Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rick300 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
With the ammo situation the way it is I'm thinking about it. I know absolutly nothing about it, but I've a good mechanical aptitude. I understand a good dial caliper is something one would need and that I have, everything else I would need to purchase. How much $ should one expect to spend to get started (40 s&w, 44 mag and 300 savage)? Can any one recommend a good book or video? Thanks... Rick

The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Speer reloading manual taught me nearly everything I know about it and I haven't blown anything up yet and make some pretty accurate stuff.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0054114216523a.shtml

As to cost I have no idea. I bought most of my stuff in about 1990.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Speer Manual. I've been starting to teach myself to reload, and it's the first book I got, explains the basics pretty good.
You can get a set up with press and everything you need to get started for <$400 (look at the kits MidwayUSA sells), less if you buy it used.

Last edited by ShootingLady; 02/08/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most any of the manuals give a pretty good rundown. If you have a certain brand of bullets you intend to use primarily I would get that manual to start with.

You should look at the different kits available and see what fits your budget. You will want a digital scale. If you do much for quantity you might also want to get a case polisher. With the 300 you will need something to trim cases, also for the .44 if you want them uniform in length for crimping purposes though not too m any worry about that.

I have a new copy of the last speer manual that was thrown in with an order from somewhere, a freebie. If you want it send me your address via PM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've learned alot by paying attention to certain guys who post in the reloading forum.

Speeds up the learning curve.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OK. here's my reloading primer (bad pun intended) :

Dillon Precision (see link below) makes some of the best reloaders around IMHO. With options, be ready to spend a good amount of money. Their progressive presses will crank out a lot of ammo once set-up. (Cost $400-over $1,000 depending on options).

If your need of quantity is modest, the least expensive you can get away with is the LEE Anniversary kit (link below). Inexpensive, single stage kit. You will have to handle each piece of brass several times (versus progressive), so the ammo will not be produced fast. Another downside is that the scale and powder feeder are pretty lame, so caution and patience are needed to produce consistent ammo. (Cost &70-$140)

Above are the two extremes in IMHO. Both RCBS (rock chuck bullet swags....always liked that) and LYMAN sell single stage and progressive kits that range from $200-$600 once again depending on options.

LINKS:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1090936060.1339=/html/catalog/anivers.html

As others have said, getting several good books or cds/DVD's for computer is always a good idea (i find myself cross referencing a lot). Speer, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady come to mind.

A few companies that you should check out/bookmark(no particular order) are: Cabela's, Natchez Shooters supply, Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, Brownell's.... just to name a few.

Other than that, gun magazines often have "pet load" type articles (Gun's & ammo, Handloader, etc.). Also, the 24HR is a great resource for info. For example, on the Savage collectors Forum, there are some good .300 Savage loads for you to check out.

The biggest thing you'll have to decide, is your budget and need for quantity of ammo/time. Basically, progressive or single stage. Also, most of the higher end presses will except "plates" with all the dies mounted, so you don't have to adjust 2,3 or 4 dies every time you want to change calibers.

Good luck whichever you choose. -Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is always a pile of reloading stuff on ebay. Pretty reasonable, too.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would start with a 10mm Glock... grin...

I started with an RCBS Master Kit, or something like that. It's everything you need except brass, dies, bullets and powder, which makes sense because those are the items that are specific to your situation.

I think I paid $200 on sale about 9 years ago. It's never given me any reason to wish I'd done otherwise.

I think the NEW RCBS kit costs a little more and has a nicer press than mine.

Reloading is highly addictive; you'll spend the same dough but shoot about 3x as much!

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/08/09.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I HIGHLY recommend "The ABC's of Reloading". It breaks down how and WHY you do things certain ways. I've been reloading for 2 years and I still refer to it once in a while. The reloading manuals have all of the information that you need-but sometimes are too detailed. This breaks it down and gives good perspective on things so they aren't overwhelming. Have fun and good luck!

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Abcs-Reloadin...mp;s=books&qid=1234139172&sr=8-1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you can buy the kit. I pieced my stuff together over time, mostly closeing stores and sales. With a kit you get almost everything you need/want from one manufacturer. The one extra you will find useful is a priming tool, I use the LEE. Dies are the other thing, they are not in kits. Powder, bullets, and primers are all in short supply. If you can find anyone who already loads, it helps to watch. It is a lot of fun besides saving some money.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Want to add, in my opinion a beginning loader should start with a single-stage press, in other words NOT a progressive...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I suggest starting w. a straight walled revolver cartridge and a single stage press. Makes it rewarding immediately cause they're hard to screw up. Lee stuff is cheap for someone starting out and figuring out what they like, it's also sufficiently durable to last a long time. A second nod to the "ABC's of Reloading." Get a bunch of manuals and books--don't worry if they're a few years or a decade out of date--and read 'em. Half.com is good for used books. You can spend from $100 up to get started. Also, if you can, watch someone who knows what they're doing take a cartridge from discharged case to new round. It's just good to see someone go through the steps. Enjoy. Nothing more fun than hunting w. your own rounds.

Ella

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Lee and a few dies will get you started for the least amount of money. look here

You'll notice that product is "back ordered". The bullets, primers and powder you will need will be "back ordered" as well.
It's a tough time to start, but worth it my opinion.

Be warned, if you think you will be saving money by reloading, you're going to be in for an awakening. It's about the same as buying a golf course to reduce your green fees. grin

Jeff
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
One free source of information is to make statements about reloading in the Reloading, General Big Game, or ask the Writers forum.

You'll learn quick doing that. grin

Jeff
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Go to Midway USA.com buy the RCBS Rockchucker supreme kit. get a good dial caliper,a case trimmer, and the cheapest case tumbler they have, useally they have a sale on Wheeler they are AS GOOD AS ANY OTHER TUMBLER The RCBS kit will come with a Speer loading manual, READ IT! you will want several other handloading manuals, every maker of handloading stuff, powder and bullets prints one. I would suggest the ABC's of Reloading it has been around a while and is VERY good genaric handlosding how to book.Figure it will cost around Five or six hundred by the time you get dies and shell holders ect. But look at it this way that is about what a half case of cheap factory loads will cost. I have been handloading for close to fifty years. The only time I buy factory ammo is when I buy a new firearm in a chambering I do not already have I will buy sixty or eighty rounds in several bullet wts, to test and set as benchmarks for my handloads. I also reuse the cases ten or more times usually so the factory stuff has seveal uses. My handload are much more accurate than the factory stuff as well.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Rockchucker supreme kit. That's what I bought this year and it's great. Add a caliper and case trimmer and you're good to go!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have to go with the Rockchucker. I have one that was handed down from a friend who has since passed on. It is as solid as the day he bought it. I use hand dies I made myself and have a Dillon too. Think I have five presses in all but the old Rockchucker is always the old standby. You can use it the rest of your life and then pass it on the the next generation.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Rick300 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks again, I learn so much here. You folks are great...

The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.