Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Contact this gentleman and ask to book or receive info for hunting the Eastern cape on Woodlands Game Farm. I had a great time there, saw lots of animals and they treated me to the exact Hunt I wanted.
I will gladly send you photos and more of a report if you wish.
Frank
Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://Grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: GGafricansafarisaol.com
Roland Ward - SCI Scorer

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
I'd say Namibia too. You may not like the idea of a ranch hunt, but some of those ranches are awfully big. You don't need to equate "ranched" with "canned" as the two are not the same thing.

I have to second that. The ranch I hunted was huge. The kind of place where you could stand on a peak in the middle of it, look from horizon to horizon, and it was all part of the ranch. I've hunted on smaller islands.

Also, the fence didn't seem to be much of a factor. Besides the fact that the property itself is large enough to support breeding populations of plains game and provide sufficient food, water, and escape cover, it's not an absolute barrier. Several leopard included it as part of their home range; they just zip up and over it. And kudu bulls from state land on the Orange river bordering the ranch would find a way to slip in to visit his kudu cows.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Chek with JJHACK who posts on thus site. Jim is honest and has great resources. A class guy.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey are you going in 2010 or 2011 I'm looking to go for my 40th birthday in 2010?On my list of importance is a slammer of a Kudu and a gemsbok as well.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I agree with Namibia also,but you must be carefull if Kudu is on the list.Rabies outbreaks have an ongoing cycle,and some geographic areas have taken a beating in the last few years.They will recover in time but best to ask.

But it is a stable country and has a low population density.Few fences,mostly low cattle,and animals move freely between ranches.Ask many questions of possible outfitters and set those parameters in your mind.High fence,low fence,no fence;each person has a different expectation.

Remember to enjoy the experience,its not all about inches.Don't forget that many take several trips before posting that 58" Kudu!It should be hunting;not shopping.Go for quality, not to complete the list.

You may also find there is not as much slinding scale pricing on animals,especially Kudu.I think that's total BS,and seems way more prevelent in SA.This is directly related to the demand for inches,instead of mass/maturity.

Dinsey

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Totally agree with all of the last post. Most open country, most stability, highest standards for PHs...best climate, Namibia is THE place now.
Also agree with enjoying the experience, as in " Did you have fun hunting Kudu?" A:" Ahhhh... my Kudu was only 53"..."
" Yeah, but did you have FUN hunting him???"
What is really fun is going with someone who is seeing it all for the first time...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Here's a good numbers vs. trophy quality photograph.

This animal was near Otavi,north central Namibia.I was in a blind looking for warthogs/culls.

He's thin as it was late in the season (late sept)....

[Linked Image]

He has otward pointing tips on his horns,a sign of age.He also has a nice beard and will make a great looking mount.I passed as I already took a nice Kudu this trip.

2 Weeks later the last hunter of the season shot this guy with a bow.Same blind around 35 yds.

He's "only" 52",8-9 years old(!) A fine trophy.He loses his length in the tight curl.I still think I should have shot him. LOL

Dinsey

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still say Zim has the best value, particularly for the Big Five and the Pg "glamor game". jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
No doubt Zimbabwe is the affordable alternative IF DG is involved.

But the original question is a first time plains game hunt.The specific animals requested fit the bill in SA or Namibia.And without the potential problems both economic and political.

With the infrastructure for reliable trophy shipment at decent cost,Namibia gets my nod.Further factoring in that a great majority of the outfitters own or control the land they hunt leads to better game management.Too many suitcase PH/put and take operations in SA.One has to be a little more carefull there,IMO.

Dinsey

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Glenn,

I have thought Namibia has the most bang for the buck, and I did my first hunt there on a "I'm going for my 50th" basis. I know several outfitters there I could recommend. It has way fewer folks than RSA, and offers all the animals you would like to hunt.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I did the hunt before 50 thing last year.
Namibia was good value for money for the species you're after.
Political stability and safety were a consideration in selecting Namibia as a destination, can recommend Shona Adventures.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
IMO it is a mistake to choose your hunt by the country..

Better to do your shopping all over and pick a good "outfit"...

RSA and Namibia are pretty much the same deal, but the country itself is a little different..RSA is more picturesque than the Namibian desert, but I like the desert myself, so its a toss up for me..RSA has more game and more species..Namibia has some great Kudu and Gemsbok and black faced Impala, Mt. Zebra and a couple of other species..RSA has 30 to 40 species on most ranches..Both countries are pretty much game fenced ranch hunts but both have exceptions to that.

Personally, I would opt for a hunt in Zimbabwe, since you want a lot of space and no fences and lots of game. The Dollar block, Sengwa, or Chirisa always suited me and its cost is in your same ball park at about $300 to $350 per day for plainsgame and you will see elephant, buffalo, Hippo, and perhaps a Lion or leopard. These things add to a safari...The downside may be the political situation in Zimbabwe, but I don't know of any problems cropping up with hunters there, its a hands off policy by the Zim gov. as they don't have much income left other than hunting. We have never had a single problem in Zim with our hunters.

Good luck and wherever you go have a good hunt.

M
M
Eden (eden-wildlife.com) in Namibia. 70,000 acres private. Light hunting pressure, wonderful trophy quality. Been there 8 times and keep going back.

Not wilderness, but natural Northern Kalahari desert country.

M
M
You will always get good info from people who have hunted in an area before, but do yourself a favor, shortlist 3 or 4 outfitters, then drop them a line and ask them to supply the names & contact details of at least 5 recent clients, and phone or mail them all.
Check up on the hunt, travel arrangements, accommodation, taxidermy work, service, guides, quality of the animals etc., get as much info as possible, you are laying out a large portion of your earnings, and you deserve the memory and trophies that you desire.

Good luck, and have yourself a great hunt,

Graham

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 56 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.