Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I took my scope outside today at high noon to "gather" some light. I capped the scope off at each end after I had "gathered" the light to save it inside the scope. I'll take it outside after dark and use the light that I "gathered" today. Should work if a scope can "gather" light

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jwp, That can't work, not unless you hang a butterfly net in front of the picture window. That way you'll be able to catch the light you've focused on it. Just be careful that you don't burn the house down. wink BTW, whatever you do, don't look backwards through a scope or you'll ruin it. Your eye will pull all the light through it backwards and really mess up the lenses. I hear it can even suck the coatings right off from them. grin grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dick wagging!!! whistle

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The curious thing I discovered is that, to get the same image "size" from the Leup as the 4X Zeiss, I had to turn the Leup to 6X.......I checked this is thoroughly as I could many times, and the 4X Zeiss was the equal in image size of the Leup set at 6X. So, something is not quite 4X here....I checked this as best I could by comparing field of view with the 4X; it was about the same as the Leup set at 6X. ( What the hell have I been shooting big game with for the past 30+ years,out to 500 yards.....a 4X?...or something less? )

Good point, thanks

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

I took my scope outside today at high noon to "gather" some light. I capped the scope off at each end after I had "gathered" the light to save it inside the scope. I'll take it outside after dark and use the light that I "gathered" today. Should work if a scope can "gather" light

While you were at it you should have also taken time to gather your thoughts. They have obviously leaked out or weren't properly gathered together in the first place. Or maybe you could gather some opinions though I'm not sure what you would hold them in.

Complete nonesense yes but so is your ridiculous parsing and misinterpetation of the word "gather"..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by djpaintless

Complete nonesense yes but so is your ridiculous parsing and misinterpetation of the word "gather"..............................DJ

Misinterpretation?

From Websters dictionary

1: to bring together : collect <tried to gather a crowd> <gathered firewood>
2 a: pick , harvest <gather flowers> b: to pick up or amass as if by harvesting <gathering ideas for the project> c: to scoop up or take up from a resting place <gathered the child up in his arms>

No misinterpretation here, only if I said that a scope "gathers" light would I be Misinterpreting the word

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jwp, You are trying to take one definition from many and have it mean only physical things. The word is obviously in common use to mean several other things such as the expression "gather may thoughts" etc.. You are smarter than this and are just being stubborn. Take a little time and let the truth set it and you'll see where you are wrong..............................DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dew
I offer the word Gay. It used to mean happy etc. Now we know that the meaning has been "changed" to replace homsexual or queer.

I feel that I must correct you here Dew.It is now politically incorrect to use the word "gay" to describe people with homosexual tendencies.Homosexually is considered normal in all the larger metropolitan areas today and the use of the word "gay" is highly discouraged as being disparaging of ones sexuality.
So when your out in public and some strapping young man with a purple mohawk and a stud in his lower lip is staring at you azz with that certain gleam in his eye.Just remember,its ok for him to do so.And lets try to be alittle more sensitive to those who are homosexually inclined.
Fudgepackers have feeling too.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
dave7mm,

As old as I am at 66, I doubt that ANYONE male or female is interested in my azz.

Dew wink

Last edited by Dew; 02/07/09. Reason: spelling

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

look through a S&B and it is very apparent that S&B knows what they are doing. Look through one built by Meade and the difference is very apparent. I'll go with S&B here since they know what they are doing and Meade, well just compared them

Again just for you from the S&B web site

It is impossible for any scope to "gather" light. It can only transmit existing light.

Surely you can grasp this..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by djpaintless
jwp, You are trying to take one definition from many and have it mean only physical things. The word is obviously in common use to mean several other things such as the expression "gather may thoughts" etc.. You are smarter than this and are just being stubborn. Take a little time and let the truth set it and you'll see where you are wrong..............................DJ

Exactly to "gather" ones thoughts is to "collect" ones thoughts. To gather implies more. To gather light there would be more in the scope than "naturally available and that is not the case. To "gather" berries there are more in the basket and less in the wild and this is certainly not the case when using an optic. Optics can only transmit the light available not "gather" (collect it) it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why has everyone gone ape over larger, i.e. 50mm, objective lens on scopes?

