Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'll be taking my stainless, pistol grip out for a shakedown tomorrow. This will be the first time I've shot it since it was returned from Neil Jones. I have a box of 150 grain core loks and a box of power points. We'll see which Brownie likes better.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So far I can echo what others have said this is easily under one inch and doesn't seem to care much about ammo choice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
John

My 81' light-weight in .358win will usually hover around an inch to 1-1/2" and thats with handloads. If i really got to testing i know i could get it to shoot sub one inch groups consistently. The way it is will get the job done well and its a great little carbine, i really love carrying it in the tight stuff.

E
E
I bought a BLR '81 last fall based on the positive reports on this thread. I found one in great condition, from I think 1993, in 7mm-08. I put a Leupold 1.75-6x on it. I couldn't get it to shoot with much accuracy until I had a local guy who specializes in trigger work (he had never done a BLR before, but he did a great job) bring the trigger down to about 3 pounds. The first load I tried, 120 gr Barnes TSX bullets over H414 put 3 shots into around an inch pretty much every time. I started getting cratered primers a couple of grains below the Barnes recommended maximum so I've kept the loads pretty mild. Not surprisingly, I discovered that it likes new or full length sized brass. But here's why I really like this rifle: I tried some offhand shots and was able to consistently hit a 10" steel plate at 200 yards. I shot 2 deer with it this season, both quick shots in the woods at less than 60 yards, and the BLR handled amazingly. It's a bit chintzy and glossy, and the gold trigger is tacky, but this rifle is one great hunting tool.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
In terms of accuracy my experience with them is - 1- on the straight forearm - do not tighten the long bolt holding the sling peg to tight. -2- try to get the factory to take the trigger pull to its advertised 4.5#'s. -3- If you do not reload try federal fusion ammo.
I had been going to buy these for 20 years. Finally did and now have 3 - Wish I would have done it earlier.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My BLR is in transit now, but I am prepared to have the trigger worked. How did you get Browning to resolve the trigger issue, and did they get it to or below the advertised 4.5#'s?

I may bypass Browning if all they can get is 4.5#, but that may not be that bad even though I am used to around 3# or less in my bolt guns.

Thanks
Allen

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No accuracy data yet, but I was surprised at a 200 Hornady loaded ahead of 50.0 H 335 wasn't as brutal as I had expected it could be.

One major problem I see is the feed rail of the magazines do not line the rounds up for feeding. I loaded the one case I was doing multiple loads in to determine case life and looking at primer pressure indications, and I loaded one of my RCBS 200FN bullets and it or any pistol bullets will not feed. I think I can add material to the forward rails of the magazine to lift the ammo once the case body clears it and lift the round centered on the chamber as it's centerline is 1/4+ " low of the chambers Centerline out of the box. Loading a 308 round fed well.....but they have a longer nose. The 358-200 fn only has an 1/8" nose, so it will only feed spire points right now. The corner of the fn digs into the chamber edge.....

Allen

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JohnT
Hi MD,

I have a BLR lightning with pistol grip stock in .270. Accuracy is quite good. With factory 130gr Powerpoints and a 3-9 Leupold in Warne Maxima QD's it would put 3 shots in well under 1 inch at 100 and 5 in 1.5 - 1.75 inches. Pretty damn fine for that skinny short (& loud) barrel.

Only started to develop handloads but couldn't really do much better than the factory load. (which shot better than the 130gr Supreme load BTW).

Never hunted with it cause it was so unreliable. For some reason it refused to go "Bang" each time you pulled the trigger. Wrote to Browning 2x and never even got a reply. Sent it to a very knowledgeble smith and he thought it needed a new cam which is why I wrote to Browning. Another smith reckons the problem is simpler and merely due to the 2 piece firing pin assembly. Still waiting for it to be fixed.

BTW when it does not fire, the hammer falls but there is not even an indentation on the primer.

If you know how to fix this let me know & also how to make the trigger pull better.

