Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
twodogs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sitting around here the other day waiting for Spring to show up, (June, perhaps), and I decided to top off some partially filled boxes of ammo. Some boxes had two or three rounds gone and others had about the same number left. Yesterday I checked all my primers, powder and bullets to make sure I had all the makin's.

Today I grabbed a few manuals just to check for max loads and COAL's and got to work. I didn't get far as I kept checking the data on the boxes to the newest load data I have and didn't get much confirmation on the loads I have on hand. Some of them go back fifteen years or more and I always used IMR and some Hodgdon powders. Many of my .257 WBY loads are over today's Max load data and others aren't even mentioned for the powders I used. Same deal for the 7mm RM. It took a couple hours for me to decide to load to the levels I had previously but I did notice where some of the new loads have different OAL.

I filled three boxes of .257 and used the new OAL for a box of 115 gr. Nosler BT's. I had to pull two old ones to get to the new, longer OAL. I loaded a dozen 100 grainers to the actual length of the factory loads, which is shorter than the Hodgdon recommended OAL, using Hornady spire points. I topped off two boxes of 7MM but figured the OAL on those was "close enough" so I just matched the loads.

I was using I-4350, and I-4831 today and think I'll do some more work with I-7828 and maybe RL-22. tomorrow.

From now on, I'm going to try to write down a reference to WHERE I got my load data, when I make up the stickers for the boxes.

[Linked Image]
HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There is no way I would top off boxes. I treat each box of ammo that I load as its own lot. The brass all has the same history and is not mixed with any other.

twodogs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That sounds pretty good to me but I don't have the discipline to follow your method. I usually segregate brass that is once fired but, after that, they all go into their same buckets. I do suppose that I get a little anal when checking brass for neck and case cracks and especially head separation indications. I also separate some brass, in the same caliber, by which rifle they were used in and even that is a pain to me.

I've tried to do better but I just can't stick with it. frown

Congratulations to you. smile

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never had the nerve to add newly loaded rounds to an older box. I put the newly loaded stuff in a separate box, and fire a test group. All my hunting stuff has a target stuck inside the box from the last grouping. I have to admit that the new stuff & the old stuff usually perform identically.
My general practice is to load & store hunting loads in 50 round boxes. Most of my rifles have a "go to" recipe, so there is usually more than 1 box, sometimes several, of the same vintage, available.
Having said that, I do a lot of loading, shooting & testing every year, looking at new components and/or combinations, in search of perfection. That keeps things interesting.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,420
Posts18,528,297
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.