everything but wash your feet, now if I just knew which button to push. [Linked Image] Haven't used it hunting or fishing yet but have no doubt it will do everything I need. We have more satellites over Texas than stars, all the stars are over Colorado and Wyoming, all you have to do is look up and you can tell this is true. There are cheaper models out now that some of the guys are using with great results, personally I would stick with Garmin. <BR>-- no<P>------------------<BR>A hint to the wise is sufficient! Smiles are contagious, infect everyone!

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Garmin e-Map. Has shown accuracy to as close as 11 feet. Does very well under moderate canopy & even recieves when stuck in my Dodge's cupholder. [Linked Image] Has a basic map built in, Interstates, State roads, bodies of water, airports, etc. I like it. badger. <P>------------------<BR>Gun control is good bullet placement.....

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Garmin GPS12 works great. But ya should have a compass along too and know how ta use it!! Cuz someday that gps may not work then what??

220 Swift still king.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just picked up a Garmin E-trex, haven't used it in the woods yet, just around town, but it is amazing, takes me back within a few feet of the marked spot every time. Its small & light weight, cheap ( $119 ) and very easy to use.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope. Used to use a compass knew the area. Got lost a lot!<P>------------------<BR><B>T LEE</B><BR>Remember: There is no such thing as OVERKILL. Just a generous margin of SAFETY! <P><B>APATHY!.........Freedoms greatest enemy!</B>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Swift, Lee, I always carry a compass--don't leave home without it. I only have my "back yard to wander in, but it is the size of Connecticut and Rhode Island combined. It's hard to remember every path. If,in fact, I am using a path. I want to use the GPS for marking bear trails and eventualy stands over a wide area. A fine, upstanding gentleman (on another forum) has come to my aid with a good deal. After I recieve it, I will let you know how it does. Thank you all for your input. Greywolf

wasn't he brave...the man that discovered that frog legs are edible..
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
UPS just delivered it. Garmin GPS Map76, with their Topo software. Got this one because I can also mount it in by boat, and use an external antenna.<P>Phil

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phil, -- doubt you will need an external antena. Took my Garmin to Bohnam first of the week and it told me how fast I was traveling walking or in the truck, the direction, a map showing which highways I was on and all crossing roads, names of towns and lakes I passed or went through. When programed with locations it tells you estimated time of arrival, also sun rise and sun set times where you are, also has a compass built in, BUT, BUT my batteries went dead. Been in the GPS over a year, carry extra batteries! Mine is advertised to run 36 continuous hours on four AA alkiline batteries, don't know, haven't used it that much, but like what I have so far. You will like your GPS just as much as the rest of us like ours. They all do the same thing, get you there and back. See you at the Slam and we can all cuss them together. [Linked Image] --no<P>PS, Bring CAT a good bottle of Kalifornia wine and I will pay for it. 20-20 or Thunderbird first or Boons Farm Jug will be fine, should go with my Schlitz just fine.<P>------------------<BR>A hint to the wise is sufficient! Smiles are contagious, infect everyone!<p>[This message has been edited by need one (edited June 13, 2001).]

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I also have a Garmin eTrex but I havent really put it to the test yet. I just got it a couple of months ago. <P>The main reasons I bought that particular one were price and it didnt seem to have so many features that it would be hard to operate.<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>

<A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mark has the etrex and loves it. Water proof etc and is a bright yellow so it is easy to find should he drop in water etc..<P>Toons<P>------------------<BR>Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.
T
T
Keep us posted as you try the Garmin eTrax in the woods. At one time people thought I was a compass, but with loosing some hair and pep, I've also lost my sense of direction. Being on a budget nowdays, the eTrax looks inviting, but I don't know anyone who's tried one in the woods. Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (1minute, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,648
Posts18,512,573
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.