Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
What would entice you to contribute more to the NRA for pro gun lobbying efforts. Less solicitation, more soliciation,a method to donate where the donors identity is unknown. Would you be more likely to donate if included in their request was a financial report showing executives salaries and expenses. Are their other pro gun lobbying groups that are spending wisely.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That they actually take a Strong stand against anymore damned gun laws, as it stands they have been pretty damned weak!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And yes there are others that are putting their money where their mouth is . One is GOA defending that guy that loaned a rifle that malfunctioned and got the shaft for transferring a full auto .

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
while the NRA Certainly has some issues with how, and what they do, there is no other organization doing a tenth as much for gun owners.
I am a life member, and proud of it.

Sam......

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Continue going after the states and cities that have laws conflicting with the Heller ruling. Since they have been *doing* that, I have been sending NRA-ILA money, solicitation not required.

Here in California they finally are doing, it is great...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a life member to Sam, but still get disgruntled at some of the legislation that they support.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
That they actually take a Strong stand against anymore damned gun laws, as it stands they have been pretty damned weak!

and your next go to group with enough power to do anything but form a club is..........

the nra is not a popularity or hunting buddy association. it is the only substantial organization in the world that stands up for gun owners.

as it stands they have been pretty damned weak!

how about going to nra.org and checking the facts. to be nice , as i respect you very much, your statement is at the least "disingenusous".

don't listen to me. read about the successes that the nra has garnered in the last year alone and then tell me who else can make similar claims.

i send money to others as i need all the guun friends i can get , but all together they don't provide enough real action to amount to what nra does on a single day.

i understand your not caring for the flow of material that comes to your house but it does serve 2 purposes.

it keeps them on your mind and it continues to rasie money from those that are more concerened with their gun owning future than you are.

nothing personal to either of you but if all you do is talk you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

i can't do a lot myself so i send money to those that can and support them as many ways as i think it benefits me.

here's a thought. if you don't like to send them money diectly then buy 5 new memberships and give them as gifts each year to those that are not aware of what the nra and what it does for them.

this will solve your delima of feeling put upon by the organization and help the nra continue the fight that has to be waged.

the govt is using your tax money to take your rights away. the cost of a few boxes of ammo or a couple of tanks of gas ought to be well worth it to you to have someone much more powerful than yourself on your side.

it is to me anyway.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men always stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The NRA has to much baggage to get anything done anymore. It's not a coincidence in the Heller case they were asked to stay out. I don't think they'll ever get anything done effectively anymore. I don't care how many members they represent. They've become the 800 pound gorilla that both sides know what is going to come out of it's mouth before it mutters a word.

If 1/10 the people who donated to the NRA each year called their congressman we wouldn't need the NRA.

The NRA in the past has been full of comprimise tactics. NEWS FLASH you can't compromise with the left because it becomes just take take take. They thought the '86 machine gun ban would buy them a lot of time and goodwill to get things done their way...yet a few years later they shoved the assault weapon ban down our throat.

The NRA either has to learn to play hardball or get out of the way for people who do.

Someone on the board of the NRA was quoted a few weeks ago saying he didn't see why people needed a firearm that held more than 5 rounds....on the board of the NRA.

The only thing the NRA gets a passing grade in is in watchdog efforts. Having someone on the hill at all times putting out the word on what bills are introduced. I give them an A for that effort. However that could probably be accomplished with about 1/1000th of their budget.

In the actual lobbying and education effort I give them an F....but then again I don't expect them to do my lobbying for me either.

Leadership they get an F minus. They are rapidly evolving into a DC elitist group in the leadership.

Last edited by NathanL; 02/04/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the democrats would hurry and ban guns, we wouldn't have all this bickering.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by terryger
how about going to nra.org and checking the facts. to be nice , as i respect you very much, your statement is at the least "disingenusous".

don't listen to me. read about the successes that the nra has garnered in the last year alone and then tell me who else can make similar claims.

NRA-ILA is daily reading for me, as is the home page for 2AF and JPFO. I will not say the NRA isn't doing great things with Heller, but there are quite a few other areas in which they bent when they shouldn't have. The big one is the bill that was drafted dealing with mental health. If you read that bill real close, it would not be hard for the government to screw any vet that has dealing with the VA thru that bill. Les

IC B3

R
RJD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The way the demorats are trying to take over the government. They don't care what the average American thinks about what they are doing or how they are getting it done. The NRA is a big lobbiest group.But,if they aren't in anyones pocket,then I wonder how much leverage they have against these demorats. There are a few Republicans still in the loop.But, how much power do they have. Our 800pound gorrila has been put on a leash. But,I'll keep sending them as much money as I can afford.

Everytime history repeats itself it gets more expensive.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Watch4bear, that's not likely to happen anytime soon, the House still has a pro second amendment majority. smile Granted, the number of pro second amendemnt members is now smaller than it was last year but it is still a majority. The only way I see gun control legislation getting passed is if Obama decides to make it an issue, if so he will need to put some major political pressure on pro second amendment Democrats like Clinton did with the AWB.

