-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MA like the cartridge choice alot. Savage ain't a bad choice for the bones but I think you could get into a Remington M700 for the same cash. I'd look at Gunbroker and AuctionArms for a used M700 in 06. I just sold a SS M700 30-06 to my nephew for $450. I had trued the action, tuned the trigger, and gave him a set of Redfield mounts. It shot several of my handloads into less than 3/4". Now is a good time to buy...............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

M
OP Offline
M
Any thoughts on the Smith & Wesson I-bolt? Other than the bolt hickup they have now is it a good rifle or is the bolt issue a big deal?

M
OP Offline
M
Crimson, thanks....as a matter of fact just before I logged on tonight I had dinner at my dads and read a review in an issue of Rifleman. Great review and looks like a great choice and a great price and received a Marlin catalog in the mail Friday but had not looked thinking it was a lever catalog. I am going to try to get my hands on one to get a feel this week along with the Weatherby.

Now almost sorry I posed this question here (kidding).... I now have way to many good choices at great pricing ......

Last edited by MAhunter; 02/08/09.
L
LC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I would give another nod to the Marlin XL7. Bought one in 30-06 for $279 at Academy. Shot under 1" out of the box with factory ammo. Decent looking gun, but not something I will worry too much about if it gets a scratch or two.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hey MAh,FINALLY got a chance to check your thread out. Two things that I like what you've said so far are .30-06 and "gun feels nice"(about the Savage). Try and shoot and/or handle as many different brands and models within those brands as you can. You'll find THE ONE. And then you can be overwhelmed by scope choices. LOL

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man there sure are a ton of good choices now days for a good out of the box '06 in your price range. All have had good suggestions. I hunted with one of the $399 Vanguards in '06 this year infact. Shot under a inch with Federal factory loads (165gr gamekings) and killed two deer. The savages are great rifles, but I feel now the market has caught up with them and you can find a just as good rifle for a little less money now days. In particular the Marlin XL7, now offered in short actions as well. They have a savage like adjustable trigger, most reviews have them shooting well under 1moa with factory loads, its lighter than the vanguard, and cheaper. Most places have them for under $300. One thing I will say for the Vanguard, it being a little heavier helped with the recoil, it felt like shooting a 308 to me. But if you'll be carrying it all day, the lighter weight Marlin might appeal to you.

With your budget I'd be after a Marlin XL7 in either of your caliber choices, a Burris FullField II 3x9x40 and money left over for Leupold bases and rings and some ammo.

Your guide seems to think you'll have to deal with the possibility of either close up shots or a bit longer... That would make me want to get a variable and the Burris fits in your budget and you can probably find one of their package deals that comes with either a spotting scope or binoculars. I'd try a few different 180gr loads, find the one that shoots best and go get that elk!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Look at the Marlin XL7 in 30.06. Found it for $289. Its a shooter and won't break the bank. I highly recommend a look as this gun is worth the price.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

If looking for new I'd see if the Steven 200 in 30-06 works for you. Not sure where you are in Mass, but if you head over to the Kittery Trading Post they a a great selection of used rifles, some 30-06 in good shape for $300. They have NIB Stevens and Savage Rifles as well.

If you're on the east end of Mass, take a day and head over. You can also search their USED inventory at www.ktpguns.com

If you are going over on a weekend, get there when they open, or you'll spend a few hours waiting for someone to help you once mid day hits.

Good luck.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MAhunter: I spend a lot of time in the greater Boston area,because that is where I work.I also belong to the best gun club in the area,and we have facilities out to 600 yards. I don't know where you are in Mass,but if you PM me,I will make arrangements to take you to the club,and you can shoot my 30/06 and let me know what you think.......

