Hop To
#2833179 02/22/09
B
Boyd45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I would like to get a dog somtime in the future and would appreciate suggestions. Some requirements include: inside dog of medium size to large size that can be a companion when hunting season is over, no/minimal dog odor, able to deal with heat well, minimum grooming, and fur and feather capable. By which I mean rabbits, upland birds and ducks. As I work long hours it would probably be at home with another dog. Currently leaning toward a Boykin or standard size Poodle. Appreciate any recommendations or warnings. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is kind of how I was when I first wanted a dog.

We wanted a dog that was easy to handle. would travel well in car or boat, one that wouldn't destroy my grass and trees, and just mostly a good companion. I didn't have the right place for a big lab.

We settled on a herding dog.
I knew that they were demanding dogs and that it would take more of my time than other breeds. We got a female heeler that was very intelligent and wanted to be involved in anything we were doing. She is a fetch maniac and soon she became eager to fetch ducks. Before long she was even competing in retriever hunt tests and earned a wall full of ribbons.

Heelers don't do well as only dogs. They get bored and get into mischief if they don't have work to do or someone to play with. After a year or so we got a male heeler to keep her company. He also liked to hunt but he didn't like water as well. He has a natural talent for pheasants and when we hunt big game we can put a pack on him and he helps haul a little meat down from the mountain.

Good luck. Let us know when you find the right dog for you. Post up a pic.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Getting a dog is a such a personal decision that I shied away from posting earlier. From your criteria the first thing that popped into my head was one of the continental pointing breeds. A vizsla actually. Short hair, trim, calm, lovable and perhaps the prettiest dog on feet. I have only hunted over one vizsla and he was a good capable dog that would retrieve land or water during South Dakota pheasant season. Personally, I have an American Water Spaniel, quite similar to the Boykin in appearance. I am a big fan of spaniels and think a Boykin would be a great choice. They do require more coat care than a short haired breed however. A standard poodle is whip crack smart, but goodness that coat would be an almighty trial. Finding a poodle with hunting ability is going to be more difficult as well. Even so, they are out there.

Best of luck in your choosing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive been hesitant too for the same reasons, but the Vizsla is a good answer. I was also thinking Brittany, but that was biased cause I had one. Check more into your poodle idea, especially about the coat on them. I trained a Doodle to track here in MT. and thought that coat would be a nightmare with burrs......but the darndest thing Ive ever seen...he did not pick up ANY, and we went through alot of nasty stuff. And no, I cant explain it.
My own personal choice now is a mixed breed cow dog, but I am doing different outdoor activities in a different climate than you.....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess what?

My hunting and companion dog is an Australian Cattle Dog (Red Heeler). Best darn hunting dog I've ever owned. She is a better flusher and retriever and any Lab I've ever owned and better retriever than all my hunting buddy's English Setters. Plus the smartest dog ever and only weighs 32 pounds.

The biggest problem with this breed is that if you don't give them something to do, they will find something to do!

These dogs are not for everyone and need room to run..

I live on property that is totally enclosed to keep stuff out and my dogs in.

We also have her half brother that isn't worth a darn when it comes to hunting. He hates guns.

As they say you can't teach a dog to hunt and I am blessed with a dog that is hunting something 18 hours a day!

This little red bitches name is........REBA!

Last edited by Reba; 03/09/09.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mine is a Border Collie X Aussie, has spent ten years at my heel hunting deer and elk, knows what she is looking for( It is illegal here to actually send the dog after big game, which is why she stays at heel)and she has assisted in tracking/recovering over 35 big game critters for me and my buds. Likewise stays at heel while trout fishing here, and if needed runs interference between me and Griz, or me and Moose.She loves the gun, but I never trained her on birds, so she ignores them...should have thought of that earlier because, like most cow dogs, shes as smart as they come and can learn ANYTHING that can be taught to a dog...
She is going on 12 now, still good, but staying home more and more...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reba can spot deer, antelope, elk etc 100's of yards out before I ever will, so I just watch where she is looking!