Last edited by NeBassman; 02/04/09. Reason: spelling

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I say the NRA has about ZERO effectivness in lobbying. Members of congress or either on board with the NRA or they are not. The NRA isn't changing any of that.

Just saying the NRA carries a lot of stigma with it. Let's say some leftist group came out with the BEST IDEA in the world. It's not looney, would work and would solve XXX problem. You think anyone would listen? Probably not.

That's the problem the NRA runs into. Not to mention they seem to be all over the place. One year their pro this and next year they act like it never existed.

A lot of it could be fixed with proper leadership but it's still not going to be as effective as if the people who donated simply made a phone call and/or wrote.

But it's easier for people to write out a check/use a credit card than to be bothered to write a letter that might take 10 minutes.

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Would you be more likely to donate if included in their request was a financial report showing executives salaries and expenses.

They are rapidly evolving into a DC elitist group in the leadership.

I am rapidly becoming fed up with any group/business/organization that is so fat at the top that they forget about the "little people" at the bottom who put them there. And I don't want to hear about paying for talent or any of that crap. They have forgotten why they are there, and becoming more and more concerned about themselves and "keeping" their job, rather than "doing" their job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Watch4bear, that's not likely to happen anytime soon, the House still has a pro second amendment majority. smile Granted, the number of pro second amendemnt members is now smaller than it was last year but it is still a majority. The only way I see gun control legislation getting past is if Obama decides to make it an issue and puts some major political pressure on pro second amendment Democrates like Clinton did with the AWB.

You're living in a fantasy world. It wouldn't take much at all. A few members here and there and it passes with ease. It's easy to pick up members of a minority becuase they'll find someone who is on the fence and wait till they are in a bind or need something for their home district and make a trade.

Happens all the time. The republicans will act tough for a while till they realise they aren't getting any pork in thier district to hang their re-election on. No one gets elected these days for voting no.

Otto is my co-pilot.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Nathan, it took me a while to find out whether or not the House still had a pro second amendment majority, trust me they do. You will not find the NRA advertising this fact because it would be bad for fund raising. Gun control legislation is not likely to get passed without some political pressure being put on the legislation from Obama.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Lets think about this for a minute.

The NRA is maybe 3/4 million members strong?

There maybe 60 million gun owners in America?

So 3/4 million supporting the gun rights for perhaps 60 million.

I realize some may support other pro gun organizations but most gun owners contribute nothing financially to support pro gun rights.

The NRA does ask for help quite a bit, I'll grant you that. But it's because only a few pitch in so the few are asked to do more. America is like that in general. If the NRA didn't ask the revenue would drop off.

Can you imagine how strong the NRA would be if we had 60 million members! We will need more than the 3/4 million we have now.

Can we all agree that no matter our differences with each other and our differences with the NRA we are going to be called upon in the next 4 years with more anti-gun intensity than we have EVER seen. What we went through with Clinton will pale in comparison with what we are about to face with Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the like. Of that be certain.

Please consider standing with the NRA, or some pro gun organization, as we are about to be pushed and pushed hard.

NRA and proud of it!

Thanks

Harry M.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Im with you 100% COLDBORE. Excellent statement!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"NRA-ILA is daily reading for me, as is the home page for 2AF and JPFO. I will not say the NRA isn't doing great things with Heller, but there are quite a few other areas in which they bent when they shouldn't have. The big one is the bill that was drafted dealing with mental health. If you read that bill real close, it would not be hard for the government to screw any vet that has dealing with the VA thru that bill. Les "

les, i agree with you but with that said, who else lifted a finger on any issue?

with all due respect to those that bring it up, i will not address the request to seperate the heller case with those that do not understand how the court system works or the reasoning behind it. the mere fact that you question it shows your lack of knowledge in civil procedure. to continue down that road would be useless.

please do not confuse my support with agreement to all things nra but i have not heard a peep about any alternatives. to paraphrase brother jesse, "if not the NRA then WHO? if not HERE , then WHERE? if not NOW, then WHEN?"

i just don't get a lot of you guys. the enemy is at the gates and you are grossing about how every body is not dressed the same. confused

the dems/antis don't worry about where the money comes from, who asked for what, or who has not handled the disarmament the way others think it should have been handled.

they are coming after your guns with the messiah leading them. let the nra fall and see how fast you are marching to the fed drop points and just like diane feinstien said it will be " If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out right ban,
picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,"

wake up an smell the coffee.
the dems have all the votes they need!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men always stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the majority of people are getting away from the original intent of the first post.

What I'd like to see?

Something that pissed me off to no end was when they sent me some promo dvd that I didn't request and if I didn't send it back they were going to charge me.

Did the same thing to my step-dad and he actually got the bill for it as he didn't pay attention.

Their tactics aren't far off of what "Buckmasters" does if you ever put your e-mail or phone no. anywhere on their website. They just won't take no for an answer.

Would also be nice if their magzines took more than two minutes to read from front to back as well.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 79 invisible), 3,610 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,344
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.