As payment for these services, you will have to listen to my BS grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all i will say is this, remington 700 at wal mart. about 400 dollars. great rifle, cheap ammo, and it shot pretty well. 1" at 100 yards.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
IC B3

M
OP Offline
M
NHHunter (Mike), Thanks, I know Kittery very well. Just purchased a winchester 94 30/30 and a Marlin 336 35 there. (just like levers) I think I am going to buy new for this 30/06 purchase. The marlin is looking great at $299.... the gun shop up the street (four seasons guns, Woburn ma) can get me one in walnut for not to much more. This forum and thread has been great and informative and has helped beyond expectations. 99.99% sure I am going with 30 06. going to take a look at and hold some more of the rifles suggested here before I purchase. This will be my do everying bolt so I want to make it a good choice. Wish walmart in mA sold guns. there are only 3 New Hampshire walmart stores that sell guns now. And I called them all today. I was at Rileys in Hookset NH and looked at the new I bolt by smith. Nice gun also

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Yes, my local Wally World stopped selling guns about a year ago. I've never handled the Marlin bolt gun, but handled one of the Mossberg bolts and wouldn't consider one of the those as it felt like a brick to me.

Didn't know if you noticed Bob's post, but you should take him up on his offer to meet at his range. He may also be able to tell you what's at Riley's today as I think he's there quite a bit smile

Good luck.

Mike.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mah, when I shopped for my 30-06 last year, I looked closely at the brands that the guys have been talking about. Weatherby Vanguard, Savage, Tikka T-3 Lite, and a couple of others. The Marlin's were not out yet, so I did not look at one. I bought the Tikka T-3 and I'm not looking back, but I would not have been disappointed if I had waited and saw the Marlin. It is really inexpensive for a nice rifle. The reason I went to the Tikka, is because of the suggestions on the Campfire and because the dealer gave me a great trade-in offer on the M700 that I wanted to rid myself of. Also the scope base is part of the receiver, so you eliminate the mounting base. Just buy a good set of steel rings and you are set.
I took the Tikka to the range, opened the box and put the first three rounds in a 1-3/4" group at 100 yds. No tweaking. Just out of the box. Any one of the rifles suggested here will make you happy. Just find one that fits you and appeals to you. We have great choices in 30-06 rifles nowdays. The caliber will do almost anything you want in North America. Next you can start a thread to pick apart the bullets. lol. Good luck on your choice.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

Didn't know if you noticed Bob's post, but you should take him up on his offer to meet at his range. He may also be able to tell you what's at Riley's today as I think he's there quite a bit smile

Mike.

Mike: I was there yesterday.....there was a new SC M70 Fw in 30/06....the newer version without the fancy floorplate.Very nice!I have been shooting my SC 270 a bit and I am very fond of it; the thing is push button, out of the box.....pretty cool rifle and the thing I like about it is....you don't have to do much to it.Groups with Fed Fusion are staying under an inch for 3 shots.......

M
OP Offline
M
NH hunter, Thanks....I sent along a PM to Bob. Bob, if you didn't get it let me know. New here and flying by brail when figuring out the forum tools.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Bob,

I'm glad the new M70's working out for you. It's been a few days now, have you picked up the 30-06 yet? smile

I don't get down by Riley's much anymore. I will be going by that way twice next week, on the way to and from the airport and would love to stop in, but it'll be to early in the a.m. Monday and to late on Friday when I get back. Guess I'll just need to find time over the weekend here soon enough. They always have more interesting stuff than most of the shops up in my neck of the woods.

Hope all is well.

Mike.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marlin XL-7, or Savage with accutrigger, The Vangaurd is a good rifle but often needs a replacement trigger or at least trigger work. The Marlin and Savage have very good triggers.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

Bob,

I'm glad the new M70's working out for you. It's been a few days now, have you picked up the 30-06 yet?

Mike: No.Having too much fun with the 270;but the 06 is nice ,too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
MAhunter: I spend a lot of time in the greater Boston area,because that is where I work.I also belong to the best gun club in the area,and we have facilities out to 600 yards. I don't know where you are in Mass,but if you PM me,I will make arrangements to take you to the club,and you can shoot my 30/06 and let me know what you think.......

As payment for these services, you will have to listen to my BS grin

Bob, you may be a scholar but I know you are a gentleman! grin I regret there are many on the 'fire that time and opportunity will not allow me to meet and enjoy. You, sir, are one of those. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Goodnews: Likewise! And that is a very nice thing to say; I appreciate that,and if you should find yourself in the Boston area, let me know cause I will take you to the range,too!And likely out to dinner! wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/16/09.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (1minute, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 338reddog, 45_100, 23 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.