Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I just finished my 404 Jefferys. It is built on a full size Magnum Mauser action (Vector from Searcy), has a quarter rib with a Wisner screw adjustment shallow V adjustable rear sight inserter in the quarter rib (super neat)...barrel band swivel, barrel band front sight with 3/32 bead. drop box, 25" Lothar Walthar barrel, beautiful Russian Circassian walnut from Bill Dowtins Old World Walnut. checkered 26 LPI with mullered borders, black recoil pad (may leather cover it). Engraved and antiqued grey cross bolts.

I have been wanting to build the ultimate 404 for some years and that really requires a full magnum action according to some and I think that may be right after building a number of them on std. actions, and never quite satisfied..but then several folks have said it should have been a 505 with that action, oh well, maybe at some point I will make it a switch barrel 50 cal on the 404 case or something like that.

My camera went South, bad battery and no battery in Idaho, of course, so Sears ordered me one that will be here in about a week. I can send pictures to interested parties..I don't know if I will sell it or keep it. Thats something I never know! smile

I am the ultimate 404 Jefferys fan, mostly nostalgia, I admit.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
smile COOL!

Ray, I can't wait to see her.. I've been searching for a classic 404 Jeff for a couple of years, just can't seem to find one that suit's me.. I'm about to pull the pin on having one built on a CZ action.. Don't know why... My Roger Ferall CZ 458Lott is my go to buff rifle.. The 404 Jeff just calls me and seems to be an itch I need to scratch.. Keep the faith Ray.. I for one sure miss you on AR

MM

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
NO PICTURES!!!!!!

Bad Atkinson, no donut . . . . . grin

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I'm interested in pics also. I see that CZ/Safari Classics offer a .404 now. Looks interesting, but a little too rich for my blood, not to mention pocketbook.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CZ has had a .404 for several years -- I bought one in 2005 and took it to Africa in 2006. It is unfortunate that they only offer the .404 in the Safari Classic, since the regular Safari Magnum version, in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Win, is about a third the price of the "Classic" version. Mine shoots very well, but I think it is about three inches too long and about two pounds too heavy.

If I had it to do over, I would spend the money building one the way I want it.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BMT
NO PICTURES!!!!!!

Bad Atkinson, no donut . . . . . grin

BMT

I was thinking that myself!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't wait to see it Ray!

MM, I can get you a CZ550 in .404 new, one of my distributors still has a couple.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking forward to seeing it.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cant wait to see it Ray

Why do you not post on AR no more?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Remington Model 30 Express that just sits and thought about something new and a 404 Jeff. maybe some photos would inspire me to get on with it. Ray you said the 404 requires a full mag action. Why?

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Send me your email addresses and I will send you pictures, I have some now..

Being computer ig I can't post them and too old and tired to learn anything new these days! smile I can send them to your email, I got that far and quit...The posting pictures blew me away, gave me chillbains and I felt gilflurted after trying to cipher the directions in a foriegn tongue best I could figgure! smile smile

BTW shot some 3 shot groups and they average 1.5 or a little less at 100 yards with irons..not too shabby. My load of 93 grs. of IMR-4831 is substantial in recoil and 95 grs was just plumb grim! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one...1924 Mauser A-type
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rifle; 02/13/09.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ray, if yah want you can email them to rattler_mtyahoo.com and ill host them in my photobucket account and post them for yah, to get these guys off your back and all grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sure, and we'll send donuts. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good lokin' shooter, Ray.

You know it's good sharp checkering when it picks up fibers from the gun case!

Last edited by KDK; 02/13/09. Reason: fat fingers

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very very nice, in every way and every feature!

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like it a lot!

What's the point of the quarter rib? Curious.

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Bearstalker,
Good question, I guess quarter ribs are more traditional than anything else. I know they are stonger and less likely to damage. The flat plane is supposed to give you a quicker sight picture..The only thing I am sure of is they are bloody expensive to have installed and they add a lot of monitary value to an African style or any true big bore rifle..

This is the only quarter rib sight I have ever seen that has full windage and horizontal adjustment...I did this by using one of Jim Wisners shallow V Island sights and removing the sight from his island base and having the dovetail cut in the quarter rib at the same an angle as Jim's base. ..I really like the idea of having an adjustable quarter rib as it gives you the ability to change loads...

Last edited by atkinson; 02/13/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's slick..the bolt appears to be far enough from the stock to work when needed quickly,yet does not protrude to far out to get in the way.Interesting to see how the sight works out,looks like the old p64 .458 African........nice

rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

433 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,315
Posts18,526,361
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.