Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The snow that the forecasters (having once again misread the entrails of an owl) said would arrive about six o'clock and not amount to much, started in about two o'clock and has more than slightly surpassed its allotted total. About an hour ago I set out for a walk on the deserted streets. As I gazed at the flakes gliding down through the glow of the street lights, I realized that I was experiencing a quiet beauty that is only granted to us a few times in life. I have taken many walks in the snow, but can only recall two others that provided the same sense of peace and the same all-enveloping comfort as this. Once was in the middle 1950s when I had gone downtown with my parents to see the Christmas lights strung across the main street of our small town. The snow fell with a gentleness that allowed it to remain on the pine roping that was strung between the street lights as well as on the decorations suspended from that roping and on the lights that were entwined with it. The other time was when my son was small and we set out with me pulling him on the sled that was mine as a boy. Sorry to take up your time with my nostalgia, but it did me good to be able to share tonight's experience and the memories it evoked. Best to all, John

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/13/09. Reason: failure to proof-read - sorry Mrs. Roberts and Mrs. Mefferd

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hey john, it makes sense to me to share some good feelings too.

every once in a while, it does th body good to hear some good news versus the usual.

thanks for sharing and reminding me of my first hunt in the snow.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5S
I'm just north of Des Moines and I'll bet we got our predicted 6 inches. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I knew somehow by your 'subject-line' that this was a post I wanted to open...

I too have experienced "that"- and the same feelings, in the early '50's and many, many times in the years since- in good old cold North Dakota.

Still magic ... Thanks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John: I too have had times like that, but of late, due to older age, I hate the freakin' snow and cold. I do appreciate your sentaments, wait til you get old, it changes.
Nevertheless, enjoy the beauty of nature and a quiet time in the snow.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i dont know about the whole getting old thing, but one of my best memories was elk hunting in the snow. just sitting there in the quiet and cold watching life happen for many small critters, and even a few deer. no elk though. but still a great time.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
John: I too have had times like that, but of late, due to older age, I hate the freakin' snow and cold. I do appreciate your sentaments, wait til you get old, it changes.
Nevertheless, enjoy the beauty of nature and a quiet time in the snow.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, but I too appreciate John's post.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ya, I used to catch snowflakes on my tongue too,, way back

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i was there to catch them with my 30-06 grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I love snow.......living in it ....playing in it....working in it. One of my best times is a good snow storm, late at night, working for the highway maintenance contractor, plowing 6-8" off with hardly any traffic, huge plume of snow billowing out the right window of a Peterbuilt tandem with a load of sand on for ballast.
Good times.!
Thanks for the good thread.
Dave

Dave
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I pity anyone who can't appreciate the simple pleasures and beauty life has to offer. How else can you find peace in this world? Good thread here.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
We can't buy a snow storm down here anymore. It has been five years since our last significant snow and it looks like winter is over down here. Hey if you are gonna give me 105 deg in the summer as least give me a good snow or two in the winter!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntBoykins
We can't buy a snow storm down here anymore. It has been five years since our last significant snow and it looks like winter is over down here. Hey if you are gonna give me 105 deg in the summer as least give me a good snow or two in the winter!

I'm enjoying the same snow, and it was 60 last weekend. Don't count your winter out just yet! smile

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
Ya, I used to catch snowflakes on my tongue too,, way back

Beat me to it, 4570. I was gonna ask him did he stick his tongue out and catch some of the flakes? wink Loved doing that as a kid. Still do it when the flakes are huge and lazy.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Huntboykins, You have a point but don't forget that this is winter in North Carolina and if you don't like the weather just wait five min. and it will change.
Will you be at the Greensboro gun show this weekend?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Have you ever been walking in a heavy snow with no wind? Just the snow falling so straight and hard that it actually creates a hiss as the flakes hit?

Or, sitting on stand when it's dropping an inch an hour and you just know the deer are bedded down and you're wasting your time, but you can't bring yourself to pack it in?

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can count on one hand the number of times I've been out hunting and heard the hiss of a heavy snow. Here in Kansas the wind seems to always be blowing so it's rare when you get the total still with a heavy snow that allows the hiss. Makes for a great time out side.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've hunted in that kind of snowfall. Like you say, the hiss is so loud it's eerie.

In an hour and a half, I had so much snow built up on the shoulders of my Filson Mackinaw, I couldn't see when I turned my head to look down a deer trail to my left.

It was great being in the woods, but not so much for successful hunting. That is if successful is only counted by game in the bag.

Mark

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope that the local prognosticators are not using Spotted Owls entrails for their rituals. laugh

We don't get a lot of snow down here, but I did do a 7 mile hike in the swamp north of town, which gave me a much needed opportunity for contemplation smirk

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother and I were on a mid-winter camping/small game snowshoe trip. I went out alone after dark on my 'shoes. Starlit and moonlit sky, soft surface snow and the Adirondacks. Yeah, the feeling of Peace was powerful.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.