Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Number one. That's because it has no lenses to rob light. Assuming that by "brightest," you mean the one that transmits the most light.

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The larger scope has a larger exit pupil which allows the eye to resolve the image better.
It may also be better focused..... Just had to put that in there. Grin. E

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by djpaintless
DMB, In your example the 2 scopes will probably look identical. Use a better example like say 2 3-9scopes one with a 32mm obj and one with a 44mm obj and set them both on 9x and let someone with more normal pupils and they will most certainly see a difference in low light.
But if you really do have pupils that will only dialate to 4mm you probably won't be able to take much advantage out of a larger objective. This might account for some of the reports from people who claim they don't make a difference - they don't for them!..................................DJ

dj,

No, no. no. I deliberately asked the question the way I did because I wasn't looking for your answer. The answer to your set of assumptions and your question is obvious.
I want MY question answered, not yours. If you want to ask your question, please do so.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you thinking of the theoretical maximum resolution of the optical system as limited by the size of the aperture in the front?

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The larger scope has a larger exit pupil which allows the eye to resolve the image better.
It may also be better focused..... Just had to put that in there. Grin. E

Read my assumptions. My eye pupil opens to 4mm for both scopes. My 4mm pupil fits inside of both scopes exit pupils equally well, only one has more (extra) exit pupil surrounding the pupil of my right eye. Why would the larger objective scope be better than the other, as far as the photons striking the retina of my eye?

Last edited by DMB; 02/05/09.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DMB, No need to be rude. I answered your question with my first sentence.

There might be a theoretical difference in that the 3-9 might have more lenses and be slightly dimmer due to more lenses but that difference is likely below the detection threshold of the human eye. Also the scope with the larger exit pupil will be more forgiving of eye position. You'll see the full image in the entire 11mm shaft vs the 4mm shaft of the smaller objective with 7mm of tolerance..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Are you thinking of the theoretical maximum resolution of the optical system as limited by the size of the aperture in the front?

It's not a theoretical question at all. Guys on different forums are claiming that a larger objective scope allows you to see better than a smaller objetive scope. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the whole thing, with some clarity. If, on a given day, your eye pupil only opens up to 4mm, as an example, why does all the "extra" scope exit pupil of a large objective scope make for better viewing, than a smaller objective scope? (Given that the smaller obj scope has an exit pupil as large as 4mm, in my example)
That's exactly whay I worded my question as I did.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by djpaintless
DMB, No need to be rude. I answered your question with my first sentence.

There might be a theoretical difference in that the 3-9 might have more lenses and be slightly dimmer due to more lenses but that difference is likely below the detection threshold of the human eye. Also the scope with the larger exit pupil will be more forgiving of eye position. You'll see the full image in the entire 11mm shaft vs the 4mm shaft of the smaller objective with 7mm of tolerance..............................DJ

Wrong. You threw your stuff in the equation to muddy up the question I asked, and I didn't miss that.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't mean your question was 'theoretical' in the pejorative way some use that word.

The fineness of the details a given optical system can resolve has a theoretical limit determined by the size of the aperture. Here is an explanation given to me when a resolution question came up a while back:

Dawes limit is what it is called, explained somewhat here, and even this is not the full story, but close enough for our purposes:
http://hardinoptical.com/dawes.html

So using this formula a 50mm objective I will round off to 2 inches. 4.56 arc-seconds/2 inches=2.28 arc-seconds or in other terms 1/26th of an MOA. If two objects are at 1/26th of an MOA apart, and human vision is 1 moa capable then you need to magnify the object 26x to see something that close together. More magnification will not result in increased resolution at your eye. The image will grow, but the resolution has been limited by objective size. At lower magnifications the objective will not limit the resolution in any way you can see.

A perfect binocular at 50mm might have resolution to 1/26th of an MOA, but if it is say a 10x binoc then the image size will limit you to seeing 1/10th of an MOA details assuming you have average 1 moa vision in your eyes.

Any rez difference in different size binocs is not due to objective size, but rather due to optical design, lens quality etc.

I was asking if you were considering that effect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want me to take a stab at this I will have to say that the scope with the larger objective perhaps just has a better optical design. I know that you stated that you felt both were equal in quality (glass and coatings) but that doesn't mean that the design of the optical system is the same, especially given that we are talking about a fixed power vs. a variable. Just because a variable has more len's doesn't mean that it can't or won't resolve an image better. Some of the more expensive scope these days have more len's in them to sharpen image quality, be it brightness, resolution or contrast.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have three Ziess V series scopes,a 2.5-10x42,a 2.5-10x50,and a 3-12x56.

It is reasonable to assume that the optical quality of all three is practically the same,the only difference when all are set at a given magnification( 8x for example) is the exit pupil which is a function of the objective diameter.

In very dim light,it is possible to see more detail in the 56mm variable,followed by the 50mm,and the 42mm shows the least detail.