Not only that she has got one great nose!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Same with my dog... if we sit on a ridge, she will instinctively face the opposite direction from me, and she stiffens up and starts to squirm when she sees something. The wierdest part is that I like Big Mule Deer, and she seems to recognize a good buck when she sees it, gets very insistent( as much as she can without squirming too much and making noise..) that we should shoot this one... then of course looks dissappointed when I don't...
Ingwe

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The European versatile hunting dog breeds were specifically developed for your needs. Check out the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association and the Versatile Hunting Dog Federation. Both are dedicated to providing a standardized testing method so that breeders and hunters can evaluate sires and dams to predict the likelihood of buying a good, reliable and versatile hunting dog that you can live with. These dogs point upland birds, and retrieve and track fur and feathers on both land and water.

B
Boyd45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks to everyone for their input and comments. I had thought about the Vizsla but wife is concerned about their need to be around people and high energy levels. I think that can be answered with another dog, like a Boykin. The Boykins are just so damn adorable I know she won't care if it never hunts with me. Again, thank you for your observations and experiences. We are about to begin a home remodeling, and plan to get the dog(s) after that.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Boykins are flat out cool. Pure hunting stock is limited but getting better. Being from the South you should be able to find some good blood. Devilish little whirlwinds that win your heart.

Last edited by battue; 03/12/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Boyd45
Thanks to everyone for their input and comments. I had thought about the Vizsla but wife is concerned about their need to be around people and high energy levels. I think that can be answered with another dog, like a Boykin. The Boykins are just so damn adorable I know she won't care if it never hunts with me. Again, thank you for your observations and experiences. We are about to begin a home remodeling, and plan to get the dog(s) after that.

Don't know about Boykin, but a Vizsla was the dog I found when in your position. Looked around for some good lines, and found a nice bitch that was a great hunting and house dog. Worked full time and after the breaking in period (about 2 years, same as any working or sporting dog) found her to be a fine house dog, great companion, and a really good bird dog. Thing I liked about her was that she was happy to get up early in the worst of weather and run like hell all day, or, if I did a little too much prepping the night before, sleep in until noon. Of course, that's when I was single. I'd have one now but the bird hunting around here isn't too great, and it's just a bit cold for a thinned skinned Vizsla.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Aswaldo
Worked full time and after the breaking in period (about 2 years, same as any working or sporting dog) found her to be a fine house dog, great companion, and a really good bird dog.

the thing ppl seem to forget is that though a dog may look like an adult at under a year, they are still technically a pup til about 18-24 months.......most dogs that i have had went through a personality change either a bit or alot in that time frame.....my schipperke went from a terror that would give a jack russel a run for its money to a much more laid back dog when she hit 18 months....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Its going to be tough to get an upland bird dog that hunts rabbits too, I think. At least where I hunt, I jump a lot of rabbits and I dont want my dog to pay any attention to them. Seems they want to hunt rabbits more than birds if you let them. Aside from that, I think its what ever your choice is. I have a soft spot for a good labrador, but I always wanted a Visla too. They seem to be great dogs and they are a wonder to watch in the field. Good luck with the new dog!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boyd45, I'll give you my recommendation but I am very very one sided in my thinking when it comes to dogs, especially hunting dogs used for water or upland game understand.

I like the German Shorthair Pointer, which loves affection for the most part (not like an English Ponter in that respect) can hunt birds, track, water work or just be the best damn truck buddy you could wish for up front.

Now lets not leave out the watching of a good ball game on TV, just don't set that beer down and walk away or you will be making another trip to the fridge savvy.

You have any questions my couch is available from 1 to 4 after that it is kennel time and bird feeding.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boyd45, I'll give you my recommendation but I am very very one sided in my thinking when it comes to dogs, especially hunting dogs used for water or upland game understand. Our dogs will hunt close at 40 to 125 yards in the field. They are very fast to boot, no slugs in our kennel. Our dogs are out of the top 3 winning bloodlines in field trialing. All are out of NFC/FC titled dogs. Means "national field trial champion".

I like the German Shorthair Pointer, which loves affection for the most part (not like an English Ponter in that respect) can hunt birds, track, water work or just be the best damn truck buddy you could wish for up front.

Now lets not leave out the watching of a good ball game on TV, just don't set that beer down and walk away or you will be making another trip to the fridge savvy. Start the pup out in the house and it will be very good house dog, this is providing you do your part in training the puppy.

You have any questions my couch is available from 1 to 3 after that it is kennel time and bird feeding.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 10 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 803 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.