Compensating......

I prefer the 32, 33, & 40 mm.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
I too thought the "gather light" comment was interesting. According to the "authorities" at Leupold and other scope manuf., scopes don't go out and gather light. They only transmit light and you can't transmit something that isn't there. 40 mm objectives will transmit all the light the eye can handle, so about all you get with a 50 mm objective is, more weight, more bulk and more expense.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What one's eyes can handle is dependent on what they can handle. There are a few of us up in years that can use a 7mm exit pupil. I've seen my Leica 8X42 binocular quit on me while my 6X42 rifle scope still worked. Same thing with a 40mm rifle scope set on 8X. If it gets dark enough, and if it does, it has always been well after legal shooting hours, anything with a 5mm exit pupil quits. I've never seen the night time conditions where a scope w/ a 7mm exit pupil wouldn't work.
What happens, though, is one looses the ability to see as far as they can with more light. This is where the 50's have an edge. Because they can use more magnification with the same exit pupil size, they can allow one to see further. Assuming your eyes can do this, of course. Many when they reach their 40's and 50's can't use a 7mm exit pupil when a 5mm quits.
I'm not a fan of the big 50-56mm scopes. Their tendency to shift zreo when impacted and their well known tendency to break down from recoil make them undesirable to me. To say nothing of their weight issues.
On the other hand, I hunt with light 6 3/4 - 7.5 lb. rifles w/o a bipod. The guys that prefer 9-13 lb. rifles with a bipod might see this differently. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 02/08/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To gather implies more.

Absurd. What in the world makes you think that? How in the world can someone gather more than what's there?...................DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

look through a S&B and it is very apparent that S&B knows what they are doing. Look through one built by Meade and the difference is very apparent. I'll go with S&B here since they know what they are doing and Meade, well just compared them

Again just for you from the S&B web site

It is impossible for any scope to "gather" light. It can only transmit existing light.

Surely you can grasp this..

I can grasp that Schmidt und Bender and Leupold are wrong, the Encylopedia Britannica, Cornell University, Binocular manufacturers, manufacturers of astronomical telescopes and dozens of others are right.

I've taken the time to read S&B's statement, why don't you take the time to read a few of the other references that disagree with their conclusion. The Riflescope manufacturers are trying to make a point of it because one of their selling points is the % of Light Transmission. Other makers of telescopes use the term because it's the most commonly used and easiest to understand way to understand how a scope works...................DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Their tendency to shift zreo when impacted and their well known tendency to break down from recoil make them undesirable to me. E

Once again E chimes in with a well refuted and completely BS post. Some of the 50 and 56mm scopes are the toughest in the world, easily withstanding 50BMG recoil much less that of a sporting cartridge..................................DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The topic of which scope gathers - or collects- the most light seems silly when one considers that it is the light available at the entrance lense which ultimately governs the total light available to work with. Since a 50 mm lense will be more than 50% larger than a 40 mm lense in total area, as determined by simple math, it would seem obvious that a larger objective will provide, collect, allow to enter, gather - or whatever term makes sense- more light. Obviously a lot of things happen to somewhat reduce the quality of the light which actually reaches the eye. However, assuming that the glass and coatings on two different instruments affect the light in the same ways and to the same degrees, I would still place my money on the bigger objective providing more light overall. I think perhaps too much emphasis is placed on exit pupil size as the figure which allows light to pass (when maybe that actually affects "eyebox" more.) A lense or series of lenses can still focus the entire volume (minus glass and surface losses) of collected light into the same size area, regardless of objective lense size. If that is actually the case - and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, something I'd accept happily wink - then the larger objective will indeed provide, collect, allow to enter, gather - or whatever term makes sense- more light.

And I don't even care when it comes to scopes since I choose smaller for reasons other than light "gathering". crazy (But I do appreciate what the bigger lenses do for binoculars.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

From NASA:
http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/glossary/l.cfm

"light-gathering (light collecting) power

The ability of a telescope to collect light. Proportional to the area of the telescope's objective lense or mirror.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (22250rem, 3040Krag, 12344mag, 270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 348srfun, 50 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,131
Posts18,523,127
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.