Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hobby? What hobby.

I am on a quest. Holy grail? Smoly Pail - I search for the ultimate all purpose rifle - I call it the Utility Rifle.
The rifle to end all rifle dicussions. Chambered in the cartridge to end all cartridge discussions, shooting the bullet to end all bullet discussions - the Barnes TSX.

How about that? Hobby. Right.

As for 300 WSM/300 Weatherby - man, its the same bulletts just couple fps faster. Really, get your self some itch to scratch.

Last edited by cmg; 02/11/09. Reason: spelling...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Brian, you know your gonna get tha vanguard for $399. I'm sure I know the store you are talking about. I'm with the group that says keep the WSM & buy the 300 WBY. (if you can swing it)

If you find that you have completely fallen out of love with the WSM after shooting/hunting the wby then sell it.

You know I like my 300 WBY, of course mine might weigh a bit more than the vanguard� not sure, it would be close though. Vanguard has a lot of rise as well being a weatherby stock. I�m not sure that that does for recoil.

But I�ve handled your 300 WSM & I�ve handled the long action vanguards as well, I�d be willing to bet the vanguard is heavier than your 700. I don�t think recoil is going to be noticeable between the two.

Originally Posted by Brad

I can't fathom shooting MN deer in the woods with a 300 Wby, but that's just me.

Oh it works just fine, trust me grin

and yes of course so does the .308, I switch around quite a bit deer hunting in
MN, everything from .243 to 450 marlin. depending on how frustrated i am with the brown timber goats grin

.308 kills em, but the 300 WBY really, really kills em grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i just thought of something Brian. do it! trade that 300 wsm now!! get the WBY!! (then you'll buy the dies & start loading, you could load some for me while you are at it grin )

Something clever here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Best reason I can think of to get the 300 Weatherby is that John Wayne, Elgin Gates,and Chuck Yager did not use a 300 WSM laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The WBY wins HANDS DOWN every time for cool factor, no doubt about that.

Bob, I'm just going to lie in the weeds until you're ready to unload one of yours before I get a 300WBY....<grin>

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Skane:Only have one 300 mag; the Weatherby. Think I will hang onto it smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I can't fathom shooting MN deer in the woods with a 300 Wby, but that's just me.

MN, everything from .243 to 450 marlin. depending on how frustrated i am with the brown timber goats grin

Dave, you wouldn't be referring to the great buck of 2005? The one that tried to outrun the mighty 300 wby and cartwheeled abruptly to his death? I keep thinking about that episode and that really makes me want a 300 wby of my own.
The truth is I really don't know that either 300 will get much use after getting my dream gun the 257 wby!! Especially now that I know it will shoot decent. I have a Timney trigger on it's way for it too.

Last edited by backwoodsbrian; 02/11/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, you need to get another one.....*L*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i just thought of something Brian. do it! trade that 300 wsm now!! get the WBY!! (then you'll buy the dies & start loading, you could load some for me while you are at it grin )

Dave, Two steps ahead of you. Bulk brass gets alot cheaper when you divide by two grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does your WSM hold a good group? Seems to me that any rifle that shoots 3/4 inch or better groups should never be traded. 1 to 1.25 rifles are tolerable unless the are heavy varmint rigs. Anything over should be traded to those less particular.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Brian, my advice would be get to one of the vanguards as they are not that much money. Keep your WSM, put it up for a while and shoot your new 300 Weatherby vanguard. If you ever want to shoot something a little "less" you have your WSM. Then you could pick up one of the Conquest demo scopes that Cameraland offers or a new Leup. 2 x 7 VXII and your not into a huge rifle investment. Me I like the fat shoulder on the WSM, I size my brass just so that the my Kimber bolt closes and shoot a mild load of RL19 with 180 grain Hornady's, its my short action 30-06 improved, the brass lasts forever and it kills everything I point it at grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bachwoods,

If you thought that you would find a consensus to not buy a rifle you have came to the wrong place.

And if you get rid of the 300 WSM and replace it with a 300 Wea you will leave yourself with a unbelievable gap in your hunting rifle battery therefore you should part with the WSM and get a 7mm Wea and the 300 Wea then you will be able to get by for a year or two before you will need (and I do mean "need") to fill part of the gaps that are left.

Just buy a bigger safe and then fill it. I am sure it is the right way to go as I and many other here are operating with this theory and we are doing fine.

What ever you do please do not try and bring logic to the table. If logic enters your mind try to hide it at the board as it is a violation of the rules.

just another loony

8mmwapiti

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jimmyp,

whats your load for that "30-06 Improved" with the Hornady bullet?

Good points. 8mm too.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by backwoodsbrian

Dave, you wouldn't be referring to the great buck of 2005? The one that tried to outrun the mighty 300 wby and cartwheeled abruptly to his death? I keep thinking about that episode and that really makes me want a 300 wby of my own.

Yeah old lawn darts is the one I was thinking of, I think that was 2005. he's the one that flipped straight over backwards & landed on his rack forcing the points of his 8 point rack into the dirt like lawn darts dropped from a helicopter grin

I found him on the scene of his dirt nap laying on his back with all 4's in the air & his rack jammed hard into the dirt. grabbed him by the snout for leverage to pull his rack out of the dirt.

my best bang flop ever!

freaking awesome!! grin

there's dead, then there's 300WBY dead.

when you say "dead is dead" it's like saying an orgasm is an orgasm...

Some are better no?

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1
Get the .300 Wby, don't look back. Greatest .300 out there.

I agree completely. Our opinions match on what is the greatest .300.

Originally Posted by GF1
The WSMs are an oxymoron - if you want magnum performance, get a real one.

I disagree completely.

If you want magnum performance without the "extra" offered by a 300 Win mag or 300 Weatherby mag, then get a 300 WSM.

Where is the cut-off for real magnums? 300 Wby Mag? 300 Win Mag? 7mm Rem Mag? 7mm Wby Mag? 270 Wby mag? 257 Wby mag? 222 Rem Mag?

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/11/09.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I said in an earlier post to keep the WSM and buy the Wby. I still stand behind that. However you can always step it.......meaning get the rifle and then then scope it with a great deal from the classifieds here. But.........if you are like me waiting can sometimes be way too hard!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go for it.....but I would try a few shots first if you can.....they aren't "easy" on the shoulder.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rich has the plan, get the 300 Vanguard and keep the WSM.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The short magnum business really is an oxymoron. The point of shorter cartridges in a hunting rifle is making up a lighter and handier rifle via a shorter action wedded to a lighter barrel. The short magnums really need a longer barrel, and the rifles need to weigh 8 1/2# or more to accomodate the barrel length, as well as recoil.

A short action matched with a light short rifle fit; the short magnums simply don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GF1
The short magnum business really is an oxymoron. The point of shorter cartridges in a hunting rifle is making up a lighter and handier rifle via a shorter action wedded to a lighter barrel. The short magnums really need a longer barrel, and the rifles need to weigh 8 1/2# or more to accomodate the barrel length, as well as recoil.

A short action matched with a light short rifle fit; the short magnums simply don't.

I beg to differ... my Kimber MT weighs under 7lbs 3oz's ready to rock and doesn't kick that much. But the stock design is tops and the action is specifically designed around the cartridge. Because the action is fairly small, even with a 24" barrel it's the equivalent OAL of a long action M70 with a 22.75" barrel. It's a match that works well...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.