Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was watching Eastmans on the tube tonight, watched a guy take an elk at 380 yards. I would rather get a bit closer than that, but I was just wondering if a 30-06 with factory ammo say 165-180 gr would still have enough energy at 380 yards to take an elk?

Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where do you plan to hit it? Yes a 06 will kill an ek at that range, And yes it can wound an elk at that range.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just wondering if the caliber had the energy for that shot?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Not an elk, obviously, but at 399 yards- by GPS after the shot- this moose did not survive his encounter with a 190 Hornady BTSP, a load you can buy I believe, though I handload for hunting. He also didn't stop the bullet which traversed his chest before exitting forward the opposite hip. I won't tell you whether you should shoot at elk that far, but the cartridge is not the weak link in the question.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LeosRedFox got it right in a nutshell. I will expand on his comments.

I agree that if you punch a hole through their lungs, they're going to die. A 30-06 using Fereral Premium HE 180 grain Nosler Partitions will kill an elk at 400 yards. I know because I've done it. But not very often and it's certainly not the optimum situation. I would not recommend trying to shoot big game at that range unless the conditions are perfect, you have a perfect rifle rest and lots of time to make a clean, careful shot. So yes, it has the impact energy. But it's not recommended because there's a very high probability that you might wound the animal and not make a clean, quick kill.

I gather from your comment "I would rather get closer than that", you already knew much of what I have just written. It's still good to add caution to comments when who knows what rookie may be reading this open forum and get the wrong idea.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I appreciate everyone's concerns, it isn't my intention to go out and take a shot beyond my capabilities, I assure you it was just a question on ballistics pertaining to a 30-06, not looking to go out and emulate the Best of The West gang...really.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the question is a good, and fair, one. Certainly a shot that will break shoulders demands significantly more energy than a broadside lung shot.
Personally I would rather hit them "to hard" and kill them twice as dead :), than risk a wound, utilizing the variables over which I have control.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Barkoff, I guess the question then becomes how much energy is enough energy for elk?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barkoff, in my opinion, yes.

That doesn't make it the best reasonable choice for 400-yard elk killing- that would be the .338 WM- nor does it mean that most people have much bidness shooting that far at an elk, but simply put, yes a 30-06 will kill an elk at 400 yards.

How could it NOT, assuming (big assumption) proper bullet placement?? Heck, it'll kill them even with very poor bullet placement... it'll just be days later, and miles away.

I don't want to get sucked into some sort of war here so I'll try and be brief and then scoot. In my opinion, the question isn't so much what will kill an elk at XXX yards, it's what will give you the best reasonable chance of killing the elk and recovering it. Elk can be tenacious as HELL. I've not seen either of my mere two elk show that, they both went down pretty fast... but a couple elk shot by my friends, that I helped with, were incredibly resiliant after being pretty well-hit. An elk running a few hundred yards can be a real problem. A lot can go wrong in elk country to mess up the recovery of an elk that goes a long ways. Snow coming in cost my friend Jerry an elk with a good blood trail, for example.

So... since I do practice out to 400 and beyond, I use rifles/cartridges/bullets that I feel will put the whip to an elk at those ranges, and they are bigger than a 30-06.

But if I had to, I'd load up my 30-06 and go elk huntin'- which is exactly what I DID do for several years. But I wouldn't be under the illusion that I had the BEST reasonable choice for hammering one at 400 yards.

All just in my humble opinion.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Energy doesn't kill critters. Hitting them in the right spot does.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
By the way, standing by for flames.....

This should liven things up a bit.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Just wondering if the caliber had the energy for that shot?

Absolutlely! Anything else.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SEE BELOW

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeosRedFox
Where do you plan to hit it? Yes a 06 will kill an ek at that range, And yes it can wound an elk at that range.

Well the facts are you could wound an elk at that range with a 378 Weatherby. Know your gun and know your ability.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 02/11/09.

NRA Lifetime Member
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by LeosRedFox

Well the facts are you could wound an elk at that range with a 378 Weatherby. Know your gun and know your ability.

Exactly...

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I appreciate everyone's concerns, it isn't my intention to go out and take a shot beyond my capabilities, I assure you it was just a question on ballistics pertaining to a 30-06, not looking to go out and emulate the Best of The West gang...really.

Yes, an 06 has plenty of remaining energy to kill an elk at 400 yds. Most modern bottleneck cartridges do. But the secret is enough bullet.........

I've killed enough elk at longish range with 06 class cartridges with both conventional and premium bullets to think at longer ranges, regular jacketed bullets often open up less than they would at closer ranges, and consequently will penetrate further than one would expect.

I guess you could say the test of a cartridge is longer ranges, the true test of a bullet is point blank range........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by taz4570
Energy doesn't kill critters. Hitting them in the right spot does.

It ain't what you shoot 'em with, it's where you shoot 'em. wink

Like JB says, "Shoot them in the front half".....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

Not an elk, obviously, but at 399 yards- by GPS after the shot- this moose did not survive his encounter with a 190 Hornady BTSP, a load you can buy I believe, though I handload for hunting. He also didn't stop the bullet which traversed his chest before exitting forward the opposite hip. I won't tell you whether you should shoot at elk that far, but the cartridge is not the weak link in the question.

This picture makes me hungry.

Travis

A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The last bull elk that I shot was at 465 yard measured by laser. I shot it with a 30-06 using a 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips. I aim to high and hit it in the spine over the shoulders -- it did not move.

In 1985, I killed a 3 x 3 off of Decker flats (next to Yellowstone Park) hitting it 3 out of 4 shots off hand with a 270 using 130 grain factory ammo. I aimed approximately 3 feet above the back. I found 3 bullets holes in a 6 inch group behind the front shoulders. It died within 50 Yards of Yellowstone.

Both of these elk were on the run.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think your'e better off with the 30x06 you can shoot, than any so called magnum.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,443
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.