Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We had an incident yesterday in the Mid. TN. area which started as a veh. pursuit due to a violation of an order of protection incident. The situation ended in the violator being shot to death after he exited his pickup truck with a handgun pointed at two Deputies. It's suspected that this was a suicide by cop situation. Neither Deputy was injured. Both carried Glock 22's.

The Deputies were never able to exit their veh's but shot through the windshield killing the subject, as the subject approached the Deputies quickly.. This is a technique that is trained in TN. LE academies. They use heavy clear plastic over the windshield area of an old car body. You sit behind the wheel and draw and fire.

This maybe a technique and situation that citizens should train for, if a subject runs up to you armed and you can't escape. You may very well have to shoot through either your windshield or door glass to save your life.

GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Me no wanna be in that position. . . . . wink

Glad the deputies are OK.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad the Deputies are OK. I would do it if the only option, but without hearing protection it is gonna be rough. I know, better to lose hearing than your life but.........

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Glad the Deputies are OK. I would do it if the only option, but without hearing protection it is gonna be rough. I know, better to lose hearing than your life but.........

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's very loud, even with ear plugs during the training cycle. It's a good training process though. I've done it in an old thrashed out patrol unit, that had only a dashboard, and steering wheel, drivers seat and seat belt.

Many folks learn that a seat belt can have limitations, got to be removed first, due to blocking your draw. Many of your newer security holster systems, are difficult to draw from while sitting down.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Especially if you're carrying a .357 Magnum.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Especially if you're carrying a .357 Magnum.

LEO's for the majority don't carry anything loaded in 357 Mag. anymore. Even the last agency to carry revolvers in this state stopped over ten years ago.

I shot the windshield training for the first time using a 10mm S&W 1076 over ten years ago, it was loud with both ear plugs and earmuffs on. Have done it since with a Glock 23 and a Glock 21, along with a S&W 342 38+P.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not to mention the risk to the eyes. The flying glass particles could easily take away clear vision.
Man, I'm glad the LE guys are OK. It could have turned out much worse.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Similar kill in Iowa, Cedar Rapids. BG took 14 rounds from a .40 Glock. The first several were through the windshield from the inside!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Trained with SIG 229's in .357 SIG w/ 125 gr Ranger SXT's ,the same as Hunter 1960. We were ear plugged as well as good muffs. Goggles for eye protection as well. POI was quite close to POA out to 20 feet or so.

I've fired a 4" .357 mag in an enclosed area. Quite "surprising" But NOTHING like the 357 SIG inside a vehicle!!! LOL.

FN in MT

I'm tryin' to think .... but nothin's happenin!!
Curly Howard
T
T
saw that video on TV tonight....a good shoot

didn't realize they shot through the windshield, very interesting...would never have occurred to me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2000, a buddy of mine in New Orleans attempted a traffic stop on some people who had just robbed a bank. His car got shot up pretty bad. He ended up firing a tight group of 9 through the windshield with no hits. The bad guys jacked another car stopped in traffic and got away.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Thunderroost
saw that video on TV tonight....a good shoot

didn't realize they shot through the windshield, very interesting...would never have occurred to me

They didn't have a whole lot of choice. They couldn't exit the veh. That had to shoot through the glass.

I am glad that they had been trained in this technique and knew that it would work. I've seen people freeze up in practice stress course shooting scenario's.

It's been discovered that the subject fired through one of the patrol units windshield prior to the Deputies returning fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunter 1960

You need to post this on the Hunters Campfire also. It's good info and those who don't come down here to Hand Guns should see this.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Hunter 1960

You need to post this on the Hunters Campfire also. It's good info and those who don't come down here to Hand Guns should see this.

Ok i will.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I saw a training video somewhere recently about shooting into and out of vehicles through the windshield. Shooting from the inside, when the bullets struck the windshield they would angle up several inches from POA at distances much past the end of the hood.

Bullet wise, the Speer Gold Dot HP is one of the only ones that will hold together going through a windshield. I was at the SIG Academy Ammunition Seminar back in the late 90s. They shot several different types of ammo and all of them except the Gold Dots shed their jackets came off and were found on the floor between the test glass and the gelatin block or stuck to the face of the gelatin block... The GDs being a plated bullet has nothing to shed..

Bob

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for posting!

Glad to hear that the deputies are okay and that it was a good shoot.

Good stuff. I was particularly interested to hear about the effect that the glass has on trajectory and the bullet jackets.

I have heard all sorts of stories about how auto glass effects bullets. Good to get actual facts.

Chuck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously bonded core bullets fare better in this sort of situation. Now, Speer, Federal, Winchester, and Remington all have bonded core bullets in their line-up. They are all good offerings and if any one of them is reliable and accurate in your handgun, which shouldn't be a problem, you are well armed for handgun ammo.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You can read the local paper where the incident occured.

www.manchestertimes.com

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For those that didn't see the thread in the Campfire section...

Originally Posted by jds44
A post from one of the officers involved:
Officer's point of view

Edited video of the incident:
incident video

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm not a LEO so the odds of me shooting someone through my windshield and not going to jail are pretty low IMO. When it comes to self-defense, I'm a big advocate of situational awareness. In a vehicle, you would VERY likely be able to get out of any situation better by hitting the gas as opposed to reaching for a gun (provided you don't break the rule about leaving enough space around your vehicle to get out of the position you're in). Just my .02 cents but something to think about regardless......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 68 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,085
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.