Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 133 of 1,842 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PREACHER JOE! GET BETTER MAN!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
This just in,

Pam writes: "Seems just fine. Playing, talking. Ate a corndog and dipped it in chocolate pudding."

corndog dipped in chocolate pudding. I'd say his appetite is back to normal, normal for him anyways.

grin

Last edited by northern_dave; 02/17/09.

Something clever here.

G
G
Glad your little boy is feeling better. Tell him Happy Birthday from a Georgia Boy.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Little joe with his new red ryder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

well there he is, the big birthday boy ready to hunt chickenbucks.

Definately not 100% yet, looking very pekid.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fantastic B-day present. Happy Birthday Preacher!

He is just a whisker older than my little girl, she will be 5 in May. I had her out shooting with me (a little .22) last summer. And of course she has done a fair amount of elk, deer, bear, rooster, duck, skunk and goose hunting in her room right before bedtime.

A Fred Glider shore does perk up a guy who is feeling sick. That and some puddin' covered corn dogs I always say.

I had to take a business trip down to Iowa today, it was a balmy 40 here. I called home and Lauren told her mommy "I am sooo disappointed daddy wont be home tonite." All but carved my heart out. They sure do get a grip on a guy, eh?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good to hear Preacher Man is getting better.

Corndog dipped in pudding....mmmmm. My boy had oatmeal for a snack last night, and put pepper and a TON of salt on it. :carzy: He said it was good. I took a bite of the last spoon full and I've never had so much salt on something in all my life. How he ate I'll never know.

Berettaman,
Those little girls sure do know how to wrap a daddy around their fingers don't they. smile My baby girl will be 6 in a month and a half. She knows how to tug on her daddy's heart that is for sure.
One look with those big brown eyes and my heart melts.

T

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
tzone,
You're right on the money! and sometimes when they goof up and need a little discipline, it is hard not to laugh. Last nite, Lauren got into trouble and mommy told her she was gonna have to tell daddy when he called. So when I called, Lauren was scared to death and crying before she even got a chance to tell me what she did. She self-administered the discipline, I didnt have to do a thing. Man, I CANNOT wait until I get to move to Alex and start doing more outdoors things with them.

So Valentines Day was just a mess for us as we were running around trying to buy stuff for our basement. At the end of the day, Lauren and I made a stop at Gander Mtn and I told her she could pick out her present. She picked out a camo shirt. Boy, did I feel good about that!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My little girl wants a pink .22lr for her b-day. Funny thing is, I think she's going to get one. smile

It will be eaiser to ask momma for forgiveness than permission. grin

T

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone

It will be eaiser to ask momma for forgiveness than permission. grin

T

truer words have never been spoken.

I have the shared "trainer" at home for the kids. Years ago I picked up a marlin model 15YS (youth stainless) single shot bolt action .22 S-L-LR

fiber optic sights, toggle safety like a remington 700, both the bigger kids learned with that one & It will be Joey's turn this summer.

The 2 bigger kids now have there own rimfires. Nate has a winchester 9422M Yellowboy. 22 mag with the yellowboy reciever, very cool.

Taylor (weezy) has the laminated pink ruger 10/22

also very cool.

but they both learned starting at about age 5 on the little marlin, marlin used to call it the "buckaroo"

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure which one I'll get. there are several to choose from. The pink "cricket" is out. I saw one at Gander with a stock busted at the wrist. Plus, I just don't like it.

The pink 10/22 is an option, but I'm not sure starting her on a semi is the best idea either.

The Marlin may be the best otion at this point. Single shot, bolt. The pink ones run quite a bit more, so I may go with the regular youth model, and paint the stock.

Her fav is the Rem. M547, hot pink synthetic stock, but I'm not buying one of those from what I hear. Never shot one, but the gun smith at gander like em, they keep him busy.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have you given any thought to the 'Chipmunk' by Rogue Rifle Co.? Neat little starter guns for around $150.00. Not sure if they make them in pink though.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Have you given any thought to the 'Chipmunk' by Rogue Rifle Co.? Neat little starter guns for around $150.00. Not sure if they make them in pink though.

Can't say I've seen one Rooster. I'll look into it. It doesn't have to come in pink, I can fix that. grin

I think the Marlin was $140 or so, so that is in the right price range. The Ruger was in the 2's.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A very Happy Birthday to the young man of the day.I remember well my first Fred Glider.Yes Joey,they had BB guns even back then.
I still have and shoot my first .22 rifle.I'll bet it has had countless thousands of rounds thru it.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ya know Tzone, there is a frequent poster here on campfire forums that took a regular factury hardwood stock from a 10/22 (birch I suppose)

anyways.... He stripped the factory brown finish & bleached the wood, then used a die like RIT clothing die & he died the stock purple. His daughter wanted a purple gun, it came out really nice!! I think it was "waders" that did it?

You could do that in pink for any hardwood or laminate stock.

Weezy's is a laminate died pink from ruger, really neat.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'll also tell you my reason for choosing the model 15 youth marlin. I liked the action & safety.

I wanted a single shot for the kids to learn with, everything goes slowly with a single shot, slow is good

I liked that the bolt cocked the firing pin just like the big boy guns that they would transition into some day.

I liked the safety, I put strong emphasis on safety & handling long before we ever went outside with the gun, we'd practice (very casually) sitting on the couch with the empty little rifle. Practice cycling the action & working the safety.

When it came time to move to actual shooting they knew the drill.

Safety goes to safe position, open the chamber, load the shell, close the chamber, safe aim, look beyond target ensuring safe area, take the safety off, take the shot, put directly back on safe & open the action.

the marlin 15 lets you do this, doesn't need to be cocked to engage the safety.

I'm sure others are the same but when I saw this by handling it in person & observing the quality which I felt was better than some of the other youth offerings I decided on the Marlin 15Y and at the time I chose the stainless, it looked real nice & came with better sights.

Not to influence one way or another, I'm just sharing my purchase experience & observations in hopes it might help you pick what works best for you & your kids.

And when they are all grown up & gone from the house.....

I'm gonna sneak out into the woods with it & shoot rabits with the tiny little gun grin

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tzone, there's another youth 22 called the "Cricket". I'm pretty sure that Gander carries them also.

By the way, hows the Toyota running?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

I think that is the the Marlin I looked at. Single shot, bolt, safety was like a model 700. They had a pink painted one, and stained birch stock.

The more I think about it, that really is the way to go. No semi's for her yet. Maybe me though. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Grizz,

The Cricket isn't on my list. I have handled them at Gander before and they seemed cheap to me. Then a few weeks later, they had one with a broken stock on shelf, I mean broken. Right at the wrist/ pistol grip.

The Toyota is running great. Everything is nice and tight. It even runs smooth in 4x4. The only other truck I had that did that was my Tacoma I had back in 99. I like it so far. A bit tight with the kids in it, but it will work.

T

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Always lots of used single shot 22s around in gun shops.
Bruce

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The little Marlin is a great little rifle. That is what my little girl started her shooting career with. I chose it for all the reasons Dave described above. She is a small person and still shoots it at gophers on occasion. But she knows she still has Dad wrapped around her little finger to this day. She indicated she would like to get a different .22 one of these days so Dad gave her a Ruger 77/22 with a 4 power Leupold on top of it for her birthday earlier this month, and she was so tickled with it at 27 years old! I hope all of you guys little girls still have you wrapped around their little finger at that age and still like to come home and go shooting and deer hunting with the old guy.

Page 133 of 1,842 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.