-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Around here it would sell for $600 to $800 in the gun shops, but to a collector it's worth no more than $300 or $350. That's the difference..

Unless you're looking at it as an investment, then just look at the price and figure out if it's something you want and can afford.

GB1

B
Bri_guy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I missed the 2nd page of replys until now. I appreciate all of your info guys. I may still buy this as my first 99. It's nice and not that expensive. I don't really consider myself a collector and am looking for more of a shooter. I don't think that's wrong. On my 2nd 99, I will look for more of a collectors gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it is worth the price to you as a shooter then go for it.
We are not exactly swamped with 99s here in the southeast , I have imported most of mine from foreign countries like NY , Michigan , Kansas...........

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
B
Bri_guy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Here's an update. I went to buy the gun today expecting to buy a nice looking shooter. In looking at the gun, the refinish job looked inconsistent. I could see streaks where the no oil had been applied. The top of the receiver where it says Model 99 was in bad shape. Several of the letters were missing. I couldn't find any serial numbers except on the receiver, is this normal?

No where on the gun did it say the model. One of the articles said it should have been on the receiver if it was an older model. I assume 1949 is an older model. Is it supposed to be on top where it says Model 99? If so, it looked like there was an A, but it was supposed to be an EG.

All of this gave me a somewhat uneasy feeling and then I looked in the bore. It was absolutely filthy, like it had been shot 1000 times and never cleaned. I passed on it for that reason primarily. No one wants a pitted bore and an inaccurate shooter.

I write all this to ask, what should I be looking for when I look at the next one? I thought older ones had matching serial #'s. I am new at this so please be patient.

Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like passing it up was a good idea.

Here's some answers to your questions.

1) Before 1955, I don't think any model had the model name on it. Very few ever did.
2) The serial numbers prior to 1950 should be stamped on the buttplate, buttstock and forearm.. but you have to remove the forearm and buttplate to see them. They're hidden. From 1950 until sometime later (1959? 1960's?) the serial numbers everywhere but the receiver were replaced with a 4 digit/character code.
3) The top front of the receiver will just have the Model 99 stamp.

IC B2

B
Bri_guy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To go further in depth on how to determine what model of 99 you're looking at, these guys have studied this for many years. As you can tell, some can tell you based on the serial number, the barrel length, the lever boss code, the buttstock shape, the forearm shape, etc. Sometimes one of those characteristics will be enough for them to know what model it is, sometimes they'll need a combination of a couple of them to get it right. Then you start getting into barrel swaps, buttstock swaps, forearm swaps, sight swaps, and it gets hairy.

Something I didn't read in this post that you might already have picked up on, if the drill and tap for the scope mount goes through the writing on the reciever, then it is not factory. If the writing on the reciever is on the side, and the drill and tap for the scope is on clear metal, then it is factory.

As to pricing, like they said, the gun you were looking at isn't worth $300 to a collector, but what is it worth to you as a shooter? How much would you pay for any other bolt action 'shooter' on the market today? Can't get much of anything for less than $300, at least where I'm at.

Like Calhoun said, if that gun was in a shop around here, it would be $600 automatically for the simple fact that it is a 99, it doesn't matter how bubba'd it has been, its a 99, so it automatically starts at $600.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A collector gun is usually pretty mint, and this is what these guys go crazy over. Savage 99's however are wonderful shooters and handling. The Rotary magazine is a feature that is pretty cool, as it tells you how many rounds there are left , and quite easy to load and unload. There are no more being made, and they are getting harder to find. If you wanted a good shooter with a good bore, I am certain someone here could find you one or sell you one. For good condition you will usually pay $600 or more. It will cause you to not be content with just one if you get started. It is a sickness, as they are beautiful creations if in good condition! I have a minty "EG" in .300 Sav. that I will sell you for $3,000.00

Last edited by daveo; 02/16/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good point, cheesy. I'm going to have to get a nice picture made up to show the Savage 99 stamp and d&t.

Savage 99 stamp on the side and d&t'd for scope, count it as factory.

[Linked Image]

Screws through the Savage Model 99 stamp, 100% guaranteed to have been drilled by a smith or bubba.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Rory, How did you get Jed to share that sock? I am trying to get him to sell me some, but he ignores me!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I tried to be nice and turned him onto what I figured might be a 99F in 250 in his neighborhood. The next thing I knew was that he'd talked me into the 99EG in 250 that it turned out to be. He was nice and shipped the gun in that gun sock.. very cool.

PS: The gun pictured isn't the EG, it's one of my T's.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (79S, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 16 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,936
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.