-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just picked up a brand new Ruger 10/22 and two 25 round Butler Creek magazines. I loaded them up with Federal American Eagle rounds. The rifle failed to cycle correctly even once. I would fire, then have to pull the bolt handle back to clear the case that failed to eject. It happened everytime. The factory ten round mag was a little better, but still had some issues. Any help? Thanks!

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
GB1

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like the cartridges are a little on the weak side. Did you try any other ammunition? Betting that might cure it...lets say...CCI mini mags during break-in period... just a thought.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stephen,

I'll echo what 21 suggested: Try some mini-mags. The 10-22 action is blow-back operated, and will hopefully do better with a little hotter ammo. As your action loosens up (likely somewhere between 500 and 1000 rounds) it should function fine with whatever ammo you feed it.

If you're still having problems, polish up the guide rod and use some dry lube spray (don't lubricate it with oil--it'll get gummy).

One question though: When you say it fails to eject, does the spent brass get removed from the chamber and then pinned half in and half out of the ejection port by the bolt coming forward (called stovepiping) or does the spent round simply stay in the chamber? If it's staying in the chamber, do you have any trouble getting it out or do you simply pull the bolt back and it gets flipped out?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
It's not a mag or ammo issue really. All brand new 10/22s have that problem out of the box. Like Waders said, just let the action naturally loosen up by putting 500+ rounds through it.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The majority of the cases stovepiped, When I pulled the bolt handle back they cleared, but I was having to do it for every round. I will try some hotter rounds. Thanks for the help!

-Stephen White

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stovepiping is caused by a slow or incomplete cycling of the bolt. In my limited experience, hotter ammo and polishing the guide rod are the two easiest things to try first. Also check to make sure your scope base mounting screws aren't coming all the way through and rubbing the the top of your bolt.

As for magazines, I only use factory issue. Aftermarket mags caused all kinds of grief--especially if they didn't have steel lips on them. Buy some extra factory magazines (clear ones if you want something different) and install an extended magazine release on your rifle. Once your rifle gets broke in, try the aftermarket magazines again.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago I bought a 10-22 that performed much as you described. It was a stainless, laminated model, NIB. We had been shooting that one and another 10-22 so I decided to visually compare them and then I decided to hand cycle some cartridges to see if I could spot anything wrong. After cycling about the second or third round in the new rifle it would eject but not clear the receiver cutout or notch, in the stock. It would stovepipe and block the action. I tried the older one and could see where the top of the cutout was lower than on the new one.

A little filing or maybe it was Dremeling, cleared that up and it's run fine ever since.

[Linked Image]
C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
check the bolt face too, sometimes they get out of the factory not 100% clean, if that extractor isn't clinging to the rim fast, it will stovepipe as well.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 61 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,945
Posts18,519,152
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.