Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by rrroae
but I still think it's an idiotic rule to have to salute any officer under O-3, especially by a NCO.

Why don't we let an NCO answer this for us, and see what they have to say? When I was a junior officer, I considered it an honor when a Senior Enlisted man saluted me. No Officer worth his salt would be ANYTHING without the mentoring of their Senior Enlisted. And that is what you are clueless about. I can't help the ego. I'm very proud of what I've done. Sorry if that offends you. jorge

Check 2 posts above yours.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Respect, no matter the time in service, is a very important aspect of the military and the lack of it, will quickly undermine a fighting force.

And where's the respect for an E-7, E-8, E-9?

Somehow it's respect for them to have to salute some young punk fresh out of the academy who hasn't accomplished a single thing in the military?

Maybe some people who were enlisted didn't see as many young officers act like azzes but from when I was in and from talking to many other vets, it really wasn't that rare an occurrence seeing a young officer act like a total jackass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If THAT was his claim to fame, well he has issues. If he wouldn't have saluted me, he'd still be there....

Wouldn't surprise me if you were that big of a jackass.

Like I said, why don't we let a few of our Senior Enlisted present address this. Like for example, if they witnessed a junior enlisted purposely fail to salute an officer. Because that is EXACTLY what would happen. It would be one of them and not me that would correct the problem. But keep writing, your buffoonery on this topic's amusing. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got it and thanks for your perspective.

rroae; Junior Officers are just that, "junior" and inexperienced and their lack of knowledge can show, just like yours is now, and those that acted unfairly of without respect to their men would be dealt with as well. jorge

Last edited by jorgeI; 02/08/09.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Officer worth his salt would be ANYTHING without the mentoring of their Senior Enlisted. And that is what you are clueless about.

What your clueless about is the rift between officers and enlisted when it comes to being forced to a salute O-1's and O-2's when they haven't accomplished a dam thing.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No Officer worth his salt would be ANYTHING without the mentoring of their Senior Enlisted. And that is what you are clueless about.

What your clueless about is the rift between officers and enlisted when it comes to being forced to a salute O-1's and O-2's when they haven't accomplished a dam thing.

Wrong again, batting 1000 on this thread...jorge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You must have a been a joy to have in the unit.

Last edited by Pugs; 02/08/09. Reason: fix quote

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sort of like your perspective on enlistees.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Respect, no matter the time in service, is a very important aspect of the military and the lack of it, will quickly undermine a fighting force.

And where's the respect for an E-7, E-8, E-9?

Somehow it's respect for them to have to salute some young punk fresh out of the academy who hasn't accomplished a single thing in the military?

Maybe some people who were enlisted didn't see as many young officers act like azzes but from when I was in and from talking to many other vets, it really wasn't that rare an occurrence seeing a young officer act like a total jackass.

I've probably had more 1 on 1 dealings with officers than most enlisted here. As a Photo/Target Intel analyst, I briefed and debriefed hundreds of pilots/WSO's over my time. I've seen pilots and WSO's I respected a lot, while others bordered on educated idiots or egotistical SOB's. You haven't seen the dark side of an officer's ego until you as an E-4 have to tell and show them how they missed a target or shot the wrong target or worst of all turned the camera on when they took off and ran out of film before they reached the target.

The fact remains, I find saluting an important aspect of military heritage and not something that was insulting.

As to E-7's and above, they don't need your salute to be respected.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs

You must have a been a joy to have in the unit.

I never even worked with my branch of service until my 4th year in let alone my unit.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You haven't seen the dark side of an officer's ego until you as an E-4 have to tell and show them how they missed a target or shot the wrong target or worst of all turned the camera on when they took off and ran out of film before they reached the target.

The fact remains, I find saluting an important aspect of military heritage and not something that was insulting.

Or when an 0-3 tells an 0-5 he's wrong or an 0-5 to an 0-6 or above or an E-4 to an E-7, etc, That "dark side" is not rank dependent, and those who show a "dark side" when told they are wrong, respectfully of course, are poor leaders, regardless of rank. jorge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And for the original topic of this thread, I believe it was Ronald Reagan who started the modern salute of the sentries at Marine and USAF one. I couldn't care less if it continues or if Obama salutes or not.

