Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i used to put a muzzle break on every gun i owned. now that age has crepped up on me, i am really starting to despise them.they are allright shooting from a bench with REALLY good hearing protection,but these new shooting rests have taken the need for the break.i have never liked them for hunting though. what are your thoughts??

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Used to have a few-- No more...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A horrible device....

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
WHAT???

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great for seeing your hits, a must for LR shooting. Wear ear protection and the noise shouldn't bother you. If it does, stick the rimfires...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A break in the muzzle would be a very bad thing, and would require shortening and recrowning the barrel.

Muzzle brakes, on the other hand are a hideous invention designed, at best, to compensate for poor shooting technique amongst the overgunned.

They likely have utility for heavy fire of heavy weapons, in a military tactical sense. For normal sporting arms, they are generally a mark of narcissism, ignorance, or both.

I don't think much of them, in other words... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I dont like em either but my 500 S&W has one and my 30/378 Weatherby has one.....I just wear earplugs and shoot by myself.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All 12 of my rifles have Gentry muzzle brakes on them,even my 22-250,I like them I don't care what anybody else says about them.My arthritic shoulder says they work GREAT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate them. Don't want to be anywhere near one when it goes off.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I won't use one because I feel they are excessively loud. If I couldn't shoot a rifle without one I'd get another rifle.

Just my two bits.

IC B3

M
M
After reading these threads reminds me of a study the federal goverment did on college students. Whether or not they had pre marital sex. And the survey revield that some do and some dont. ha ha ha.

338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
muzzle brake or muzzle break??

United States Patent 7237353
Abstract:A muzzle break for a gun comprising a baffle, a series of slots in the housing of the muzzle break in which the slots exhaust gas of a pressure wave deflected by the baffle during firing of the gun.

U.S. patent office spells it "break" but who cares!

i was mainly thinking hunting rifles here,because most of the time you dont have time to put hearing protection on after you spot game.

Last edited by 338rcm; 01/30/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had two of them, but will not own one now, nor hunt near anyone with one on his rifle. PH's and guides universally hate them and for good reason. I also would shoot a lesser recoiling caliber before having one installed again.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
never again

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
All reduce recoil pretty much the same but they are very different with regards to what your spotter thinks about them. Having tried a few I have used the Holland Ultra brake for everything. Unless you see it hanging on the muzzle you dont know its there if your shooting next to me. This comment also comes from others on the line with me for matches. Now on the other hand I have shot by brakes two lanes over that were bothersome and annoying as all heck.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like them on tanks, howitzers, and .50 cal sniper rifles, everything else, no.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
338rcm-personally I choose to do like many others here have. I will not have a brake on my rifles. I've yet to find a rig that I can (and will) fire on a consistent basis that I would hunt with that needs to have brake on it.

My thoughts are brakes are for cars, not rifles...grin

But, to each his own if that's what you wish to do then by all means.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im all for em. Helps people who cant handle recoil handle it and put shots where they belong. Yes, makes them louder, but its not like there quiet to start with.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 300 Magnum of almost any flavor is loud for sure, but with a muzzle brake they are exponentially louder to the point of immediate and noticeable injury from the first shot on out. A rifle of decent and correct weight, shot from a reasonable shooting position, with a good recoil pad and a stock that fits the shooter reasonably well will not hurt the shooter and can be shot with excellent accuracy assuming even a modicum of practice beforehand. I can take an Advil or asprin if my shoulder hurts after shooting (it does not BTW) but the same pill will do nothing for my permanently damaged ears or those of my friends. Even in an excited hunting situation, where recoil will nearly always be a non factor, one DOES notice the painful noise from a braked rifle and I think these actually cause MORE flinch as a result, not less as would be supposed. Pain is pain and the body will try to steel itsself and avoid such when possible.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark, all should copy and heed your words on muzzle brakes. Shoulder pain goes away in days while hearing damage never heals. Put that way, it is a pretty easy decision. Ward

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,957
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.