Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Sorry if this has been posted already. I suppose I should not be surprised that freedom of speech in todays colleges and universities only applies if you are advocating liberal viewpoints! God forbid someone should support a conservative viewpoint.

This from MSNBC...

College sued over speech against gay marriage
Student says professor at L.A. Community College cut him off

LOS ANGELES - A college student has filed a lawsuit saying a public speaking professor berated him in class for making a speech opposing same-sex marriage.

In the federal court suit filed last week, student Jonathan Lopez said that midway through his speech, when he quoted a dictionary definition of marriage and recited a pair of Bible verses, professor John Matteson cut him off and would not allow him to finish. He said Matteson also called him a "fascist bastard."

A student evaluation form included with the lawsuit lacks a score for Lopez's speech, and reads "ask God what your grade is."
In a letter, Dean Allison Jones wrote that she had met with Lopez, considered his complaint "extremely serious in nature," and had begun a disciplinary investigation. Jones said in the letter she could not elaborate because of concerns for Matteson's privacy.

But Jones also wrote that two students were "deeply offended" by the speech, and quoted one as saying "this student should have to pay some price for preaching hate in the classroom."

Matteson did not immediately respond to calls and e-mails seeking comment early Monday. Offices of the Los Angeles Community College District were closed for the Presidents Day holiday.

Lopez made the speech at Los Angeles City College in November, days after the passage of Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage in California.

"Basically, colleges and universities should give Christian students the same rights to free expression as other students," David J. Hacker, an attorney for the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal organization that is representing Lopez, told the Los Angeles Times.

Lopez and his attorneys are seeking financial damages and want the court to strike down a code at Los Angeles City College forbidding students from making statements deemed offensive.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much of our freedom of speech has already been buried under PC requirements.

But there may be worse to come. If we do not react to this intellectual terrorism, we can envisage that some time in the near future we will not be allowed to criticize the tenets of "liberal thinking".

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The concept of Politicaly Correct has gone way to far. There is no reason to be rude or offensive to others and I believe you have a right in a discussion in College to be able to hear all sides of an arguement. I mean, isn't that what Colleges should be doing. Looking into ALL opinions and thoughts? Developing serious thinking, I mean real thinking and looking at ALL alternatives to any argument.
If not, well then I think Mr. Lopez has been wronged and he should have simply said if you are Gay, well you are just Queer, a [bleep], a Pervert, a butt buddy and whatever else he chose to say.
Where in Gods Name are we headed when Perverts are allowed a stronger agenda than a Christian, not even equal, but a stronger one.
You want to stick your head between another mans legs go for it, I could care less, just DON'T try to tell me I have to respect that and embrace your perverted thinking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Liberals are totally committed to 'freedom of speech', except in instances where the speech goes against their agenda.

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Perhaps i'm missing something but i do think after i was called a "fascist bastard" i'dve asked Professor Matteson outside to the nearest parking lot.I think you Western folks refer to it as a "Dustup" or "Rhubarb".

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I saw this article too. College professors are in all reality the greatest enemies of America today. At least the America I believe in, which means a Declaration of Independence sort of America.

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 3,483 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,410
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.