I typically use the 56mm scope from stands over agricultural fields,the 50mm is for hunting food plots,and the the 42mm has mostly been used stalk hunting.

I use even smaller and lighter scopes when I am going to have to carry a rifle a lot,mostly small Leupold variables.

Big scopes excel at some things and stink at others,but when it comes to serious low light performance, there is really no contest,a big exit pupil with plenty of magnification and really good optics wins easily.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm not going to read the relms of posts on this thread but I'm betting their are some goodies! smile

EVERYONE is not into big objective scopes or big scopes in general..My largest scope is a 2x7 Leupold and its on my varmint rifle, and a 4x12 is a nice varmint scope..

For big game I want no objective larger than 20 mm and I don't want it to protrude much beyond the front ring..My all time favorite hunting scopes are the 1.5x5, 1x4, and the old 3X Leupolds..They stay sighted in with rough use and they can be depended on to hold a zero almost as well as iron sights but not quite. Big scopes are continually going off zero with hard use and we see this every year in out hunting camps. I have done a lot of tests along these lines and they have convienced me that I am correct on this subject.

C
cole_k Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Don, I suspect clarity difference you seeing has something to do with your first assumption.
Also I suspect that your pupil size may have changed when you changed scopes.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I'm thinking you disperse light when you can - many lights use not only diffusers, but also reflectors to soften glare, and also make more effective use of what light is available. None of them make something that isn't already there. But some things prevent light from being absorbed right away so it appears that there is more. Gathering light isn't a bad term when it refers to focusing it - something a lense can do quite easily and obviously. It's a poor term when it is used to suggest that a certain lense or group of them is creating more somehow; when it's used deceptively - which I'll admit is probably true in some cases for advertising.

Does a magnifing glass "gather" light? It certainly focuses it enough to start a fire.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of you guys would make Bill Clinton proud trying to Parse an easily understood and commonly used term........................DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that depends on how commonly the word common is commonly used.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about others, but I'd be splitting some pretty fine hairs to be able to distinguish these three examples of the two words' definitions, "focus" and "gather":

1. to bring together into one group, collection, or place

2. to bring together or assemble from various places, sources

8. to concentrate

(from dictionary.com)

But while I don't especially like the term, in part I suppose because it does get used in a deceptive manner sometimes, it isn't really inaccurate either when used appropriately.

That said, I don't especially care much for high light "focusing" or "gathering" scopes as much as I appreciate scopes which are compact and fit more closely to the rifle. IOW, I don't do 50mm stuff - but have no problem with those who choose to.

I guess one question I have is, "Would it be more or less confusing to say that one scope focuses light better, while another focuses the image better?" (Better definition)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted By: Dew
It is my understanding that the 50 PASSES more light through the scope than a 40 does. No scope can "gather" light.

Wow! I've been off the site and I come back and find 14 pages. I think I will stick with my "PASSES" or transmits rather than "gather". I suspect the word gather has been used more lately to describe a change in the meaning that we we think. I offer the word Gay. It used to mean happy etc. Now we know that the meaning has been "changed" to replace homsexual or queer.
The photo of the tubes of two sizes show no gathering of light. just a "catching" of it as would a straignt tube only allow what is direct line with the opening. An example would be a rain guage which MUST be straight without a belled end. If it is belled it will pick up or gather more water than the tube will measure properly. I cannot see how you can "bend light" to go into the tube of a telescope if it is out of the alignment of the tube. It really is a slow day for this thread to have had this much time spent on it. Sorry about my spelling. I am using a laptop for the first time and my big fingers hit the wrong keys and on top of that I can't figure out how to use a spell check on this thing. Not to worry though, I have a new tower sitting in the box and the puter guy is coming tomorrow to fix me up. One last request.... The reply from Meade was nothing but square little boxes. Can someone tell me what it had to say? If you copy it and post to a thread I still just get the little boxes and that is all.
Dew

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dew
Originally Posted By: Dew
An example would be a rain guage which MUST be straight without a belled end. If it is belled it will pick up or gather more water than the tube will measure properly. Dew

You answered your own question didn't you. Most scopes aren't Straight at the objective end are they? It's rather queer that you didn't notice that. smile .........................DJ

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
DMB, first of all, during daylight, your eye's pupils won't be dialated to 4mm. That only occurs during twilight and the very brightest nights. During daylight, the eye's pupils are usually dialated to not more than 2mm's.
Second, the extra exit pupil size of the larger scope will allow the eye to "roam around" inside that larger exit pupil and that will allow the eye to see more detail. All of this is explained in Barsness's great book, "Optics for the Hunter."
I might add that as a practical matter, alot of other things come into play in this ability to see detail as well. So true comparisions with rifle scopes may be very difficult to find.
What Barsness points out in his book is that if you take two identical binoculars, differing only in magnification,, and compare them, the one with the lower magnification will resolve an image just a hair or so better than the one with more magnification. I presume that this applies to rifle scopes as well. E

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,139
Posts18,523,268
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.