Regards,
JohnT

John T, I had a simialr problem with a 308 feather weight. Took it to the gun smith at the Wausau Gander Mountain who fixed it at no charge. He claimed that it was a known problem to Browning. Something to do with the tight firing pin chanel. What ever he did worked.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I only shoot .250 speer for bear in my steel reciever .358 3 shots into 3/4 inch at 100. 30 bears dead with one shot but I always shoot them twice. If I coud get another .308 with a steel reciever I would trade my BAR short trac for it ! almost even up

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got two now, the first is from 1972 in .358 win. it shoots great with either factory 200 gr or loaded with 225 gr sierra's. came in less than 1.5 inch which is not bad using a old weaver 4x and old eyes..

Just purchased a NEW one again in .358 win camo and Stainless (not that it matters) mounted a VX-III 2,5-8 leupold on it and today was my first range time with it. Fired only factory loads which shot around 1.75 in. with the second group fired (third cleaning) looking to play with some Barnes 225 TSX once it is broke in.

Ted
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sounds like you move fast Ted. Any pictures and/or mount information? I am hoping to leave mine open sighted, but may go with a scope down the road.

Thanks
Allen

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got home and checked trigger it is breaking 6.5 to 7+ lbs. Called a local gunsmiths from Browning's list they claim a "action" job will bring around 4 lbs and be smoother..cost $99.00. it is 3 hr round trip and only opened weekdays so 6 hours of work time to take and pickup....plus last time there cost me big $$$ they have the best prices on Tikka's and Sako's I have seen....

Other option is Neil Jones near Erie PA, he is &120 plus shipping ($50 both ways) and was recommended by a few 24hr members should find out if he can get them to 3 lbs...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Allen

In the picture I used a dednutz Game Reaper mount (matte), it is a great mount. Called factory and can get silver or camo by request. Local dealer did not list one for BLR but they have it online and in "new" catalog..

I think these may be better than "talleys" which had been my favorite mount.Light weight, very strong, easy to mount and $46 at most gun shows $56 in stores. Replaces base and rings so price is reasonable compared to most..

Ted
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Looks goo Ted. I tried to blow the picture up, but can't tell for sure... Dead nutz or...???

Go with Neil, too rich for my current situation, but probably worth the extra 1# less pull he offers.

Allen

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

DEDNUTZ ONE piece precision mounting systems

They are line bored and the well made...local dealers want $56 but I see them at the gun shows for $46 out the door.

http://www.dednutz.com

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just got off the phone with Browning repair, asked about a trigger that is breaking at 6 lb 7 0z to 7 lbs 2 oz. Their spec is 4 to 6.5 lbs and they will repair it to be in range and I can take it to my local authorized Browning repair center and give it a try.

Ted
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It's very encourging to know that all internet lever action rifles shoot under an inch. smile smile

I have found most of the BLRs that I have shot performed very well indeed, usually under a couple of inches with one now and then that shoots an inch. I always shot 3 shot groups with lever guns so don't know how much they will open up for a 5 shot group, but some I am sure.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
These are from my BLR in 325 WSM. Shooting a Sierra 220 Gameking over 61.0 grs. of IMR 4007SSC with WLR primer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All that I have owned would shoot 1.5moa or a little better hovering around 1moa with factory loadings. Really nice guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had two early BLR's both were 308. They would shoot 1.5 to 2 inch groups without much trouble. Sold them both years ago and have been in the market for another. I found a steel frame, short action the other day in 284 Winchester. While it's not a 308 I think it will work ok. I haven't had time to check the accuracy yet but the horrible trigger pull is still there and something you don't easily forget. It makes my 88 Winchester seem like a fine target rifle. I will do something about that before I worry too much about accuracy. I'm not having much luck finding an extra magazine; they must not have made these 284's very long.

Last edited by Mathsr; 03/05/09. Reason: correct error

Harry
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.