-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had a 30/40 12 or 15 years. It shoots well and is near perfect for deer where I hunt. The stock could be better.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They cost almost as much to manufacture as a #1 and they didn't sell... believe they came in 22hornet, 223rem, 30-40, 375win, 45-70 and 44mag... truth be told the #1's have a following but they don't sell either.

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I remember them and only in 45-70 and 22 Hornet. I dont' recall an extensive caliber lineup, but what caused their demise?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by m21black
Truth be told the #1's have a following but they don't sell either.

Unfortunately, You are very right. I was always sorry to see the demise of the #3. However I always thought that they'd have done better if they'd had a 1/2 Octagon barrel and a stock like a Browning 1885 with a Schnabel fore-stock. But then, likely they'd not sold any better than the discontinued Brownings. frown

Indeed we are truly fortunate to have the variations of the #1 that we have. And as noted, tho' we have a strong following, comparatively it's quite small... smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I vastly prefer the #3 over the #1's. You can put a #1 stock on that #3. The clean lever is better. I had one in .223, and always wanted one in .375 to go with my handgun. My .223 wouldn't shoot for doo-doo, did all the tricks, finally d'uh, after having it rebarreled, I checked the twist, a flipping 9 twist! on a factory tube! No wonder. Still love the #3's over those clumsy numba ones.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CWG,

I have five #3's four of them have #1 wood on them. One has a custom fore stock. The biggest problem with the lever is that with #1 wood, it doesn't leave much room for you fingers between the p/g and the lever. I've had two of them bent. But as yet, I've failed to find Nirvana... smile

One of my #3's is a custom Schuetzen rifle in .32-40. One is a .375 and one is a .30-40 Krag. These are the only two with factory barrels.

Another is a .338-06 Imp and yet another is a .356 Win. Lastly is a .45-70 that is currently being rebarreled to a 1/2 Octagon bbl in .444 Marlin. I never could understand why Ruger never made the .444 ... Seemed like a natural to me. smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
here is one of my former rifles cry

chambered in 223 .... built by Jim Brockman for Dave Talley's wife

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I just got my first Ruger single shot. It's a No.3. 45-70. I figured I could shoot a bunch of my stout loads [all the 3031 that will fit] and it would cure this crazy azzed hankering I've been having for a No.1 .416 Rigby. Well it kicks, but nothing like the posts I just read. I've still got all my fillings. I'm still thinking about a .416. Maybe if it ever warms up I'll shoot it a bunch wearing just a t-shirt. Maybe that will help.

I've had all that I wanted of alot of things I've had, and alot more than I've needed of some things that turned out bad.
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
It's not a crazy hankering, one day I realized I truly needed a 416 and I couldn't be happier than I am with the #1H. I am now fully prepared for any of the rut crazed blacktails. I would rather shoot my #1H in 416 Rigby than the #3 in 45/70. My #3 45/70 does hurt, I learned to drop my bottom 3 fingers below the lever and that seemed to help.

"When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man."
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Good luck with them crazed blacktails. grin You weren't much help. I'm hoping someone will bring me to my senses. I've never forgot years ago reading Paul Mathews books, and chuckling about him hunting little whitetails with a No.1 .375 H&H. .416 isn't nearly as crazy. Right? crazy

I've had all that I wanted of alot of things I've had, and alot more than I've needed of some things that turned out bad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a #3 in 45-70 and converted it to 222 without even firing a single shot thru it in the original chambering. I dropped the ugly barrel band and stock and put on a Fajen with a Shilen barrel. It looks and shoots good.

Last edited by Rolly; 02/23/09.

Rolly
IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hello fellas, I'm new here. When I saw this thread I could not help but join in.

Several years ago now a poor tired #3 came into my family of firearms. It started out life as a 45-70, but someone decided to bend the tang and do other unmentionables to it. The tang situation was taken care of by the time I got it, but the rifle was stil in pieces .... perfect for a project.

I'm a predator hunter and I wanted to build a rifle for that. Since I already had a #1 in 22-250 this one was going to be a 223 Rem.

For the metal work it got a shilen #5 barrel cut to 22", and chambered for 223 Rem. (if I was to do it over again it would get a 223AI chamber).

A 223 extractor came from Gun Parts

The trigger is a moyer which is mated to a speed hammer, I can't remember who's right now.

The base is a standard #1 base, I'd do this differently if it was done again.

The wood is standard #3 wood, with some wood removed. The butt stock was cut to accept a thin recoil pad. the wood on top was smoothed and the grip area was brought down so my hand fir the lever. I cut the wood to look similar to an english stocked shotgun.

The rings are from Burris and the scope is a Baush & Lomb 3000 Elite 3x9.

This is my absolute GO-TO coyote hunting rig, it fits me like a glove and shoots better than a Ruger single shot should. I've tried, but I can't leavel home without it......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome! Nice 'yoter. I sure would like to find on in .223 or Hornet.

What would you select over the factory #1 rib?

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
There are several 2 piece weaver style bases that would work well for this application. For instance the bases used on #1v's. Here's my theory on eht Ruger Rib. The Ruger Rib is nice looking, but doesn't allow for stress relief in the mounting system which adds to some of the accuracy problems associated with Ruger Single shots. ..... Then again, the stresses are removed from the Rib and transfered into the scope. It's all a balancing act I suppose. My #3 shoots great, but I'm not so sure about when it gets hot which rarely happens. This is not a PD rig, it's a Predator hunting rig, after two or three shots the shootin's done for a while.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I suspect it was the clunky feel and the recoil with the heavier calibers it was produced in..I never liked the #3 at all...I love the no. 1's..I think most folks felt like I did, and Ruger dropped it..The only reason they drop designs is because they don't sell, end of story.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Welcome Hedgehog... great to have another single shot fan join the club.

I had prediter hunting in mind as well when I did some unmentionables to an old No.3 not long ago:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are several 2 piece weaver style bases that would work well for this application. For instance the bases used on #1v's. Here's my theory on eht Ruger Rib. The Ruger Rib is nice looking, but doesn't allow for stress relief in the mounting system which adds to some of the accuracy problems associated with Ruger Single shots. ...

I've heard that explaination before. I don't understand how the rib doesn't allow for stress relief, but a mounted scope in a two base system cures the problem. Oh well, it doesn't matter if I get it or not. I didn't buy my RSI to target shoot, and ignorance can be somewhat blissful. I really like the look of the rib. I did read a "fix" once where the front attachment of the rib was "floated" by removing the threads and floated in some elastic substance inside the hole.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ian, I really like the lever on that #3. Do you mind sharing how you managed that?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could ugliness have entered into the picture? smile

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/25/09. Reason: provide missing letters

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Thanks prostrate8. I'm afraid it wasn't any cool trick or technique I can share though... I just picked up a MAP gas bottle torch at the home improvement store, heated it, bent it, cut off the bit on the end that looked like it didn't belong, and filed out the plier marks when I was done. I remember having to heat it up and tweek the final curve two more times to get it to follow the trigger gard as close as I wanted, and then experimented with some quenching/temporing afterwards.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I imagine you had to do a bit of work to install the #1 trigger guard on the #3 action or was the process the other way around, you installed a modified #3 lever on a #1?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 163bc, 1badf350, 160user, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.