Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pygmy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
My partner and I beginning to research an Alaska blacktail hunt, possibly in '05...

We've thought the idea of staying on a boat and going ashore daily to hunt sounds like fun, but we're flexible....Is this a good way to hunt..?? Is there usually good fishing involved too..??..

Where are the best places to hunt deer and when is the best time to go..??

Does anybody know any specific transporters or outfitters that they would recommend..??...

We have been leaning toward an unguided hunt, but as I say, we are flexible and might consider a guided hunt if the price was right...

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pgmy,

I have hunted blactails four times, all on Afognac Island Alaska. They are great to hunt and Afognac is truly a wild place. Heavy green timber as well as open grassy mountain tops, salmon and oh yes Kodiak bears. There are some abandonded military cabins on Afognac lake that can be made into a makeshift hunting camp..Andrews air out of Kodiak city will fly you in for a reasonable fee. Good hunting there too. David Lazer is a guide that really knows Afognac. He offers unguided and semi-guided hunts that may be a good idea for the first time (untill u get to know the bears..Ha Ha) Email me if you would like his number.

Lefty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at the web page for Alaska Coastal Marine. I've hunted with them and they are top-notch.

I'd go to Kodiak between mid-October and mid-November and pick one of the boat-based operations.

You can just show up with your pack and your gun...We caught and ate crab, caught saltwater kings, declined some tempting seaduck hunting, and got some nice bucks.

dave

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
DavidAk311
Is there any long term parking ..

10 to 20 days
So you dont lose anything while out hunting

Pottsy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is Diamond Parking Service in Anchorage near the airport. Try www.diamondparking.com and select Anchorage as the city.

I don't know how secure things would be in your vehicle, I believe they offer self storage options too.

I just leave my vehicle in long term storage at the airport..around 10 bucks a day, but I wouldn't leave anything valuable in it.

How's Coos Bay? I visited there a month or so ago...

dave

IC B2

Rob Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pygmy, whether we have a good winter is the key to when to come to AK to hunt blacktails. After the winter of 1998-99, hunting was pretty tough due to a winter dieoff, but the deer have come back pretty well since then. This fall whould be good as I understand that so far there hasn't been much snow on Kodiak this spring. Prince William Sound is another possible spot to hunt, but I am afraid the snow this year has hurt populations there this winter. So make your plans, but be prepared to put the hunt off if next winter turns out to be a tough one.

A boat based hunt can be great, but on the last one I took from Homer, we were stuck for 10 days by the weather trying to get back across Cook Inlet. The waves were only 15-20 feet when the boat was able to make the trip. Not sure what they would have been like during the 50-60 knot winds that had been blowing earlier, but I do know I wouldn't have wanted to take the chance. Think I would prefer a trip that either picked you up in Kodiak or one where you fly in and out to meet the boat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the best time last September with Johnny at Muskeg excursions, hunting goat, blacktail, and bear. We hunted the deer on "the island"..........Johnny told me never to be more specific.........HA! Check it out http://www.muskegexcursions.com/

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Deleted

Last edited by MartinPotts; 04/13/04.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,787
Posts18,536,312
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.