He clearly is not going to be good for the military although it may well take five+ years for it to show how much of a disservice he truly does in hurting the long term readiness. Think the military of 1979. Good people wanting to do their best with substandard equipment and no money to train.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You haven't seen the dark side of an officer's ego until you as an E-4 have to tell and show them how they missed a target or shot the wrong target or worst of all turned the camera on when they took off and ran out of film before they reached the target.

Or when an 0-3 tells an 0-5 he's wrong or an 0-5 to an 0-6 or above or an E-4 to an E-7, etc, That "dark side" is not rank dependent, and those who show a "dark side" when told they are wrong, respectfully of course, are poor leaders, regardless of rank. jorge

Agree, just making the point that if good/bad encounters with officers were to make one not want to salute, I have seen it all. Doesn't change my opinion.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
This post has totally gone farter than I could have imagined! Run with it, and get the story straight. I only KNOW what was drilled into my head at the Accademy. You,all have at it, Ill go with what I was taught at the accodamy for 8 weeks. Intersting reads anyway!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've probably had more 1 on 1 dealings with officers than most enlisted here. As a Photo/Target Intel analyst, I briefed and debriefed hundreds of pilots/WSO's over my time. I've seen pilots and WSO's I respected a lot, while others bordered on educated idiots or egotistical SOB's. You haven't seen the dark side of an officer's ego until you as an E-4 have to tell and show them how they missed a target or shot the wrong target or worst of all turned the camera on when they took off and ran out of film before they reached the target.

lol

Then we're in the same boat(different MOS).

I remember working live threat and we had a Naval O-2. Guy was a mess and had to watch these silly videos of a clown juggling balls to help relieve his stress(while were doing live threat analysis - it really was comical)).

One of our NCO's picked out a high priority target that was relayed to our European Command(believe it was Gen Ryan at the time). Couple days later we were visited by some high profile brass and our distinguished O-2 went on to tell them how he found the target neglecting to mention the fact he didn't do a dam thing. Saw this type of bs quite often.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hopefully they will give him the same disrespect before he is out of office! I would love to see the detail give him the middle finger and say "Marx sucks and you too" every time there was the opportunity.

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
rrroae, first I have to point out Jorge didn't identify himself as a Mustang. As I already expected he never wore his enlisted time on his sleeve. I agree some of the very best officers came from enlisted ranks but not only from there. The best not only earn respect they give it back too. You still respect the uniform even if not the pserson in it.

Why does an E-8 salute an O-1? Because military tradition and regulations say to. If you don't like the rules we shouldn't have enlisted is what they told us in basic training. I'm a retired E-8. I never had a problem saluting. Then again while I'm not huggable I'd say most of the officers I served with respected me or at least the job I did.

We salute for the same reason the Navy and Air Force personel learn to march. It builds structure, military bearing, disipline. It's a part of the military.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have been ASSIGNED to FIGHTER SQUADRONS Where second LTs. Would come out of a air conditioned cars or van to do a pre- flight of a $50 MILLION fighter F-15 A,B,C,or D. aircraft,I have had to explain to jr. piloys about going armed, with the weapons system of a 50 million $ aircraft. Not sure where, they got their previous training. I think TYNDAL AFB! I was glad to give my expertise and assist the pilot in any way,or form to accomplish his mission. I HOPE AFTER YEARS OF LEAVING THE AF that SOME have learned from that experience, and moved on to do great things, in their life.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I respected most of the Lt. and WO pilots in my Assault Helicopter Co. more than I did most of the drunken, under-educated, E-6 and E-7 lifers in the same company in Vietnam. Saluting is a greeting between soldiers as well as a show of respect for rank. Respect or affection for the individual should have nothing to do with who is saluted.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
rrroae, first I have to point out Jorge didn't identify himself as a Mustang. As I already expected he never wore his enlisted time on his sleeve. I agree some of the very best officers came from enlisted ranks but not only from there. The best not only earn respect they give it back too. You still respect the uniform even if not the pserson in it.

Why does an E-8 salute an O-1? Because military tradition and regulations say to. If you don't like the rules we shouldn't have enlisted is what they told us in basic training. I'm a retired E-8. I never had a problem saluting. Then again while I'm not huggable I'd say most of the officers I served with respected me or at least the job I did.

We salute for the same reason the Navy and Air Force personel learn to march. It builds structure, military bearing, disipline. It's a part of the military.

Good example.

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.