Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went to a VA Hospital today, first time I ever took advantage of any of my benefits. Must say that was the friendlist bunch of people I have ever met in a hospital. Service ten times better than a regular hospital where all they think about is getting your money. Won't be able to see a doctor till the end of August for a physical unless an emergency comes up. Only saw two young folks there, the rest wore grey beards and beer bellys. The hospital staff made me feel special. Made me wonder, just how many vets do we have here around the campfire? I know of four or five, surely we have more than that. Give us a shout. -- no<P>------------------<BR>A hint to the wise is sufficient! Smiles are contagious, infect everyone!

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am a Navy veteran.I served in Desert Storm and peacekeeping missions in Somolia and Bosnia.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Another sailor, but a gray bearded one .... from the Vietnam era, 1971-1975. Last couple years were spent on a carrier, lurking in the Persian Gulf area. (Remember that earlier gasoline "shortage"?) ~ Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i was in the navy. went to the gulf. served on uss constellation. wouldn't trade the experience for nothin', but you couldn't get me back in for nothin', either.<P>------------------<BR>Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MACV 1964-65, It sucked! The VA has treated me well when in need but took quit a while to get into the system. Seems when I was discharged from the hospital and the Army they "forgot" to include my medical records in the 201 file that went to archive. Since having it resurected all is well.<P>------------------<BR><B>T LEE</B><BR>Remember: There is no such thing as OVERKILL. Just a generous margin of SAFETY! <P><B>APATHY!.........Freedoms greatest enemy!</B>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

C
C
Big Time,<BR> My brother is serving on the Connie right now, cruising around the persian gulf. He's an NFO in the Red Griffins, what did you do? Just curious... <BR>Dave

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
need one:<P>I guess I'm a greay beard too. I served a year in I Corps in '70 & '71 with the 1st Marine Division. <P>I went to college on the G.I. Bill and bought a house with a VA home loan. I've always been treated well by the VA. I'm getting old enough that I have started looking into VA medical benefits too but haven't needed to use them yet.<P>I joined the VFW, the Marine Corps League and the American Legion right after I got out of the service. But haven't been active for many years.<P>KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U S Navy (regular) 1949-1953 � three years at the Naval Photographic Center (Anacostia, DC), two years on production crew, NBC-TV documentary series "Victory at Sea." Weekly chits applying for transfer to Pacific Fleet Combat Camera Group (Korea) all came back "approved (qualified replacement required)." There was no qualified replacement in the fleet, so I saw that war in the projection booths that my film-inspection crew and I operated at NPC. Studied forestry and wildlife management at Auburn U, U of Montana, and U of Alaska on PL 550 (remember when $110 a month was that much money?). Bought home with VA loan. Haven't needed VA hospital yet, but I've driven a couple of buddies (WW2 and 'Nam vets) over to Fort Harrison (Helena) several times. It is indeed a congenial place.<P>Considering what so many other guys have been through, before and after my hitch, I don't really feel like a vet.<BR>

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Clement, -- seems like Carpetman, Blaine, and myself are the only Air Force here, Blaine is in Japan on active duty, coming home in 6 weeks. I joined the AF to see the world, enlisted in Albuquerque,NM flew me to San Antonio for basic, pulled me out of basic, to be a Tatical Instructor. I spent four years in the same squadron, 3706, stayed in the same barracks over a year, moved across the street to another barracks for the rest of my time, training troops. The closest I got to an aircraft was when they flew over us, about 500' landing at Kelly AFB, next to us. Looks like the Navy is well represented here. I know there are several Army here that hasen't checked in yet, Ready_on_the_Right is hiding out there somewhere with some of the others. -- no <P>------------------<BR>A hint to the wise is sufficient! Smiles are contagious, infect everyone!

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Army, Artillery ( maybe that's why I still like Big Guns?) Germany '71-'73. Had orders for Nam early on, five company's before me all went, they changed my MOS, trained me to be a "Field Arty mechanic", sent me to Germany, where they said they didn't need "no stinking Field ary mechanics", gave me OJT in Fire Direction Center. finally landed a cush Parts clerk job before leaving.<BR> Came home, was put in Annual Training National Guard, served one full year Active Guard ( Texas) artillery of course, bought home on VA Loan. Here in Salt lake City, the VA Hospital is absolutly one of the best. I don't use the Benefits, but being a Pastor, I visit many people there, and they are sent here for heart work from other states. Proud to have served. Jim.

James P. Knight
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
P.S. If I let my beard grow, it IS grey! Right now, I just have grey in the temples. I'm also pretty sure you don't have to drink beer to get one of those bellys! Ha. I fight mine all the time, and time just keeps marching on! Jim

James P. Knight
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can add me to the Air Farce rolls. Spent 68 through 71 in Intelligence. (Jokes not necessary, I have heard them all and participated in several of them.) Couple of years in Anchorage and a couple in Taiwan. Not too bad all in all. TM

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Army here 86 thru 92, 504th PIR, served in the invasion of Panama and Desert Storm. Went to college on the GI bill. Fat and lazy now.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
11-Bravo, just a grunt in '69--saw Hill 861 up close and personal. Most of my squad came home in body bags, I came home without a scratch. Bothers me still. Lived in Canada the last 30 years got free medical here.<P>While we're on the subject--anybody been to the war memorial in D.C.? I'm thinking I need to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
clement: i was a BT, back before the BT's got converted to MM's. i worked in 4 MMR. lot's many hours in the 'pit'. lot of hard, hot work, lot of sweat...made a couple great friends, and had a few laughs, but mostly worked!<P>kinda glad to hear the connie is still steamin'. i figured it would be decommed by now being as it is a cv, and not a cvn.<P>------------------<BR>Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
USN retired ('75-'94), VFW, DAV, TROA. Been to all but one continent.<P>Having been involved with the VA thru DAV, I must say they have their good days and their bad. But mostly they have their great regions and their poor ones. Bend<p>[This message has been edited by Bend (edited June 12, 2001).]

C
C
Old Navy here. 61 to 65. Spent 4 years in the engine room of a destroyer. DD718. Also spent 18 years in the Air National guard here at home after that. Did some time in the waters off nam in 65.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Air Force- 8 yrs (Keesler AFB, Diyarbakir AS Turkey, Roedelheim (Frankfurt) Germany, Ft Gordon Ga, and HQ USAF. AFRES-2.5 yrs Charleston AFB SC. Ga Air NG-2.5 years to date Dobbins ARB.<P>mrfudd

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Foreign veteran [Linked Image] (Served in South African Army 1978, 1981-1983 during the now politically incorrect "bush war".)<BR>badger.<P>------------------<BR>Gun control is good bullet placement.....

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kkahmann:<BR><B>While we're on the subject--anybody been to the war memorial in D.C.? I'm thinking I need to go.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>kkahmann,<BR>Yeah you gotta see it at least once. The statue off to the side really got me though.<BR><P>------------------<BR><B>T LEE</B><BR>Remember: There is no such thing as OVERKILL. Just a generous margin of SAFETY! <P><B>APATHY!.........Freedoms greatest enemy!</B>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,618
Posts18,533,005
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.