Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
i am lookin for something cheeper to shoot then a 9 and 45... heard tons about the rugers and the brownings and that ya cant beat em. what about the sig mosquito sport (5 inch barrel version) tho? just lookin for decent accuracy but great reliability with regular walmart bulk 22s? they able to compete with ruger and browning?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mosquitos are scaled down Sig 226's form factor. Mosquito has a safety and takedown is not slide off the front but removes by pulling back.

I have a Mosquito with 10,000 rounds through, has gained accuracy in my experience.

Ammo of choice is Remington Yellow Jacket bulk cartons 38gr copper coated. DO NOT USE Remington Thunderbolts, the bullets are not coated and tend to melt in the barrel (but it keeps functioning and remains accurate, but a real PITA to clean the lead out). I have not tried any CCI mini-mags or like ammo, but have heard good feedback on using these.

The Sport version has a 1" longer barrel for improved accuracy. Shoots about the same accuracy as the standard Mosquito with a longer sight radius.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I love my mosquito

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I must have gotten a bad one. I really liked the ergonomics of the grips, etc. Did not like the way the front sight just sort of popped in from below. But I tried a few different brands of ammo and had too many jams for me. Took it back and got my money back. Just my experience,
Gary

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have never had a mosquito, but have heard varying opinions. I ahve a couple browning buckmarks, and they are fantastic. Recommend them to anyone looking for a 22

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Put the weaker spring in the mosquito, I believe it is white. Shoot the high velocity CCI jacketed hollowpoints. It should do fine. The gun was actually designed for that ammo.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
plannin on going with the browning- anyone prefer the ruger over the browning for any reasons tho?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Browning is a nice light pistol, digest just about any ammo.

Tactical Solutions makes replacement and threaded barrels for both Browning and Rugers.

smile

The Sig Mosquito gets the most rounds down range with my boys. They just like it, a lot.

Have fun.

C
C
...Bought the spousal unit a pretty pink 'skeeter about a month ago.. She LOVES it!

I'm playing hookey from work and headed to the range Tuesday to give it a proper workout. She tends to shoot about 3" low and 3" to the left with it, so I want to see if it's her, the sights, or the ammo that needs to be adjusted.

Given my druthers, I'd like to see the trigger pull lightened up, and more metal than plastic, and it's kind of a Barbie-gun...but hey, it's <PINK> and the ladies LOVE IT!

Gotta go, see ya at the range!

Cow_54

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A friend has one. It is just like a scaled down 226. That is cool, but where the positives end for me.

The thing has a poor trigger, is inaccurate, and jams all the time. It may look cool, but I would go with a Ruger or Browning for function. Sorry

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sig is now offering the 226 in .22 LR. It's shown on their website. They also offer .22 conversion kits for several of their auto's.

Regards,
Ron

USASA 1965/69
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I've had 2 Walther P-22 pistols, a short and a longer barrel model, I liked the smaller version better, and both pistols shot very accurately. I just fell in love with the looks and size of this little pistol.

So, if I were to purchase "another" .22 pistol, considering one like the "Sig Mosquito", I would instead purchase another Walther P-22.

BUT, if I were to purchase a .22 pistol for all the GOOD & SERIOUS reasons ... I would certainly buy a Browning Benchmark, or a Ruger Mk. III type pistol.

I'm sure the Browning IS a great pistol - but I am sold on the Ruger Mk. III, all the way.

C
C
Spent the day at the range Tuesday primarily to test out the wife's new pink Mosquito..

This was the 3rd time firing it since new, and it DID show some behaviorial problems earlier.

However, on this trip (spanky clean & nicely lubed), it did remarkably well! Ate 100 mini-mags for an appetizer without burping, then we tried some Aguila superhypergoshdarnfast-max which it didn't care for, tried some Wincheezers from the 333 pack..didn't like those either, so I tried some Federal HP's from the 550 Wally-pak, and to my happy surprise, it gobbled up most of the 550 box!!!

By the end, it was getting dirty and caught a stovepipe of two, but all in all it was doing really really well.

We're still breaking it in / getting acquainted with / learning the little quirks of this thing, but am very relieved to find some bulk ammo (read: cheap) that it has no problems with.

The Federal 550 pack worked very well, but not as accurate as the Federal Champion 525 pack rounds with which I can chew out the center spot of the target with my ol' trail gun with nary a flyer (but did not bring this day as my supply was getting low), and was using as a control for the 'skeeter test.

Next time, we'll try the Fed Champions to see if the mosquito likes those and see if the groups tighten up.

The 'skeeter is tons of fun, but so far only about tin-can accurate with either mini-mags or bulk wally-ammo, but that being said, I <did> have an ear-to-ear grin shooting the lil' bugger!!!

BTW, the wife totally LOVES this gun... I am SO relieved to find that it does not have an on-going attitude problem!! smile

COW_54

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Use the Remington bulk green/yellow box 38gr copper coated HP's, cycles fine with these.
Mosquito gets more accurate with use. As with all Sigs, they like to be well lubed!

Have fun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you can shoot a Sig Mosquito well you can shoot anything.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Practice, practice, and more practice.
Have 12,000 rounds through one Mosquito, keeps getting better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 21, 50 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.