Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hello.

I am looking to book a fly fishing trip in the Bristol Bay area and have zero to start on. I am more interested in a float trip than a lodge based trip. If anyone has any info, websites, etc where I could start it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.blueberryislandlodge.com/

These guys are a real bargain and sort of between the options of a float trip and a upper-end lodge. You fish by yourself as much as you like and the fish are incredible. A number of friends have been out there and all thought it incredible...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
George riddle owns Blueberry and he's got a great show there.

For floating give Van Hartly at Branch River Air a call.

Good Luck

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at my operation as well in case it interests you

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I used Rick for a Brown Bear hunt and was favorably impressed. I have no experience with their float trips but it might be worth an email. http://www.tikchikairventures.com/floattrips.htm

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mike454
I used Rick for a Brown Bear hunt and was favorably impressed. I have no experience with their float trips but it might be worth an email. http://www.tikchikairventures.com/floattrips.htm

My son and I used Rick for a Caribou hunt in 2001. He ran a first rate operation. He had a buddy that specialized in fly in rainbow trout trips but I can not recall the name of his operation.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the info guys. I have some follow up to do now.

Paul Hanson at Alaska Rainbow Adventures does a nice job on Alagnak, Moraine, Togiak and other rivers. I've been on two trips with his outfit - wish I could go again this year.

www.akrainbow.com is the website. Best of luck to you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well hello, skunkedagain!

Haven't we met somewhere before? wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Oz Offline
O
In the midst of checking my web site stats this evening I ran across postings from here so I thought I would wander in and see what is up. I am Paul Hansen the owner of the aforementioned and linked to Alaska Rainbow Adventures, if I can answer any questions please give me a call and I'll help in any way I can.

www.akrainbow.com
877-235-2647 Toll Free

Now one of the posters has me wondering whom he is and I thank him for the mention.

Cheers all and perhaps we can fish together here in Alaska.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skunkedagain
Paul Hanson at Alaska Rainbow Adventures does a nice job on Alagnak, Moraine, Togiak and other rivers. I've been on two trips with his outfit - wish I could go again this year.

www.akrainbow.com is the website. Best of luck to you.

Welcome aboard! You look surprisingly familiar! grin

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oz
Not all posters are hes and hims... wink
art

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't know who does it- there might be more than one. The Good News River float, flying into Red (named for salmon) Lake and floating down to the village of Good News Bay has to be dynamite, factoring in weather/river conditions.

I wouldn't know- I only spent 6 weeks in a Weatherport at one location one year on that river years ago 17 miles above the village and never fished more than a quarter mile from camp - and I fished every day, caught fish every day, while working for F&G establishing a new salmon counting site. No heat in the camp then (I understand they have a fuel-oil equipped cabin there now, the wusses), except for a Coleman 3 burner to cook on. Pat McManus's "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" comes to mind.... In my mind, even after decades, it is a fairly even draw between "fine and pleasant" and "misery", shading toward the former.....

You can find misery (tho maybe not in that quality) anywhere - but fishing like that is hard to come by!

Two days before I left, I managed to catch a rainbow under 16 inches (14"). Tough, thick, chunky fish! 5 species of salmon, grayling, and char to boot. Hell, even my Lab was catching salmon - or trying to - (that 30 lb king he latched into and eventually managed to turn loose of- the fish was definately trying to drown him!) - almost made me fall out of the tower, I was laughing so hard- but it got him put on leash thereafter while I was spotting... Can't go around abusing the product, after all.... He'd previously proudly carried around his self-caught first "trophy" salmon ( a pink, or humpie) for 3 days before it got stinking so bad I threw it into the river. He was crushed. Thereafter, he brought his catches to me and I cooked them up for him for supper... Until his eyes got too big for his abilities.

One evening, I saw a pretty good fish on the opposite side of the river jump out of the water up onto an overhanging bank, then flop a couple times to get back into the water- repeated 2 more times. Since a float party had just come thru, I assumed they had hooked and lost a salmon, with line attatched, and this fish was in distress, hung up on something by the line. I crossed the river to the spot- a deep hole straightoff a slanted undercut-overhang bank with a drowned alder bush just off-shore, but couldn't see anything. after a few minutes, just for the hell of it, I jigged my Krocodile down into a hole in the center of the drowned bush and had it taken. No real fight- I just kind of lead this 6.5 pound female rainbow out of the bush and onto a 2-feet wide (literally) landing at the base of the overhang bank. I was fishing for supper for 3 guys, so she died. She had three (fresh) large voles in her stomach, another in her craw, with the tip of the tail hanging out of the corner of her mouth. I figured she was laying there in her hole, sky-lining thevoles at the crest of the overhanging bank as they traveled an obvious trail, and nailing them on the fly! On dry ground (well- as dry as that country ever gets, anyway.)!

Talk about "Jaws"!

I've seen a lot of pretty neat things over the years up here, but that has to be the most incredible. Literally- so no offense if you disbelieve it. I probably would myself, but, "Hell, I Was There" !

I've got a couple more tales from that river... but not as good.

The country sucks, and the weather sucks, but that is the most incredible river and fishing I have ever encountered. Once, during very high/muddy water, I choked up on my fishing rod to about 18 inches (not easy in heavy willow/alder cover), jigged the Krokodile, and caught a 20 inch rainbow about 6 inches in front of my toes, 10 inches deep, hard up against the bank.... The old spot-and-stalk.... tho I didn't have to travel anywhere after spotting it... smile

Ate that one too. Our supply line just wasn't all that reliable.....It got to the point where I would take orders for what we were eating that night- just varying the location/ portion of hole, and presentaton to catch the species desired. Used the same tackle and lure for 5 weeks, until a 40 lb king got the Krokodile (I was after a coho)... by that time, the 10 lb test line was getting pretty haggard also...

There are several outfitters in the Wood River/Tikchik Lakes system - similar incredible fishing- that would do you good. Beautiful country.! Trees, here and there, even! smile

Last edited by las; 02/13/09.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Oz Offline
O
Doh! I stand corrected

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I can vouch for the previously mentioned Rick Grant (Tikchik Airventures) he runs a top notch operation. He also happens to live across the street from my dad. Speaking of my dad he is the head park ranger for the Togiak National Wildlife Refuge in Dillingham. You can give him a call at (907)842-8404 (Allen Miller). He can give you a lot of info on the the diferent operations and rivers on the refuge and in the Wood Tikckik Park as well. There are so many options. A lot is going to depend on whether or not you want to target certain species or a mixed bag. Most of the rivers have a mixed bag but certain rivers are better for certain species. Hope this helps.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mike Gorten at the Good News River Lodge can taylor a trip to any taste on the Good News, a premiere grand slam river. You could have a float trip then end with gourmet food at the lodge.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Oz Offline
O
So LongDraw what did you decide to do?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,746
Posts18,514,577
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.