Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Can anone recommend a good moose outfitter in either Ontario or
possibly Alberta? I have been away from out of state hunting for
about 10 years, and I'd like to find an outfitter in an area where I might be able to get a license for a bull(small will do)
without having to go thru a drawing. In the "General Big Game"
thread I asked basically the same question except it was for mule
deer and I didn't get alot of response. I did a hunt in Alberta
10 years ago and was happy with it for the most part, except for the fact that if you did not get an opportunity(shot), you would
be able to get a hunt at 1/2 price the following year. That did
not come to pass when I tried to book a hunt the following year.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hi there

Do not overlook Manitoba! Many do!

I used to live in Manitoba, so perhaps I can help.

This outfitter has a great reputation but will not be the cheapest (they have an exclusive agreement with a huge area controlled by an Indian band who do NOT hunt the area). Moose are real big and success rates high. http://www.huntsinmanitoba.com/mooseintro.html You will be able to hunt a wolf and fish on the same trip too!

These guys have been in business for (I think) about 20 years -- I can recall them from about 1990 I think. http://www.manitobahunts.com/moosehunt.htm They sell hunts on the Manitoba wilderness permits so that means fly in, and you hunt in an area with hunting pressure so light that the moose (and other critters) can be as old as the wolf predation will allow them to get!

These are both really high quality moose, high success rate hunts. There will be cheaper options, but Manitoba is often overlooked even though it has lots of really big moose. Worth your time to check these two out at least. And, if you want to really economize, you will find cheaper Manitoba hunts that will be better than you can get in Ontario (and I used to live there too!).

John

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don and Annette Elliot of Mattice Lake Outfitters in Armstrong, Ontario (about 160 miles north of Thunder Bay) seem to run a good business. Been at it for years, and get lots of repeat customers. In Ontario, Non residents have to be registered with an outfitter anyway, and the outfitters are alotted a certain number of adult tags, so check into it. It ain't cheap, but it's fun, and it's tasty.

[Linked Image]

This one is smallish, but he'd eat jess fine. Wife shot one about that size this fall, and it's real good.

Last edited by the_shootist; 01/23/09.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can second Brother Keith's recommendation for Mattice Lake Outfitters. We hunted with them for 7 years. They have top flight camps and equipment. Their camps are located anywhere from about 50 to 90 air miles north of Armstrong.

Only reason we have been hunting elsewhere for the last couple of years is that we are able to cut off 4 to 5 hours driving time by going to the camp where we now go while still being able to hunt in the same general area.

Your success rate will depend to a great extent on your ability to call. The WMU's where they hunt open this year on Sept. 19th for residents and on Sept. 21st for non-residents. We usually figure the rut is on by about the 25th to the 28th depending upon weather.

Look up their web site, it covers any questions you may have.

Jim

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Manitoba and Ontario are both non draw areas for non residents as they must go through an outfitter to hunt moose. Alberta tags are available through outfitters I believe,but if you want to hunt with a resident hunter/host you must apply through the draw which may take several years depending on which WMU you want to hunt.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by contender
I did a hunt in Alberta
10 years ago and was happy with it for the most part, except for the fact that if you did not get an opportunity(shot), you would
be able to get a hunt at 1/2 price the following year. That did
not come to pass when I tried to book a hunt the following year.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Unfortunatly....its hunting....and an opportunity is pretty hard to guarantee. Frustrating part of guided hunts for sure...

Which area of Alberta did you hunt?

Another option would be BC if I was booking a moose hunt....very good trophy quality and excellent opportunities....

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I guess I could have been a little more explicit on what I was
trying to get across. I saw plenty of cows and the guy I was partnered with got a crack at a bull. Other guys in camp got bulls. I was not bummed out at not getting a shot; however, there
was a guarantee that if you did not get an opportunity, that your
hunt the following year would be at 1/2 price. When I was in the
process of booking the next year the outfitter renegged on the
1/2 price guarantee.
The area we were hunting was west of Edmonton, south of Edson.

doo-wop music."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by contender
I guess I could have been a little more explicit on what I was
trying to get across. I saw plenty of cows and the guy I was partnered with got a crack at a bull. Other guys in camp got bulls. I was not bummed out at not getting a shot; however, there
was a guarantee that if you did not get an opportunity, that your
hunt the following year would be at 1/2 price. When I was in the
process of booking the next year the outfitter renegged on the
1/2 price guarantee.
The area we were hunting was west of Edmonton, south of Edson.

Okay...ya thats different. Some guys will offer that deal, and sounds like you had a guy get cheap on ya. Crappy deal for sure.

Edson country is nice country for sure.

If you are interested in BC hunting check out www.fredlundguideservice.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
contender,
Have you thought about Saskatchewan for your moose hunting trip? I have hunted the Cumberland House area four times now and we have always got moose. The outfitter is John Carriere and three years ago when we went the costs were $2500 + $400 for the liscense. Black bear can be added for an additional fee. The biggest moose I personally saw taken was 57". Black bear are running between 400-600lbs.
skitish

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skitish
contender,
Have you thought about Saskatchewan for your moose hunting trip? I have hunted the Cumberland House area four times now and we have always got moose. The outfitter is John Carriere and three years ago when we went the costs were $2500 + $400 for the liscense. Black bear can be added for an additional fee. The biggest moose I personally saw taken was 57". Black bear are running between 400-600lbs.
skitish

Good deal. Cumberland house does have lots of moose (and some BIG ones) and that is cheaper than I expected for that area.

I think I may have been overlooking Saskatchewan the way I said most people overlook Manitoba! smile

John

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
contender,
If you would like John's phone number let me know. John's camp is on a series of islands. You will want to have a set of chest waders or at least hip boots. He offers three or four hunts and I believe I have been on three late season and one early season hunts. With the late season you need to be ready for any weather, and since all the transportation is by open boat you will want clothing that blocks the wind. I have found the "dry fleece" offered by Cabelas to be very good at this. The shooting is up close and personal so I would suggest you know where your rifle shoots at 50 feet out to 100 yards. John is an excellent guide and has a very good camp. Don't plan on loosing any weight on this hunt. Let me know if you have any questions.
skitish

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Would like to get the particulars. I can go either the easy way
or the strenuous way as I go snowshoeing almost every day up the hill out of my door or cross country skiing. I would have to draw the line at staying at a 'spike camp' as I'm to old to be
sleeping outside at my age. If it's under about 40F, I want to be in a wall tent or cabin. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by contender; 01/31/09.

doo-wop music."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
contender,
John and Freda can be reached at:
(306) 888-2098
jcarrieresasktel.net
This is a fully guided hunt. Accommodations are log cabins. There is a camp cook. The only thing you have to provide is clothing, weapons and any alcoholic beverages you need.
skitish

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
contender--have you considered NEWFOUNDLAND. there are a number of good outfitters working the island, and success is almost a sure thing. if you need more info, e-mail me or pm.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for replying. It's a little farther than some of the others, but, I will keep it in mind if you can post the name and
address.

doo-wop music."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 19 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,875
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.