-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
back in high school, a lady friend wanted to go for a ride. I only had 1 horse so she rode behind. We headed up in the hills. Along the way, she wanted to learn to 'steer'. I had to go pee anyway so I got off and she got in the saddle while I went behind a sagebrush. The horse started walking home and she didn't have a clue about how to stop it. I followed that damn horse & girl for a mile before the horse stopped on it's own.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A one-rein stop is priceless! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
franks saga
fast forward a year. he is trying to sell a mule, hi price been up the mt. and all that. i guess he was trying to proov how good it was who knows. anyway a propane tank came off and was attached to a 10 ft rope. and well that mule tried to outrun that tank for several miles. and they said just when that mule couldnt go any faster- well the valve came open or broke and when he went thru the parking lot at the trailhead he was still shifting gears. heck he had a race mule now and the price went up. wish i had been there.

M
M
Hey Guys,
I use a Walker hitch for most of my loads it will hold a top pack tight, panniers or boxes are held away from the animals side and can be removed easily. I'm not saying it is the best but it works good for me most of the time.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
When you dismount to take a leak or axe blowdowns, make sure your horses are tied to a tree. It saves a lot of walking...ask me how I know! blush

You step down to take a leak?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can't have the horses step'n on it! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This thread is great! I might add to reach around, sorry no other conotations meant, and see how jumpy your saddle horse is around the tail, get a lead clamped down under the tail and it can sure get interesting. I liked to keep an Estwing campaxe with a strap on the sheath looped over the horn. And be darn familiar with conway buckles.

MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i kinda like all of them to be used to a crupper for that reason.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Make sure you put your rifle in the scaperd first then fasten it on to the animal last. Save three steps, one the rifle go's on last and easy to reach, you know the rifle fits, and that extra long shiney thing don't start the rodeo and train wreck that follows.

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Wildcat.Just wondering, Do you take your scabbard off every time you get off during the day? I might take my rifle out 5-8 times a day when I get off to hunt.
One reasonI like the butt aft on the animal.You never get to swinging the gun barel around the animal's head

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm with ss, wildcat. The scabbard never leaves the saddle and if the horse spooks at the mere sight of a rifle, I have some work to do.

I prefer butt aft as well, but I don't want a horse to be head shy. I've been known to carry in hand while aboard, including a Sharps, but not hot.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Guys, no I don't take the scabberd off all the time. I just once saw a ridding mule blow up because of a long gun being carried up to it. This was a mule that had been on many trips with no problems, the rifle got busted up. One thing to do all the packing by yourself, it is another with paying clients that know it all. Seen guns shoved in scabberds like they were trying to gut The animal. Seems like most times a blow up happens, it's not the animals fault.

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's never the animal's fault. They always feel justified. grin

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BTT

Anybody have any new tricks learned the hard way?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
well, another of franks lessons. after a long day getting in we unloaded and unsaddled. i turned to lay out some gear and frank tied his horse at the end of a 12 ft lead rope. about 3 ft high.
i asked if that pony was broke to picket out. "he wont do anything" whereupon ole broomtail began a slow turn as he grazed pulling the rope tight on his fetlocks. i cut the rope when he was still in midair before anything was hurt. frank was real hot i cut his lead rope. and it was pretty fancy knife work if i do have to say it myself.

M
M
Oh the storys that could be told... I agree its really never the animals fault, a mule can not help it if your not smarter than him.

I prefer gun butt forward but we are dealing with dudes here. Never leave a gun in a scabard unless you are right there to prevent rolling or pack mule eating the stock or such things.

Heres something worth saying, a britchen on every riding saddle is a sure good idea cruppers are close to worthless in the real mountains. I like a decker style britchen with 2 quarter straps and the lower strap attached to the cinch ring. On mules this is a MUST and even most horses will benefit from the riggin.

I sent my girl when she was 13 to a mule clinic on her 3 year old mule. Well it turned out to be like a live sale for mule gear, That Steve Edwards mule guy sells a thin little britchen that just attaches to the saddle I thought well thats ok for town but you obviously dont spend much time in the back county. The more he said you didnt need 2 quarter straps the more I knew he wasnt from Idaho.

Leather is best for britchen and breast collar material and 7/8" is as thin as you want to go.

Take some baler twine in your saddle bags every where you go you can do most anything with it.

Buy rope by the role and learn to back splice its not hard and something to do in winter while everyone else is off lion hunting....

Leave the heels long on mules and if you do have to shoe god help you in the ice if you dont use boreum. Shoeing a mule is like putting ice skates on over your vibram soles.

Get yourself stirrups big enough to fit the boots you hunt in make them or have them made if you have to. bent aluminum works good wrap with leather if you like.

Dudes should have knotted reins

Give your mule treats for no reason at odd times. This makes them much easier to catch when you need to. Always share your lunch with yer mule.

Introduce your mules to work when 2 but dont use them up thier knees and other joints dont close up all the way till they are 4+ most times.

You can buy a lot of fancy saddles but the best OTC back country saddle I have found is a Colorado Cody Mule. for a production saddle its hard to beat.

flashlights and headlamps are great for humans in the dark but try not to blind your poor mule.

Speaking of the dark always take the dudes up the scary stuff in the dark you never get them to stay on or quit leaning high side if its light out.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
MrsCinIdaho.You must ride here in Co too. All very true. Mule savvy is hard to come by.
I finaly bought a pair od Break Away stirrups form STI after getting hung up pretty bad.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 1moredeer, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,252
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.